• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
People in here with 20 series cards waiting for an upgrade to a 30 series card :p... meanwhile I'm still using a 750ti and hoping a 1650 super pops up somewhere for a reasonable price :p

Caporegime
On the AMD site they have the RX 6800/6800XT listed at £513/£575. Puts this price gouging into perspective!
But they don't exist.

It's quite common for all etailers to list stock that you can't buy at a much lower price. It's get them hits on search engines.

When stock comes in, before you can buy, the price goes up. Often by a lot.

E.g. a product is £100 for months and shows OOS, and you can't preorder. Stock comes back in, the price is updated to £150 and you can order again.

It's just how most sites do business now.

Although AMD will (probably) sell for that price if - IF IF IF IF :p - they ever restock, the same principle applies, really. Don't pay any attention to prices where the etailer is OOS. You should consider them "fake" prices, until you can actually add to the basket and complete the purchase.

Associate
But they don't exist.

It's quite common for all etailers to list stock that you can't buy at a much lower price. It's get them hits on search engines.

When stock comes in, before you can buy, the price goes up. Often by a lot.

E.g. a product is £100 for months and shows OOS, and you can't preorder. Stock comes back in, the price is updated to £150 and you can order again.

It's just how most sites do business now.

Although AMD will (probably) sell for that price if - IF IF IF IF :p - they ever restock, the same principle applies, really. Don't pay any attention to prices where the etailer is OOS. You should consider them "fake" prices, until you can actually add to the basket and complete the purchase.

Yes i agree in general but as with Nvidia selling founders editions on there own site,when AMD sell on theirs they both are the only places to sell at RRP. Everybody else as you say is just promoting traffic with their fictional prices. I still have to remind myself what RRP is though as it is easy to forget with all these insane prices!

Soldato
Scary thing is, Even the lower tier 3090's are selling out fairly sharp at £1700+
Yet a OCUK competitor had 3090 FE's on their site for nearly 2 days before they sold out.

Associate
Yes i agree in general but as with Nvidia selling founders editions on there own site,when AMD sell on theirs they both are the only places to sell at RRP. Everybody else as you say is just promoting traffic with their fictional prices. I still have to remind myself what RRP is though as it is easy to forget with all these insane prices!

So this is my scalper table I've got on the corner of my screen. Everytime a drop drops, I take a glance at it and close the browser. As I draw the line at 10-15%, my current card is with me for the long haul (small number under card name are 18 game average at 1440p according to HU).

Screenshot-20210119-224242-Gallery.jpg

Caporegime
So this is my scalper table I've got on the corner of my screen. Everytime a drop drops, I take a glance at it and close the browser. As I draw the line at 10-15%, my current card is with me for the long haul (small number under card name are 18 game average at 1440p according to HU).

Screenshot-20210119-224242-Gallery.jpg
I applaud the commitment not to be scalped :) Good work!

Soldato
No point even trying the MM here, cards are being hoovered up minutes after posting. One member in particular has bought 3 cards in the last 3 days. :rolleyes: Must feel good spending your day hitting F5 and scalping your fellow community

Soldato
My 1070 is definitely showing its age at 1440p - nearly hit the button on a 3090 today but just can't manage to convince myself that it's worth the money.

I've never spent more than £300ish on a graphics card - I'm probably willing to go to £400 - but going to be hard to find a worthwhile upgrade for that money for a very long time by the looks of things

Associate
I got extremely lucky.
Sat down at my desk at work and thought I'd try checking for stock at a rival site one more time.
Lo and behold 3070 was in stock. As I looked at the item stock, stat was stating 53 people are buying right now!
As soon as I finished check-out it had sold out.
I reckon 100 cards sold out in 10 mins and I just happened to get my timing right.
I had also resigned myself to buying a card in the summer but if you lurk around you just might get lucky.

Soldato
My 1070 is definitely showing its age at 1440p - nearly hit the button on a 3090 today but just can't manage to convince myself that it's worth the money.

I've never spent more than £300ish on a graphics card - I'm probably willing to go to £400 - but going to be hard to find a worthwhile upgrade for that money for a very long time by the looks of things

Sounds about the same as myself to be honest. My Vega 56 was the most expensive card I bought over the past few years and had decided to go higher tier this time round but really can't justify spending on a 3090 even though the girlfriend insists I treat myself.

Caporegime
Given up trying to buy anything tbh.

Everybody is putting prices up and people are just buying everything they can get their hands on.

It's like a collective insanity has set in, and there's no signs of it going away.

People are just buying anything and everything regardless of the cost.

Such a **** time to be alive.

G J

G J

Associate
No point even trying the MM here, cards are being hoovered up minutes after posting. One member in particular has bought 3 cards in the last 3 days. :rolleyes: Must feel good spending your day hitting F5 and scalping your fellow community

I'm on Intel UHD 630 and been looking at posts the last few weeks but I understand what you mean as I have bad memories of the past mining boom without a card trying to get a card from the MM. Everything reasonably priced was being bought within a few minutes or semi-bidding wars to stupid price levels and it was annoying as **** as people bought multiple cards as one person got about 5 cards and attempted to get 2 more.

It done some good in a weird twisted way as I refuse to play the whole frantically checking sites and stock alerts just for the cards to be sold in minutes bs.

Only got a card in the end by asking someone in a for sale thead if he would be selling his other card in his sli build as I think he wasnt intending to sell it.

Try the wanted section as I may do soon as I played what I can with integrated Intel graphics and the drivers are bad as I'm still on Win 7 and its unsupported.

Last edited:
Associate
I have never been interested in the stock cards so mentally was never "in the game". By the time the waterblock models come out there's a slim chance the prices will be more in line with RRP since they tend to drop late in the cycle. My trusty 1080Ti will tie me over until then.

Back
Top Bottom