DAC/amp to improve a pair of 599s

Associate
Not sure if this has been recommended already but I swear by the JDS Atom stack (some people dislike the atom dac for the lack of input variety but if you're just gonna use it with USB then it's nothing to worry about).

Soldato
The biggest reason why the HD599s can sound crap on onboard gear is because of impedance mismatch - Sennheiser drivers can be particularly sensitive to it, causing a several dB rise in bass which can make them sound boomy.

You need not go insane with a DAC/AMP combo. Get one with an output impedance of <2 and you are sorted.

Soldato
The biggest reason why the HD599s can sound crap on onboard gear is because of impedance mismatch - Sennheiser drivers can be particularly sensitive to it, causing a several dB rise in bass which can make them sound boomy.
Likely all HD500-serie models have impedance jumping up to 200-250 ohms at driver's resonant frequency around ~100Hz.

Also while bass initially bloats with increase of output impedance at some point whole sound turns muddy mess without details or even that bass.
Would probably sound quite crappy connected to AVR amps with headphone output taken from speaker amplifier through high impedance resistors.

Caporegime
OP
Not sure if this has been recommended already but I swear by the JDS Atom stack (some people dislike the atom dac for the lack of input variety but if you're just gonna use it with USB then it's nothing to worry about).
I've been trying to get my hands on an Atom Amp for ages.

JDS say they are only available in the UK at hifiheadphones.co.uk. They are *always* "Sold Out" there. Mostly because they are not selling them through their site, preferring instead to sell via eBay for 50% more.

Everybody is taking the **** during this pandemic.

The website price is £95-£115, they're instead listing them on eBay for £140-£150.

It's a **** 99$ amp.

I hate how everybody is trying to scalp everybody right now. It sucks. I refuse to be any part of it.

JDS won't sell direct to the UK after Brexit. So I guess I'm taking the Atom off my list. Scalpers can blow me.

Soldato
I've been trying to get my hands on an Atom Amp for ages.

JDS say they are only available in the UK at hifiheadphones.co.uk. They are *always* "Sold Out" there. Mostly because they are not selling them through their site, preferring instead to sell via eBay for 50% more.

Everybody is taking the **** during this pandemic.

The website price is £95-£115, they're instead listing them on eBay for £140-£150.

It's a **** 99$ amp.

I hate how everybody is trying to scalp everybody right now. It sucks. I refuse to be any part of it.

JDS won't sell direct to the UK after Brexit. So I guess I'm taking the Atom off my list. Scalpers can blow me.

What has Brexit got to do with anything being shipped from the US? How strange.

Caporegime
OP
Sitting here with a D10s and Atom Amp.

It's sounding really beautiful, but there's a twist...

I'm not listening to my HD 599s, I'm using my Koss KSC 75s :p

That's right, I'm pairing a £12 set of headphones with a ~£200 DAC/amp. And it sounds lovely.

I've always loved the Koss but this setup sounds even better than before. I'll still use the 599s I'm sure, but the amazing all-day comfort of the Koss can't be beat for a glasses wearer, and the sound is even better than it was before.

Associate
Loxjie D30 is also worth a look, if you're comfortable buying chi-fi.

For the money, it's really hard to beat for features and sound quality. Surprisingly big upgrade vs the Topping DX3 Pro for speakers and headphones (instrument separation and sound stage is definitely improved on speakers and headphones). Different league to the Chord Mojo and G6 (OK unfair comparison).

Back
Top Bottom