Blown PSU

Caporegime
Turned the PSU switch on to get her booted, made some crackles, wouldn't fire up, did the cardinal sin, unplug, replug, try again, eventually came on, rig booted, popped downstairs for a bit, by the time i came back up, rig had gone off, PSU was deed.:p

Good job i had my old rig with a Corsair AX860w in it, so i just swapped it over, and to my surprise, it booted up fine, no messages about wasn't shutdown properly, nowt, just booted straight to my desktop, like nothing had happened, phew! :D

The PSU was a TT Toughpower, RGB 850w Grand Sync, which id only had for 15 months, so luckily still under guarantee, but i'll be steering clear from em, and sticking to me Corsair for now.

Remember all, if your PSU goes dodgy, just get it swapped for another straight away, or you might not be as lucky as i was, with everything else still working after a swap :D

Soldato
Turned the PSU switch on to get her booted, made some crackles, wouldn't fire up, did the cardinal sin, unplug, replug, try again, eventually came on, rig booted, popped downstairs for a bit, by the time i came back up, rig had gone off, PSU was deed.:p

Good job i had my old rig with a Corsair AX860w in it, so i just swapped it over, and to my surprise, it booted up fine, no messages about wasn't shutdown properly, nowt, just booted straight to my desktop, like nothing had happened, phew! :D

The PSU was a TT Toughpower, RGB 850w Grand Sync, which id only had for 15 months, so luckily still under guarantee, but i'll be steering clear from em, and sticking to me Corsair for now.

Remember all, if your PSU goes dodgy, just get it swapped for another straight away, or you might not be as lucky as i was, with everything else still working after a swap :D

I think the lesson there is dont buy Thermaltat, they dont make anything good

Caporegime
OP
I think the lesson there is dont buy Thermaltat, they dont make anything good

Yeah first TT product ive had, won't be buying again thats for sure.

The 2 most important parts of a computer are it's PSU and case, as these constitute it's environment.

Yup, i still can't believe i kept trying to fire it up, when i know not to :p

Soldato
by all accounts the 850w grand rgb is well built. They arent the best out there but they arent crap either and they are modern and efficient. Honestly, i think it's just bad luck. The the fact that the PC booted straight back up with another PSU says the TT did it's job and died gracefully and it's not like it died 5 minutes after you installed it :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
by all accounts the 850w grand rgb is well built. They arent the best out there but they arent crap either and they are modern and efficient. Honestly, i think it's just bad luck. The the fact that the PC booted straight back up with another PSU says the TT did it's job and died gracefully and it's not like it died 5 minutes after you installed it :)

True :)

Permabanned
TT made some good cases in the past and one of the best Air Coolers at that time (The Big Typhoon), also their PSU's are rated well in reviews (or at least a few years ago).

Soldato
I started buying 'better' PSU's as far back as 2004. PSU purchases prior to that, were no name jobbies that made more noise than a jet aircraft. I started researching for quiet PSU's. Nexus was among those. I did buy a Thermaltake 430 watter around 2004 IIRC & it wasnt that bad. I think FSP was the OEM for it at the time. I bought my first Seasonic back in 2006 & a Corsair HX520 the year after & I was well on the road for buying 'better' PSU's. I've had a few bad apples along the way, but all of them have been replaced under RMA. On the whole I've had little trouble since 2004 & not really any hardware failures due to bad PSU's since then.

Soldato
I started buying 'better' PSU's as far back as 2004. PSU purchases prior to that, were no name jobbies that made more noise than a jet aircraft. I started researching for quiet PSU's. Nexus was among those. I did buy a Thermaltake 430 watter around 2004 IIRC & it wasnt that bad. I think FSP was the OEM for it at the time. I bought my first Seasonic back in 2006 & a Corsair HX520 the year after & I was well on the road for buying 'better' PSU's. I've had a few bad apples along the way, but all of them have been replaced under RMA. On the whole I've had little trouble since 2004 & not really any hardware failures due to bad PSU's since then.
same here, i used to buy some real cheapo stuff convinced 500W meant 500W, like this, er, 264W one.
Ul1HaSF.jpg

Soldato
TT made some good cases in the past and one of the best Air Coolers at that time (The Big Typhoon), also their PSU's are rated well in reviews (or at least a few years ago).
Thermaltake has never been any high quality brand.
They're "throw enough crap at things and something will stick" brand.

In cases they used outdated 15 years ago PSU on top layouts for long after that and had often very crappy stamped restrictions in front of fans.
And just kept making thermalcopies with changed plastic excrement overalls on same outdated frame.

Neither were coolers any special compared to big Scythes and Thermalrights.
https://silentpcreview.com/thermaltakes-big-contender-the-big-typhoon/
https://silentpcreview.com/thermaltake-bigtyp-14pro-a-bigger-typhoon/
https://silentpcreview.com/thermaltake-spinq-unique-blower-fan-heatsink/

And PSUs have been equally average with only minority of them good.
While having lots of "me too" mediocrities all the way to RGB overpriced models. (and even some scam level models in the past)

Back
Top Bottom