Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
I've got the original Ticwatch Pro and was going to buy the new one until I saw the reported problems (and the fact that the DD/MM is still backwards on the TN display)

This one I find amazing. I have no other issues with it (and tbf, this date issue is only on the Essential Mode screen, so it's not an issue either) but I find it amazing that after years of community comments about this, they've not fixed it.

Tea Drinker
Don
Garmin is so confusing :p too much choice, I’m looking for a smart watch to monitor general workouts that could be cycling, gym and treadmill.

Road bike I have wahoo cycling computer and a traxx turbo trainer linked to zwift.

Treadmill is old so not connectable.

Wrist strap needs to be 220mm plus

Budget £300

Any suggestions? Not particularly interested in other than popular brands.

Thanks

Soldato
This one I find amazing. I have no other issues with it (and tbf, this date issue is only on the Essential Mode screen, so it's not an issue either) but I find it amazing that after years of community comments about this, they've not fixed it.

Their community forum is a joke, I've had posts refused because I quoted the mods using the same BS year after year :D

Soldato
Now I've moved away from Apple and no longer using my Apple watch, what's the best equivalent?

I like to control spotify etc from my watch and also calorie and step counting.

Quite like the look of the Garmin watches and the Samsung smart watches.

Associate
Now I've moved away from Apple and no longer using my Apple watch, what's the best equivalent?

I like to control spotify etc from my watch and also calorie and step counting.

Quite like the look of the Garmin watches and the Samsung smart watches.

Do you care about NFC payments and who do you bank with?

Pretty much sounds like the same question as me, albeit £200-250 top end really. Wanting to get something for fitness that links to Strava for cycling too, Garmin does this direct and the Samsung watches effectively sync through the Samsung Health app. NFC for me is a must and my bank works with both Samsung and Garmin Pay.

So my choices seem to be the Galaxy Active 2, Garmin Venu or Vivoactive 3/4

Sho

Sho

Soldato
I use a Ticwatch pro 3. And NFC payment on that is very good.

The only draw back i've found is when i try using it in any Tesco stores, payments won't go through for some reason. Apart from that i use my watch as my defualt payments now.

Caporegime
Well I'm returning my Huawei GT2.

It's really good overall for the money, but the heart rate monitor is just ropey.

It starts off reading accurately enough after a watch reset, but when you start a workout or change a watch face, it starts massively under-reading the rate. Reckons I've got a HR of ~100 bpm after 45 minutes of skipping rope vs. another watch and HR monitor putting me around 145bpm.

Oh well, guess I'll have to start putting some proper money into this malarkey.

Soldato
So apparently around the 20th a beta firmware will be released for the Tiwatch Pro 3 which includes the FSTN backlight and date layout as well as general swipe and speed improvements... mine is currently transiting through Hong kong so hopefully will be with me soon along with my ANC earbuds. Went for mobvoi again for price, reasonable performance and the fact that at 90NZD that's good value given how long the batteries will likely last in them!

Caporegime
I use a Ticwatch pro 3. And NFC payment on that is very good.

The only draw back i've found is when i try using it in any Tesco stores, payments won't go through for some reason. Apart from that i use my watch as my defualt payments now.

So apparently around the 20th a beta firmware will be released for the Tiwatch Pro 3 which includes the FSTN backlight and date layout as well as general swipe and speed improvements... mine is currently transiting through Hong kong so hopefully will be with me soon along with my ANC earbuds. Went for mobvoi again for price, reasonable performance and the fact that at 90NZD that's good value given how long the batteries will likely last in them!

With the TicWatch 3 is there any way to have the OLED screen flash up with a wrist turn, rather than it being the always on LCD unless you press the button? Really don't want to have to press a button to view the OLED screen.

Soldato
I think you can disable the FSTN screen and just run the oled screen as an AoD... will reduce battery life but it may not be an issue if you charge most days.. Mines now in Auckland so hopefully will be with me tomorrow and I'll be able to confirm.

Caporegime
It shows the low power TN display then goes straight to the OLED display when I move my wrist.
Thanks.

Just bit the bullet and ordered a TicWatch Pro 3, GPS version.

I didn't really want to spend that much, but I decided I want Google Pay / Google infrastructure and more reliable fitness tracking.

Hoping the worries about water proofing and whatever else aren't a problem!

Associate
I've picked myself up a Fossil Gen 5 and had a few questions:

1. Is there a way I can remove/hide some of the default apps from the menu?...seems there are some duplicates of the same thing
2. Can I have a watch face that doesn't have "Fossil" all over it?
3. I used Google Pay for the first time today, I pressed the button to bring it up. Put it to the reader and it buzzed. I had to enter in a pin, then put it to the reader again. Is there any way I can get rid of the authentication, or do the authentication once when I put on the watch each day?
4. The buttons don't seem to work if you are already in an app...is there a way to get around this?
5. Any general tips for things to disable to improve battery/performance? Or just tips in general.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
2. Install Marine Commander, or Pujie Black.
5. I always did the 0.5 animations trick in Dev options like I do on my phone with my old Gen4.

Back
Top Bottom