Have I been ripped off ?

Soldato
well if he want to BMW they would have charged you for a new bumper plus a £££ for the matt finish. I would think the best part of £1.5k+

You did well to get away with £250

Caporegime
Thank you all for your inputs. Let's put this to bed for now.

For future reference, if this happens to anyone , what are the steps that one should take ?

Well I'd report my brother to DVLA because clearly he shouldn't have a license if he cannot park a car in a car park in the rain without hitting another stationary parked car.

Also in future £250 is literally nothing for painting a BMW. A full respray of the panel in this case bumper is required to get a decent match and BMW paint alone isn't cheap. O would have expected a much bigger bill especially for a 6 series.

Soldato
There's a few things with this post I'm finding a little unsettling (on top of the xenophobia).

a) OP refers to his "younger sibling" and then says "his"... why not say uhm... brother?

b) OP openly admits in a previous thread that he sucks at parallel parking. Perhaps he's not amazing at bay parking too.

c) Both him and his brother suffer from bad parallel parking syndrome.

d) Both him and his brother own a Focus.

e) A lot of other people at car parks have hit the OPs Focus :(

Associate
OP
There's a few things with this post I'm finding a little unsettling (on top of the xenophobia).

a) OP refers to his "younger sibling" and then says "his"... why not say uhm... brother?

b) OP openly admits in a previous thread that he sucks at parallel parking. Perhaps he's not amazing at bay parking too.

c) Both him and his brother suffer from bad parallel parking syndrome.

d) Both him and his brother own a Focus.

e) A lot of other people at car parks have hit the OPs Focus :(

Let me calm your heart :
a - Definitely my younger sibling - my brother. My brother's problem is also my problem as I was taking care of it on his behalf.
b - Yes, I do only with parallel parking. No, I don't have any issues with bay parking. If I did, I would have scratched every car in every supermarket car park I have ever been to! I am not that bad.
c - Where did I mention that my brother has parallel parking problems?
d - Yes, we do. In fact, same year and same colour. Mine is a 07 , His is a 57.
e - Come to London and you will find out too!

Associate
OP
So, fellas, I went to see my brother today. I also saw that parked BMW, right next to my brother's car.
Guess what? The guy didn't repair his car. The scruff mark and the black dot are still there.

Where are all of you who had such moral high grounds? - could you step forward please?

Soldato
So, fellas, I went to see my brother today. I also saw that parked BMW, right next to my brother's car.
Guess what? The guy didn't repair his car. The scruff mark and the black dot are still there.

Where are all of you who had such moral high grounds? - could you step forward please?
What difference does it make to you? Get a grip. You got away with leaving the scene of an accident and no insurance claim. It's non of your business if he decides to repair the car or not. Your the mug for still thinking he got away with something when your the careless xenophobe.

Soldato

We are in a national lockdown, maybe the guy doesn't see getting a scratch repaired as "essential". Maybe we should take the moral high ground and tell you to stay at home instead?

How can someone be so ignorant to think they are doing someone a favour by damaging their pride and joy and giving them a poxy £250 to make up for it?

Associate
OP
We are in a national lockdown, maybe the guy doesn't see getting a scratch repaired as "essential". Maybe we should take the moral high ground and tell you to stay at home instead?

How can someone be so ignorant to think they are doing someone a favour by damaging their pride and joy and giving them a poxy £250 to make up for it?

I was in the body shop with the driver and I paid the body shop. The body shop invoiced me as well. Why on earth would the body shop then not repair the car?

Associate
OP
What difference does it make to you? Get a grip. You got away with leaving the scene of an accident and no insurance claim. It's non of your business if he decides to repair the car or not. Your the mug for still thinking he got away with something when your the careless xenophobe.

I didn't hit anyone. Please re-read the posts!

Soldato
I was in the body shop with the driver and I paid the body shop. The body shop invoiced me as well. Why on earth would the body shop then not repair the car?
Maybe they have a backlog due to the snow and loads of people crashing? Maybe they have staffing issues due to Covid? Maybe they are waiting on materials due to Brexit and Covid?

