Car noob - what are my options?

Soldato
Post-covid my mileage is going to increase a fair bit, up to 12k a year due to changing employer mid-pandemic, including an increased amount of cross country trips, so I think it's time to get a car a little more powerful than my 1L affair.

In the summer of this year the finance deal on my 2018 Fiesta is due to come to an end. At that time it'll only have ~13k on the clock, a couple of scratches, but otherwise excellent condition. It looks like they are selling on the used market for 9-10k, so paying the final payment, fixing the scratches and selling it myself seems to be the way to go.

But what to buy after? What are my options at £10k-14k for a 2nd hand car more suited to motorway journeys?
No SUV/mock SUVs, and tech wise it only needs a decent screen for Sat Nav and bluetooth for audio.

Many thanks :)

Associate
No SUV/mock SUVs, and tech wise it only needs a decent screen for Sat Nav and bluetooth for audio.

Mock suvs? I think you mean mock 4x4. They are two very different things.

I would have though that a car such as an Octavia/Leon/Golf would be a good replacement at that price. They are super comfortable at motorway speeds and are practically designed for motorway driving.

Associate
ive got the petrol Octavia VRS. its ace, a real mile muncher. i wasnt after it but ive got the dsg box, works really well. the built in "racing start" is fun to :p
driving is effortless and its just a nice car to sit in and drive

Associate
12k miles a year, either petrol or hybrid. Diesel if you plan 20k+, long journeys, otherwise you'll be looking for trouble.
Despite the hate towards VW, Golf is a decent car, but design and options are better on the same car under another badge (Leon, Octavia).
A Corolla (new shape) is a solid car. My brother owns one and loves it. About 15k+ now.
My previous Leon SC (2015), 1.8 Petrol was fun to drive. The Bridgestones would spin if accelerating too eager.
Particularly not big fan of Ford interiors.
Kia or Hyundai, some people may disagree (fair enough) will offer plenty of kit and are decent rides.

Soldato
Pretty much agree with what's already been said. I've been happy with my 2017 Leon FR 150 eco tsi. Nicely specced, cheap to run and nippy. Had it two years and zero problems. Cost me £11999 when bought with 9800 on the clock. Definitely a good car.

Associate
You might get a bit more for your Fiesta now we left the EU, I heard that there is a £1700.00 price rise on the new fiesta's as a result of leaving'

Back
Top Bottom