PC Turning Itself On and Off

Associate
Hey Guys and Gals
I own a https://www.overclockers.co.uk/titan-pulse-windows-8-edition-fs-294-oe.html
Nearly 9 years old now and it's served me very, very well.
However, the day before yesterday I woke up and found it had turned itself on at some point in the night. Then over the course of the day it turned itself off several times, twice just as though it had been unplugged and the rest shutting down.
Now it turns itself on and off over and over again, just for a few seconds, maybe over 10 times until eventually turning on or I unplug it.
I can't imagine a reason that would cause it to turn itself on. I've checked the power button and that seems fine. I'm not technically gifted and gave it a quick Google, most people seem to say it's likely the PSU has failed?

Associate
OP
I'm afraid to say I haven't got a clue :( Many times over the years it's said 'overclocking failed', and it's done it twice again today. I don't know if this has anything to do with me unseating the graphics card earlier whilst I was cleaning the pc.

Man of Honour
I'm afraid to say I haven't got a clue :( Many times over the years it's said 'overclocking failed', and it's done it twice again today. I don't know if this has anything to do with me unseating the graphics card earlier whilst I was cleaning the pc.
Unstable overclock means it needs tweaking which can be complex so the next best thing would be to set the bios to default settings.

Or

As @Admiral Huddy says it could be the psu which could make the overclock unstable.

Do you know anyone who could help you troubleshoot ?

Soldato
Besides PSU could be also motherboard tiring from overclocked CPU.
That probably increased power draw notably from stock settings.

And definitely change "BIOS" battery.

Associate
OP
I've just remembered that the first power-off, which was more like a trip, happened when I took my toothbrush off of its charger, but they're on separate plug sockets and nothing else in the house was affected, (if that could have had anything to do with it). I'm just talking to my friend Tom now, he knows about P.C's, so hopefully he'll be able to help.

Associate
OP
Managed to get a hold of a multimeter and test my psu. All the voltages came out fine, though it wasn't running anywhere near as fast as it does when it's in my pc. It didn't power on or off by itself either.

Associate
OP
Well, I'm sorry to say the PSU apparently wasn't the cause of the problem. After probably a day of running smoothly, the P.C. reset once, then a again the next day. However, last night at 5am,it decided to start turning itself on and off again, as it was before. My friend Tom guided me through the BIOS to reset the overclock but this hasn't made any difference.
Perhaps the PWR header on the mobo is loose ?
Can anyone tell me where I can find this to check if it is loose?

Associate
Well, I'm sorry to say the PSU apparently wasn't the cause of the problem. After probably a day of running smoothly, the P.C. reset once, then a again the next day. However, last night at 5am,it decided to start turning itself on and off again, as it was before. My friend Tom guided me through the BIOS to reset the overclock but this hasn't made any difference.

Can anyone tell me where I can find this to check if it is loose?

On the bottom of your mobo should be a diagram. On this it will say " PWR switch " . Just make sure all the connections at the bottom of the mobo are definitely connected.

Back
Top Bottom