Cost for a reasonable kitchen?

Caporegime
Not looking for something really premium, but not cheap and nasty how much would I be expecting to pay?

Would probably have the laminate flooring changed at the same time.

Any kitchen places to completely avoid?

Tea Drinker
Don
if I rocked into one of our other forums with the following what would be the response?

Cost for reasonable PC

Not looking for something really premium, but not cheap and nasty how much would I be expecting to pay?

Would probably have the chair changed at the same time.

Any computer places to completely avoid?

Context please, size, appliances, budget, locational and what you want?

Otherwise you’ll get £3k £25k £12k and I did it all myself my £3.50

Caporegime
OP
I suppose you have a point.

Its a terrible layout and non movable things restrict the ability to add a lot more units, for example, 2 doors opposite each other and a horrible space under the stairs, radiators with no feasible place to relocate to.

Would pictures or a sketch help? I wish I could use sketchup so I could play around with it.

Shall I get pictures tomorrow?

Permabanned
Kitchens can ( if you do it properly ) cost a fair bit of time ( or manpower ) to strip and make good before you put anything new in there. That can be costly but usually depends on the age of the house and how much the last fitting took care to do things well. You often find horrors in kitchens when they are stripped which add to the cost. From there it depends on the cost of the materials and units you choose and the size of the room. It also greatly depends on whether you are a DIY'er and can deal with say the stripping part. That can save a lot of money. The make good part is also a good idea if you know your stuff. Kitchens are not difficult to do but they are time consuming for a DIY'er and it rather depends how long you want to be without a kitchen.

Soldato
I don't have an answer to your main question - but something which might be helpful regarding your issue with not being able to adjust the layout:

Look at plinth heaters. They're a replacement for a radiator which go beneath units so take up no space at all, and might allow you a bit of flexibility. They run via the central heating just like a radiator, and have a fan which circulates the hot air they generate.
We had one in our old house because there was no room for a rad, and was very impressed. The fan would kick in and start pushing warm air into the room within 2 minutes of the central heating turning on.

Soldato
No such thing as not movable. You can always open up walls, fill in doors etc. At our last house, we had the wall taken out and the original door filled in to make the space into a kitchen diner.

Nowadays, it seems popular to do that, and take out the exterior wall, add a few meters to add more space and create an island style kitchen with a skylight above.

Soldato
As with all things it depends what sort of kitchen shape you want and the space you have.

I worked as a kitchen designer at ikea for about 5 years so I have a bit of knowledge on kitchens but this was almost 10 years ago now. Back then if someone was trying to do an average sized family kitchen and they wanted integrated Fridge/Freezer (50/50 or 70/30), dishwasher, washing machine, oven, gas hob and extractor it would usually be around £3000 not installed and that would be including wooden worktops, not laminate.

I know we were substantially cheaper than most at the time but offered 25 year guarantee on some parts so the quality was there

Soldato
I priced up a DIY kitchens last week. U shaped kitchen. £3000 inc VAT and delivery for all units, solid oak worktops, ceramic sink and tap. That doesn't include appliances.

You'd probably need to add £2k for appliances, 1k labour? plus tiles and tiling.

I'm hoping to get everything done for £7k

Soldato
I'd go with DIY kitchens if you're willing to do the "design" element/check sizes. They are likely to be fhe highest quality for the price unless you know a tradesmen with a good howdens discount.

Tea Drinker
Don
What was the cost difference between them?

My guesstimated costs of kitchens is clearly way off. I thought your average family kitchen would be easily 10k so I'm pleasantly surprised.

You can go as nuts as you want with kitchens, our worktops and splashbacks were the price of a budget new car, I could have spent a tenth really. The question is so vague and wide. Appliances you can spend £1,200 for all or just spend £1,200 on a microwave.

Howdens units, upgrade the handles, nice tops and splashback, good brand exposed appliances, cheaper built in appliances and a good sink and tap.

Soldato
Don't forget to factor in the cost of trades if you want changes to the electrics, plumbing or gas. If your electrical installation is old elements of it may need upgrading as part of the works.

Be wary of kitchen fitters or builders who also do electronics. Some are completely unqualified. If they're running new circuits or changing the consumer unit then they need to be registered with a competent persons scheme or get building control in.

Soldato

My guesstimated costs of kitchens is clearly way off. I thought your average family kitchen would be easily 10k so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Think it was around £1k but i know Howdens would price match. I've still not done anything with the purchase yet.

Soldato

I'd try and go for a granite or quartz if you can afford it, I used a local company but DIY kitchens also do it. Wood is nice but dents too easily and isnt great around sinks.

Soldato
Having seen a pro fit a kitchen, I would totally be willing to try DIY myself if I ever do a new kitchen in the future. I had in my head that it was mega involved but it's really not imo.

Caporegime
OP
Kitchen pics

One door leads into garage, the other into the entrance way, the kitchen is the only downstairs room, it measures 297x510cm, walls are all external.

Would want new gas hob, oven and dishwasher at the very least.

Soldato
Rough estimate based on doing a similar sized kitchen about 2-3 years ago:

Units - £1.5k
Worktop - £300 for laminate, up to £2k for proper stone
Plaster 2 walls and ceiling if it's needed - £300
Removal and Fitting - £2k-£3k
Appliances - £whatever you want to spend, £500 up to £2k
Floor - say £1k for nice tiles inc labour
Misc / random bits like splashback, paint, tiles - £1k

Think ours came in at about £7k in total for about the same size.

Back
Top Bottom