The list of reasons are endless, you got lucky with a £250 bill to repair a car that is well known to be expensive to fix. I bumped the front end of my 2011 BMW F11 and the invoice to my insurance was over £3600!

Accept the fact that you got lucky and forget about it.

Associate
OP
Maybe they have a backlog due to the snow and loads of people crashing? Maybe they have staffing issues due to Covid? Maybe they are waiting on materials due to Brexit and Covid?

The list of reasons are endless, you got lucky with a £250 bill to repair a car that is well known to be expensive to fix. I bumped the front end of my 2011 BMW F11 and the invoice to my insurance was over £3600!

Accept the fact that you got lucky and forget about it.

The driver's car was the first in the queue of five cars and the bodyshop had ample staff.
I admit that it was careless of my brother and it was his fault in the first place. He should have also left a note.

But, I cannot stand what this guy has done.
Maybe,
I should have been adamant - come to my body shop or sod off.
Or
Paid his bodyshop AFTER the job was done.
Or
Maybe my brother should have been a legal ah - show me proof that it was me or it never happened.

Associate
The driver's car was the first in the queue of five cars and the bodyshop had ample staff.
I admit that it was careless of my brother and it was his fault in the first place. He should have also left a note.

Maybe,
Or
Or
Maybe my brother should have been a legal ah - show me proof that it was me or it never happened.
get over it

Soldato

Maybe,
Or
Or

Your replies are weird. You and your brother got off lightly, move on.

Soldato

Jeez, get a grip.

You paid him £250 compensation for carelessly damaging his property. Whether he gets it repaired is immaterial and it's his perogative as to whether he wants to repair it all not.

This is not even considering that he may have to wait to get the damage repaired with many body shops having weeks of backlogs. Or he may have lost his job and think that the £250 is better spent on food shopping/bills now, and he'll get the bumper repaired when he gets another job. Or maybe one of the million other scenarios that could be in play that are none of your business.

I can't believe you're moaning about £250 either. If the guy wanted to get it done through his insurance, your excess would have likely been around £250 as a starting point, plus 5 years of inflated premiums for having a fault claim. £250 was never going to cover getting a matt coloured BMW bumper resprayed. It is exceptionally difficult to get colours and finishes to match surrounding panels with matt colours and often several panels will need to be painted and blended to get it to look right. And I'm guessing he doesn't want it to look like your brother's front bumper...

Last edited:
Soldato
I honestly would move on. Regardless as to whether he gets it done, he is owed compensation to accommodate the fact he may decide to get it done if it bothers him in time. £250 is likely your excess anyway?

Soldato

Maybe,
Or
Or
Get a grip

Soldato
c - Where did I mention that my brother has parallel parking problems?
Implied from this. If he can't reverse park he's hardly going to be a mastermind at parallel parking is he?
e - Come to London and you will find out too!
I'm there all the time.

By the way, did you pay for your askMID check? I was trying it but it only seemed I'd have to pay to get results.

Soldato

It doesn't really matter if he fixes it now, in 6 months, or in 2 years just before he sells it, or even doesn't bother to fix it, and when he comes to sell the car, and the buyer points out the scrape on the bumper and knocks the price down based on this? Why should the owner have to lose that money out of his own pocket because your brother can't park?

If the guy wanted to get it done through his insurance, your excess would have likely been around £250 as a starting point,
£250 is likely your excess anyway?

You don't pay your excess on 3rd party repairs ;)

Man of Honour
did you pay for your askMID check? I was trying it but it only seemed I'd have to pay to get results.
You can get an insurance status for free (e.g. the car is or isn't insured). But you need to pay to get details of the actual insurance company (company name, phone number, etc).

Soldato
Its entirely possible that the car has been booked in for repairs but not yet started. Also, if i damaged someones car like you did i would be happy to pay £250 and calling it quits.

Back
Top Bottom