What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Long time since posting on here. Replaced my gearbox for a cryo treated one after completely stripping 3rd gear at Donington back in November, Toyota C56 gearbox. Probably still wont hold up but will have to see, only other option is a Quaife gearset which is £6K+ which is not an option.

Nearly got hypothermia over the weekend fitting it in. It was that bloody cold!

pXdkkzBl.jpeg
O7zShy1l.jpeg

Man of Honour
My Corrado has been SORN for a year. So I charged the battery, reconnected it and it fired up first time. I think I will get it MOT'd, serviced and back on the road for spring.

Soldato
After last week's fiasco of replacing the hard drive in my wife's car's BMW NBT head unit, I decided to do the same to my car today. Only difference being that the drive in my head unit was still working fine but it was from mid-2014, so while the entire process was still fresh in my mind I thought I'd replace it with a brand new drive. Only took about an hour and a half this time round so at least I now have peace of mind with a fresh drive, a backup copy of the data from all the partitions and the old drive on hand too.

Now I can hopefully forget about ever doing that nightmare process again :D

Soldato
It's throwing it down with rain here so went out and washed the car then let rain rinse it off - will go out later and put it by garage door and blade it off then put it away.

Man of Honour
Only difference being that the drive in my head unit was still working fine but it was from mid-2014, so while the entire process was still fresh in my mind I thought I'd replace it with a brand new drive. Only took about an hour and a half this time round so at least I now have peace of mind with a fresh drive, a backup copy of the data from all the partitions and the old drive on hand too.

Now I can hopefully forget about ever doing that nightmare process again

Why did you replace it?

Soldato
Mainly so I had a backup of the contents on the original drive while it was still operational. Since NBT units are all getting on a bit now it's only a matter of time before it gives up.

My wife's NBT drive was dead so it made things a bit more difficult but mine was still working so I thought I'd take a backup while I had the opportunity. I also had a spare brand new drive so thought I might as well put the new one in so I could retain the other one as another backup.

Though to be fair, chances are I'll have changed car before it's a problem anyway. But it cost me nothing but a bit of time.

Man of Honour
I'm surprised you even use the drive for anything. I've never saved anything on mine, pointless really when you have USB storage or streaming.

Soldato
I don't put music on it because I just play from USB stick, but the satnav maps and the manual are of course loaded from it. Maps are obviously easy enough to reinstall but the missing manuals could be an issue if I sold the car on.

Annoyingly, Evo units can have the HD replaced with an SSD but I'm not about to drop that kind of money for a retrofit on this car.

Soldato
If my wife's X3's NBT unit hadn't started playing up I would never have bothered with it, but on hers the navigation wouldn't load and the entire head unit kept rebooting. Usually every 2-5 minutes or so and when it rebooted it was reverting to the same radio station and loud volume it was set to previously so understandably she got annoyed with it doing that and I thought I'd sort it with as little cost as possible :D I just figured that while I was still able to remember the process, I'd make sure that if mine ever died I could easily sort it out without much messing around. I don't even want to think what price BMW would charge as I'm sure they'd replace the entire head unit as well as diagnostics, installing and recoding so it was just for peace of mind for me as there's no benefit other than (hopefully) reliability.

Back
Top Bottom