• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
u
Reading this thread, all I will say is that this is a big disaster!

You all deserve this! Why not just never pre order, and wait , that way these monopoly companies will get you stock in abundance. Now they have your money this will go on for months and months. They are making huge profits with a disaterous service and you reward it .
90% of people weren't preordering, the immense traffic on the website froze it meaning the stock levels didn't update so it looked like there was stock. Nonetheless, keep preaching your righteous spiel, it's entertaining.

Associate
Read the news!
Nvidias yield is not as good as expected so slower.
The GPUS they do yield are actually quite good and a bit too good for Non OC cards. Thus impacting AIB production versus demand.
Also there is a thing called covid19 affecting not only manufacturing but distribution as well.
Nevermind just the GPUs basic semi conductor components are in huge demand. Because of the covid issues but also because the industry had an enormous pre booked schedule from a certain Playstation5 and a certain X Box X and S
Then we have chinese tariffs from trump again causing quite a ripple in the tech market.
So big is that ripple that car manufacturers have ceased production or slowed due to semi conductor markets. And if you think a graphics card company will get ahead in the queue over the massive power and demand of a car manufacturer? Just no.
Here in the UK. Brexit!
Border checks, slower freight = more expensive freight.

So yes Taiwan - is still making chips and components and turning them into graphics cards.

But all of the above.
Add that to the fact that Ampere is thee largest jump in performance in years meaning eeeeeveryone wants to upgrade.
Add that to Ampere are so good Bitcoin mining cannot get enough GPUs.

And that bot nets and hacker nets at the tip of the scale are also soaking up as much new tech as they want....

Then you are up to date on why you are still in a queue for a card that released in October.

:)

First world problems.
Remember 790 MILLION!!!! people still have no access to fresh water.

Roughly.
Oh I wasn't talking about why it's happening, I'm talking about the behind the scenes stuff that nobody knows about. All we know is some vague information.

Relating to the latter point, nobody is saying this is a life or death situation, you can complain about something even if it's not the worst.

Associate
I contacted DPD myself and they confirmed that they are delivering to Ireland right now and that I would have to pay both VAT and Customs duty before delivery regardless of when the order was placed. Still no word from OCUK about when my order will be taken off on-hold status though.

I would imagine they are still trying to make sure the VAT is handled correctly, the one report we've had so far of a recent delivery (DHL) was not handled correctly.

If you are being asked to pay VAT locally then the goods should have been zero rated in the UK, if the goods have been subject to Irish VAT collected locally in the UK then you should not be asked to pay it again on delivery.

Very little is completely clear on the process though so even if DPD are delivering again it may take a little extra time to make sure you are not being double charged for the VAT...

Last edited:
Associate
I would imagine they are still trying to make sure the VAT is handled correctly, the one report we've had so far of a recent delivery was not handled correctly.

If you are being asked to pay VAT locally then the goods should have been zero rated in the UK, if the goods have been subject to Irish VAT collected locally in the UK then you should not be asked to pay it again on delivery.

Very little is completely clear on the process though so even if DPD are delivering again it may take a little extra time to make sure you are not being double charged for the VAT...
Am I right in saying we should be paying the VAT either in the UK or in Ireland but not both?

Can OCUK refund the UK VAT and we pay the Irish VAT upon import?

If anyone knows about how things are supposed to work post Brexit please let me know, I would like to avoid the extra charge like we saw someone charged earlier this week.

Associate
Am I right in saying we should be paying the VAT either in the UK or in Ireland but not both?

If anyone knows about how things are supposed to work post Brexit please let me know, I would like to avoid the extra charge like we saw someone charged earlier this week.

It does sound very much like figuring all of that out is why the orders are still on hold. So I'm not angry at OCUK if that's what the hold up is. I'm still annoyed about the whole Brexit situation though, how could any serious country allow this mess to happen to their ability to trade internationally? Mind you, how could any serious GPU manufacturer allow this sort of mess to happen with the release of their flagship GPU? So I guess, there's a fair bit of this sort of nonsense going around at the moment.

Permabanned

When you ordered your card you payed the Irish VAT as OCUK lets us, but we shouldnt be paying VAT again when it comes in, only import fees at this stage.

Associate
I just wanted to jump on here and state that I have been running an inno3d ichill x4 3070 (bought from here) and it works amazingly (looks great too). temps never go above 75, and in 99% of games are around 66 to 70C (full load in demanding games). The clocks during games stay at around 1970 to 2010mhz (not overclocked), with the mode of 1990mhz. I have a 'feeling' that this particular GPU might be in stock as my order was processed very quickly, so perhaps some of you with 3070 orders can ask for theirs to be swapped? That is what I did initially as I did not want to wait a million years for KFA2 SG delivery (my initially ordered GPU). This was over a month ago so the situation right now could be different but for those still waiting this could be something to try. To top it up, my experience with overclockers was very positive. I am glad I got my card here.
Also, for those playing Tarkov....the game is still garbage when it comes to optimisation, even on 3070 and 3080 (friend of mine has a 3080).

Associate
I contacted DPD myself and they confirmed that they are delivering to Ireland right now and that I would have to pay both VAT and Customs duty before delivery regardless of when the order was placed. Still no word from OCUK about when my order will be taken off on-hold status though.

Last time a UK retailer gets a penny from me tbh, makes them look like a bunch of ****** clowns allowing this shambles to go ahead. It's not a strong look for their country.

If Nvidia had done their job properly and made a stockpile of GPU's prior to release this would not be an issue and everyone would have had their cards months ago. Blame Ireland for the import tax that is down to them.

Associate
Good luck trying to claim back the UK Vat back but you can ask OC as there now shipping outside of the UK to Vat it zero percent

For the Irish orders, it isn't UK VAT, OCUK were VAT registered in Éire so they collected VAT at the Éire rate and remitted that to Éire.

There should be no double charging of VAT but the old and new systems appear to be causing confusion for all concerned.

Associate
For the Irish orders, it isn't UK VAT, OCUK were VAT registered in Eire so they collected VAT at the Eire rate and remitted that to Eire.

There should be no double charging of VAT but the old and new systems appear to be causing confusion for all concerned.
Thanks for the info, I hope it gets sorted for everyone soon, although it will be months before my delivery I'm sure

Associate
Why didn't you buy from an Irish company then? Oh wait, they're even worse!

I really didn't expect, when I ordered in September, that I would still be waiting in mid-January, and I've ordered from OCUK before and had a good experience. The situation re:Brexit and a severe delay on the availability of this particular GPU is more or less unprecedented. I will be using EU based retailers in the future most likely though. I can order stuff from Germany and not have to worry about any of this VAT/Customs debacle. It's a shame because my dealings with UK based companies thus far have all been pretty good experiences, looks like those days are over.

Associate
Yeah like, its most likely gonna be a scalped launched once again so you're looking at another few month wait, what's the point if you have one on preorder at this point?

Personally, I would rather not have a 6-8 month old card when it arrives. I like to get in early and get the most value for my money. I know the stock situation for the 3080ti will likely be just as bad but maybe Nvidia has learned a lesson and stockpiled or maybe not as many people will be going for one as they have only had a 3080 for a few months prior.

When only 15 units of the card you have ordered have arrived in 4 months, you would be looking at other options too as there is no mention of an upgrade for Inno3d X4 customers. As is the same with many others, I'm sitting here with a brand new x570, 5950x based system and having to use a 1080, it's a real kick in the arse.

Back
Top Bottom