Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Man of Honour
ACtC-3fdYcVOLiGSKcOVHgLs7NvMjmj-GLcydOHUjHejmw8P2kIxDmIAxZY45L9vVfuvahAKsCOOPzzIFUjBj5b7ed6S2fF54BVwX1KZHgzREHJ85Js1Xq7fcRVq3lpDYZTLiBf6aiWOg1rmcc3Nm1yPyLSJ3Q=w1440-h1105-no

Just put the deposit down on this, should be in here a week or two.

Some nice bits of carbon, arrow can,ohlins rear shock and some other bits and bobs over standard.

Soldato
Nice one, I almost bought one but went for the CB650R in the end, would like one for when I'm not using the Tiger and weather is nice but can't afford another bike.

Man of Honour
It's a bit of a change from the big old blackbird but I'm looking forward to going back to something a bit more nimble and a lot lighter.

I've managed to hold out since I sold the bird in September but I couldn't go any longer without something two wheeled sat in the garden.

Soldato
It's a bit of a change from the big old blackbird but I'm looking forward to going back to something a bit more nimble and a lot lighter.

I've managed to hold out since I sold the bird in September but I couldn't go any longer without something two wheeled sat in the garden.

I'm in a bit of tricky position. I want a new bike but the house we've just bought and moved into doesn't have a drive/garage but we have a dedicated parking space. My R6 is currently living there just fine but I don't know if I'd want to put a nicer bike there.

Transmission breaker
Don
A lad who lives near me put an appeal on Facebook to help him with his motorbike problem on a 63 plate derbi terra (I think).

I said I would take a look, so got him to wheel it over to my garage. Got him to wheel it in, and we had a socially distanced discussion about it whilst I gave it a look over.

Started relay was welding itself closed so it would sit there trying to start all day till it killed the battery.
Got a new one on order, but my god, the bike is a wreck. The poor lad paid £800 for it, and it can't be worth more than half that. I took apart the relay and it was not working well even after a clean, and kept getting stuck.

There are loose wires, sensors hanging off, missing hoses, the fuel is blue(?), Front brake is binding, it's rusty all over. The chain is very loose, and I suspect if anyone ever tried to touch the exhaust it will disintegrate. I also think the carb might be incorrect, as its held in place with zip ties..

I'm not going to charge him for the part (it's only a tenner), but I feel bad if I let him ride the thing in that state, but he's not exactly rolling in it to be able to buy anything better.

I think I will give it a mini service once I have had a proper listen to the engine as he claims "it's a bit rattly", and see what I can straighten up. Then perhaps take a look at the brake, but I am in two minds, as I have worked on these Chinese bikes before and you just end up chasing problems as you try to undo/replace/fix things :(

Just venting really!!

Transmission breaker
Don
Thought the derbi bikes were okay? Good for you for helping out.

Blue fuel is probably someone adding two stroke for the smell innit. Assuming it’s a four stroke.

In all honesty, I just assumed they were a Chinese special? Never come across them before, and will see what the thing smells like when I have a proper listen to it today!

Man of Honour
A lad who lives near me put an appeal on Facebook to help him with his motorbike problem on a 63 plate derbi terra (I think).

I said I would take a look, so got him to wheel it over to my garage. Got him to wheel it in, and we had a socially distanced discussion about it whilst I gave it a look over.

Started relay was welding itself closed so it would sit there trying to start all day till it killed the battery.
Got a new one on order, but my god, the bike is a wreck. The poor lad paid £800 for it, and it can't be worth more than half that. I took apart the relay and it was not working well even after a clean, and kept getting stuck.

There are loose wires, sensors hanging off, missing hoses, the fuel is blue(?), Front brake is binding, it's rusty all over. The chain is very loose, and I suspect if anyone ever tried to touch the exhaust it will disintegrate. I also think the carb might be incorrect, as its held in place with zip ties..

I'm not going to charge him for the part (it's only a tenner), but I feel bad if I let him ride the thing in that state, but he's not exactly rolling in it to be able to buy anything better.

I think I will give it a mini service once I have had a proper listen to the engine as he claims "it's a bit rattly", and see what I can straighten up. Then perhaps take a look at the brake, but I am in two minds, as I have worked on these Chinese bikes before and you just end up chasing problems as you try to undo/replace/fix things :(

Just venting really!!
Good on you for helping. Just a thought; although it will be a bit tricky while distancing could you show him what you're doing when you service it? That way you're giving him the gift of knowledge and what to look out for on the next bike.

Man of Honour
Top man for helping although by the sounds of it I'd be very wary of possibly walking yourself into a major headache as it sounds like it's in the sort of state where things may start breaking as you try to sort it out which he may then expect you to sort off your own back.

Soldato

Didn't want to spend a lot on a new helmet and this Nolan N87 fits the B901 intercom i used on my N100-5, seems like a good quality helmet for the money.

Nice lid! I'm in the market for a new lid. Tempted to buy the same Shoei as it's really comfortable. Only reason I need a new one is I haven't had my haircut since March and it's basically a 70s style afro at the moment. I don't think I'd be able to fit my head in it now! It was a struggle when I tried a few weeks ago

Man of Honour
I've just found all the carbon parts available for the STriple while idly browsing at work, I'm either going to have to find a way to get a nice big pay rise or cancel the wedding...I'm sure the mrs won't mind :o

I now have thoughts in my head of changing the rear tail and fly screen to CF and having the tank wrapped matte black.

Soldato
I've just found all the carbon parts available for the STriple while idly browsing at work, I'm either going to have to find a way to get a nice big pay rise or cancel the wedding...I'm sure the mrs won't mind :o

I now have thoughts in my head of changing the rear tail and fly screen to CF and having the tank wrapped matte black.

Do it, do it and do it some more! That sounds like it would be lovely!

Soldato
I'll be buying another visor and pinlock for my n100-5 and stick the padding in the wash, couple of scratches on the outside helmet but should be good for another couple of years to go with the n87.

Deffo a good value helmet and intercom installation is pretty tidy.

Soldato

Some crap looks like it's melted on one of my headers, was spotless yesterday when i applied acf50, what's the best way to get rid without messing it up more.

I melted my my trousers onto the headers of a Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer when I was walking it into the garage. I lightly heated it up with a blow torch and carefully scraped off with a Stanley blade. Got the worst of it off. Annoyingly the exhaust is not polished so can't go too hard without scratching it.

Soldato
I did get most of it off when it melted again but it's left a horrible mark, exhaust looks pretty horrible just now as does the lower part of the bike with all the salt and crud stuck on it but i'm not cleaning it for another couple of months so i don't need to reapply the ACF50 again.

I'll get some autosol and a rag on it when i clean the bike in the future.

Back
Top Bottom