• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade path 8700k 5GHZ?

Associate
Is there anything out there which will give me a worth while upgrade. I mainly use for gaming Iracing is one of my main uses which is vey single core heavy. Also VR. I notice the AMD offerings are pushing these speeds nealy at stock, or is this just a boost for short moments? If I can run 4.8 or 4.9 on a new chip then surly the IPC gains will trump my 8700k all cores at 5ghz?
All the research just gives a lot of information on like for like, but not that helpful comparing against my set up scenario. Mainly because it is unclear if those speeds are maintained and against how many cores. I`m guessing people are gona say don`t bother at the moment?

Just to add running 3080 and a revertb G2 so want to push as much performance as I can for this goodness.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a fine chip, especially at a nice 5GHz. I moved on from it and have buyers remorse so I would recommend sticking with it for now.

I moved to a Threadripper 1900X first, followed by 3800X. Now I feel like I'm back at par or thereabouts with the old 8700k while having a much lighter wallet.

The newest chips now will be an upgrade but I doubt you'll notice it in day to day use.

Soldato
I'd agree with Marak in that it's not worth upgrading yet as any gains would be minimal, stick with it till the next time you upgrade the GPU.

Just goes to show what good value the 8700k is when it's been out for 3 years yet AMDs 5600X has only just edged past it in gaming performance while only costing £50 less.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Keep it. I upgraded from a 8086k for other reasons to a 3960X and I then went in another direction and I'm back with Intel with a 10700k. I wish I'd have never have bothered. I replaced the AMD rig with a 2x Xeon HP Workstation which fulfils those needs now. That said, when in Windows I didn't have any issues with AMD.

Associate
I would say don't bother unless you're going to a 5900X.
I was due an upgrade from work so I went from a 8700k to 3900X - gaming performance difference was negligible, and even worse in some older titles (eg. Diablo 3 runs particularly poorly on the 3900X). For general usage and multithreaded usage the performance is there, but for gaming it's not going to blow you away.

Soldato
for gaming I wouldnt upgrade the negligible difference isnt worth it at 5ghz its still a beast you didnt mention the resolution are you playing at ?

Soldato
What IPC gains? :p

8700K is the same as a 10600K for all intents and purposes for gaming/SIM racing.

I'd say you are looking at end of this year or maybe Q1 '22 before you see something worth jumping to. :)

I think 10 series does have a few more percent some games over other intels at same clocks.

When I was looking at 104000kf benchmarks it was faster than my 9700k in some games.

I agree with other though there is nothing worth upgrading too.

I think 10 series does have a few more percent some games over other intels at same clocks.

When I was looking at 104000kf benchmarks it was faster than my 9700k in some games.

As always it can depends on resolution, @ 1440p and above with a modern GPU it should be neck and neck, I'm running a 8700 non-K @ 4k and it's matching modern i9's @ that res with a 3080.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone. So it seems not to bother. I think that where im limited my CPU still stands up at 5ghz well which is good, but means since im running a 3080 there not anywhere really to get more grunt. I run triples 5760x1080 144hz, and VR reverb G2 and I aim for about 50% SS 3k per eye seems to be about where im at for most games. With I racing I know I am really hampered because of the single core dependency and they dont feel they can change that in their engine. I cant turn the bells n whistles up because of the bottleneck.

Associate
I run triples 5760x1080 144hz,
I run exactly the same setup, have done for a while now with the 8700k and the 1080ti, just got the 3090fe to get more streaming done, it seems to have ironed out the dropped frames I was getting on the 1080ti, of course the 8700k is showing its age but looking on some comparisons on YouTube against the Intels up to the 10900k it doesn't fare as bad as I thought, obviously the higher the res, the closer it is, but 3 x 144 hz does give it some work.

I've had my 8700k @ 4.5ghz on all cores since I got it and it's not missed a beat to be fair.

Soldato

It's probably down to hyperthreading rather than IPC gains.

Soldato
did intel increase hyper threading performance?

10400 is a 6 core so is the 8700k / 8086k , both have 6 cores 12 threads
That was in reference to the 9700K which doesn't have HT but should still be faster in most games unless the games need more than 8 threads.

Back
Top Bottom