There's a new Fallout game...sort of

Man of Honour
Caveat: I haven't played this yet.

Strictly speaking it's a mod for FONV (and thus requires FONV as well as the DLCs for it), but it's a new gameworld about the same size as a complete Fallout game, takes about as long to do as a complete Fallout game (~50 hours for the main questline, ~100 hours with side quests and exploration), adds ~350 new voiced NPCs, ~27,000 lines of voiced dialogue, 3 seperate playthrough questlines (1 for each faction), many new side quests, some new creatures, many new weapons, many new items of clothing, actual weather, vehicles that work properly (using its own vehicle coding) including rideable animals, etc, etc. So it genuinely is sort of a new Fallout game.

It's also pretty much lore-friendly as it ties in with pre-existing lore as required but is set in an area not really touched by previous Fallout games (Portland, Oregan) so it doesn't clash with them.

Fallout fans might find it worth a look. There's a Steam page with an auto-installer for an easy way in for people not used to modding FONV. You do need FONV and all the DLCs for it, but the mod itself is free and FONV GOTY edition is buttons nowadays. Anyway, people who like Fallout almost certainly have FONV and all the DLCs already.

EDIT: Silly me, I forgot to include the mod/game's name :) It's called The Frontier.

Soldato
Will defo check this out. I actually fired up Fallout again the last few months. Got everyone up to level 50, etc

Edit: Thought this was fallout shelter :(

Associate
Think steam build for this is delayed due to some issues. At the moment, I can only add it to my wishlist but believe its available via Nexus which went live on 15th Jan.

Soldato
Sounds pretty impressive. I tried to replay FO3 not too long ago but just didn't really feel it. Not sure why... Certainly hasn't aged well.

Yea same, Fallout 3 isn't great, I tried playing it on some hard setting, and it isn't harder as such, you just do less damage Vs damage received and you get worn down, but it's rediculous shooting tons of rounds at a target before it goes down. I'm sure there are tons of mods to fix it though if you could be bothered.

There are also a lot of UI changes and the whole thing is a lot less clunky in New Vegas, which was (IMO) was far superior, unfortunately just rushed the launch with game breaking bugs which irreparably tainted it.

I will say about Fallout 3 though, Harold the tree was great, a character from the original game. But other than that yea, as you say, not aged well.

Edit: although, it's easy not to realise, it's 13 years old now..... Bet that makes you feel old.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Edit: although, it's easy not to realise, it's 13 years old now..... Bet that makes you feel old.

Haha, it should prompt me to start acknowledging my age (38) but it never does.

If anything it just reminds me how disappointing it is to see how all these once great franchises are now reduced to gutter trash. FO4 was quite possibly the biggest let down in gaming history for me. Actually Civ 6 was pretty bad, as was RTW2 with that abominable card levelling mechanic. Some iterations were slated so badly I never bothered playing them (Supcom2, DA2, X-Rebirth etc etc). There was a thread not too long ago discussing exactly this. It was a very telling read.

And just going back to Fallout again, most would agree that NV was the better game, but that's probably thanks to Bethesda letting someone else make it ;)

Back
Top Bottom