Shoes Shoes Shoes

Caporegime
Fair enough, seems like it is a one man operation and I suspect he'd have to charge even more if hand making individual custom orders like that! Still pretty cool and a nice bespoke product to have regardless and certainly the sort of business that is nice to support. :)

Soldato
I have two pairs which are not made in England and they are both beautiful. I have the traditional 8 lace hole ones, and a pair of Chelsea boots. I don't think there's any way they could be much better to be honest. The price difference between the made in England and Thai (or wherever) models I don't think is enough to justify the difference, but then I've never owned the English ones.

Either way, I've never worn more comfortable boots than the 8 lace hole ones (sorry, can't remember the proper name).

Man of Honour
I bought my daughter some DM's last year. They are the regular 8 lace hole boots, not the Made in England versions. But they are really nice and sturdy.

Soldato
What's the life span of handmade shoes? I see Loake will re-sole / refurbish their shoes for £80

Leather soles wear out pretty quick if you wear them every day, like for work, and are lethal on wet paving slabs, I'd just use them for special occasions/dress shoes. - I'd usually go for rubber or a half and half type sole. The uppers should last a long time if they are looked after, i.e. bit of polish now and again.

Permabanned
Leather soles wear out pretty quick if you wear them every day, like for work, and are lethal on wet paving slabs, I'd just use them for special occasions/dress shoes. - I'd usually go for rubber or a half and half type sole. The uppers should last a long time if they are looked after, i.e. bit of polish now and again.

these bad boys have lasted me, yes a little polish here and there and they come up great.
i tried for a walk the other day when it was icy i got around 10 yards and came back home and switched for my trainers :)

Soldato
Should be rotating leather sole shoes to let them rest. Dainite as a better alternative if its wet, but the rotation point still stands.

2 pairs of leather sole shoes 'in parallel' will outlast 2 in sequence by an exponential amount. Same as suit trousers and jeans.

Commissario
What's Dr. Martens like these days are they still worth the money or has the quality changed?
I looked into them last year and the general opinion is that even the Made in England DMs are poor compared to how they used to be with much thinner leather.

I emailed them on the 15th October to ask about their Made in England boots with a question that wasn't answered on their site. I got a standard reply which pointed me at their website and it said that if I didn't reply within seven days, my question would be closed. I emailed them straight back with a clarification but I heard nothing back.

That along with the more recent and scathing reviews about their quality meant I didn't buy from them.

Soldato
I looked into them last year and the general opinion is that even the Made in England DMs are poor compared to how they used to be with much thinner leather.

I emailed them on the 15th October to ask about their Made in England boots with a question that wasn't answered on their site. I got a standard reply which pointed me at their website and it said that if I didn't reply within seven days, my question would be closed. I emailed them straight back with a clarification but I heard nothing back.

That along with the more recent and scathing reviews about their quality meant I didn't buy from them.
I bought some gloves from Dents over Christmas. Similar "pay no interest" customer service when I enquired about altering the abnormal thumb size their Made in England range have. Shame.

Soldato
Didn't fancy starting a new thread but I'm sure someone here would have a good recommendation.

Any comfortable insoles people can recommend for a pair of wellington boots? I've just tried putting insoles from my other shoes into them but they're still pretty uncomfortable.

They're only rubbish Tresspass ones which I spent £15 on so I'm not sure if it's just the nature of wellington boots that they're uncomfortable - in which case maybe I should just sack them off and buy some gore-tex walking boots or do I try and get a decent pair of Barbour/Hunters wellies which may be a better product.

Back
Top Bottom