**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Thrilled. Managed to snag a
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition.
Tried playing this with keyboard & mouse and a xbox gamepad. As pretty as this game looks I feel a flight stick is essential and I'm hoping now to play SW Squadrons now also (again was waiting on a good hotas deal) Had FS2020 since launch and probably oy played it about an hour if that. For me it's a bit like playing say Fifa on a keyboard instead of a gamepad. I hope its worth it and the cost was only £64 which I don't think is too bad considering how damn hard these are to find. Ive been fortunate as I have everything I intended to buy since September 2020. I do feel for those who are still waiting on components and I'm aware I'm a lucky boy right now.
Arrives tomorrow and am seriously looking forward as covid is making doing anything outside the home tough.

Associate
How well does this run on the Quest 2 and what is the image quality like, reading A320 displays for example ? I had to return my Reverb G2 due to a fault and am getting a refund because there is no stock. I'm considering a quest 2 and this is one of the main sims/games I play.

Caporegime
Is there anywhere that gives the best settings for the 3080?
JayzTwoCents did a decent video about Flight Sim settings and what can be reduced with minimal visual penalty.

However the 3080 should do mid 30s FPS with everything on ultra 4K and 1:1 resolution.

Personally I'm on an overclocked 3070 and run most things at 4K ultra but with things like bloom and DoF disabled, 1:1 resolution scaling, and detail settings for scenery and objects reduced from 200 to 150.

Associate
See here for some quest 2 vs rift s vs G2 impressions for msfs, for reference he is currently on a 1080Ti I believe.

Thanks for that, it looks more promising than I thought. I would go Index but I have a feeling there could be an update to that later this year given it's life cycle so a Quest 2 would tie me over until then.

Man of Honour
I love this game but struggling with my X52 HOTAS; just seems to be off quite consistently veering off to the right; I've checked everything but think I'll need to accelerate getting it swapped.
I knew there was a couple of dodgy selections on the hat switch on the stick but able to work around for now (and I don't want to be without!)

Caporegime
I love this game but struggling with my X52 HOTAS; just seems to be off quite consistently veering off to the right; I've checked everything but think I'll need to accelerate getting it swapped.
I knew there was a couple of dodgy selections on the hat switch on the stick but able to work around for now (and I don't want to be without!)
CPU overclocked? My Logitech yoke was veering to the right and it turned out to be the result of too high an overclock. Only other symptom was an occasional BSOD when I plugged it in. Once I dialled that back slightly, the calibration was perfect.

Not sure if it's a common way for FS to react to overclocks but worth mentioning anyway.

Man of Honour
CPU overclocked? My Logitech yoke was veering to the right and it turned out to be the result of too high an overclock. Only other symptom was an occasional BSOD when I plugged it in. Once I dialled that back slightly, the calibration was perfect.

Not sure if it's a common way for FS to react to overclocks but worth mentioning anyway.

Thanks for mentioning! Not overclocked mine to be honest (yet anyway!)

Caporegime
JayzTwoCents did a decent video about Flight Sim settings and what can be reduced with minimal visual penalty.

However the 3080 should do mid 30s FPS with everything on ultra 4K and 1:1 resolution.

Personally I'm on an overclocked 3070 and run most things at 4K ultra but with things like bloom and DoF disabled, 1:1 resolution scaling, and detail settings for scenery and objects reduced from 200 to 150.
I’m only on 1440p. Still seems to dip badly at times with everything maxed

Man of Honour
Yeah, I think it’s called a hat switch, but it just snaps to certain views and doesn’t let you look freely around.

I've got the X52 setup with the hat-switch on the throttle controlling Views; Left Toggles Between Internal and External and Right toggles "Free Mode" once I'm in that I can use the little mouse thumbstick to pan and rotate and I can use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out.

Swapping this for the Warhog HOTAS tomorrow so need to see how I can map controls on that!

Soldato
Well, got my soldering iron today and properly wired up some controls. I now have everything working, rotary encoders -> arduino -> mobiflight -> FSUIPC -> MSFS, and the panel. I just need to design the panel to put it all in.

I was considering a G1000 replica, but dual rotary encoders are expensive, and I'm not bothered about the COM inputs and stuff. I'll design a custom panel with all the controls I use, and get a 3D printer to print it.

Back
Top Bottom