• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 3090 and loud popping sounds from PC - capacitors blown?

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies all.

I think your suggestions may well be right - the case is getting too hot and when it cools down, it causes the metallic popping sound as the case panel attached to the motherboard flexes.

I've been playing a lot of RDR2 at 4K high settings, and it's been using pretty much 100% CPU, causing the CPU and motherboard sensor to read high temps, up to 85-90 deg C. I can feel significant heat on the outside of the case from around the CPU area.

It first popped when I closed the game the other day.... so the timing explains it.

The next step is to clean it out and add more case fans for airflow. Failing that, I might have to upgrade the CPU and cooler, and case. A good excuse to upgrade :)

Back
Top Bottom