*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
The soundcore ones are fairly decent, to be honest, when you're out running and have all the background noise you don't really notice any nuances in the music anyway, it's more just there as background music.

A chest strap would be more accurate than a watch, however this is generally for interval based workouts. A watch can have delays in readings so i'll find i can finish a sprint and it's around 30 seconds later that it shows the increased HR, a chest strap will be more accurate and responsive, but for a base reading a watch is fine and as you say has all the extra benefits that come with a watch.

I have a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, but obviously there's no need to spend that much! I'm not sure about an Apple Watch being most accurate, i had one prior to this, and would often get different distance readings on the same route, something which doesn't happen with Garmin.
Depending on budget, something like the Garmin Forerunner 245 would be a good option. You can also get a music version so no need to carry a phone at all.

Soldato
OP
but that belt doesn't have any zip so does it feel like the phone or keys could jump out while running?

No chance. As I say, it can be hard getting in sometimes to get the things out, let alone them coming out when you don't expect it! :)

head. Popped. WHAAAT?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, as I feel like it's fairly well know, hence the smiley. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, just thought I would check :)

I believe apple have the most accurate but since I use an android phone I don't suppose it's compatible. Fitbit?

As @Martynt74 says above, Garmin are considered a safe go to for a running watch. I have the 735XT and it cost me less than £200 if that's any good?

Soldato
OP
If anything, you'll make your waist bigger as the muscles will get bigger :) Look up 'spot reduction', it's generally believed to be a myth. Your waist is determined more by calories in versus calories out. Eat slightly less and go out for a run :)

Of course, situps will burn calories, but you might as well do push ups or chin ups. They will have as much effect on your waist size. Do you do enough situps to the point you're sweating? Do you keep your heart rate up over 130 or so, for 10 to 15 minutes(at least)? That's the kind of thing that will burn the fat off your tum tum.

Soldato
The soundcore ones are fairly decent, to be honest, when you're out running and have all the background noise you don't really notice any nuances in the music anyway, it's more just there as background music.

A chest strap would be more accurate than a watch, however this is generally for interval based workouts. A watch can have delays in readings so i'll find i can finish a sprint and it's around 30 seconds later that it shows the increased HR, a chest strap will be more accurate and responsive, but for a base reading a watch is fine and as you say has all the extra benefits that come with a watch.

I have a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, but obviously there's no need to spend that much! I'm not sure about an Apple Watch being most accurate, i had one prior to this, and would often get different distance readings on the same route, something which doesn't happen with Garmin.
Depending on budget, something like the Garmin Forerunner 245 would be a good option. You can also get a music version so no need to carry a phone at all.

No chance. As I say, it can be hard getting in sometimes to get the things out, let alone them coming out when you don't expect it!
As Martynt74 says above, Garmin are considered a safe go to for a running watch. I have the 735XT and it cost me less than £200 if that's any good?

Thanks Martyn and Andy. :) Andy, I need a watch that can display the four listed things below all at once if possible. Can the 735XT display these without needing to scroll through screens?

Distance walked/jogged
My speed
Heart rate
Calories burnt

Soldato
From what I can see. Both the 735 and 245 can only display 3 data fields per screen so you’d have to scroll.

I think to get 4 data fields you’d need the 645.

Although someone else may know better.

Thanks, yeah, that's what I'd seen on photos of fitness watches, just 3 data fields. I'll have a look at the 645 but no doubt it'll be way too pricey.

Soldato
You could possibly look for a refurbished Fenix 5.

What’s your budget and I’ll have a look around.

Oh, the Fenix 5 does 4 data lines? But my max budge is about £150 so I'm sure it'll be a no go.
Thinking more about it though, I guess I'd be happy enough displaying calories, bpm, and either pace or distance. The bpm and calories data would be the most valuable to me.

I'm currently watching videos on the Garmin Vivoactive 3. It's touch screen, that would make it easy to scroll through while jogging. It looks like it holds 4 data fields at once. I think it can also receive heart rate data from a chest band which I were to wear one which would be handy if the built in watch monitor isn't as accurate. I'm seeing it at £139.95 on Amazon which is within my budget. Maybe the Fenix and 735XT do the same so I'll youtube those too.

Last edited:
Soldato
today has not gone well. I found a bag of mini toblerones and have been rather grumpy. The combo means tomorrow and Saturday's weigh-ins will not be pretty.

Caporegime
today has not gone well. I found a bag of mini toblerones and have been rather grumpy. The combo means tomorrow and Saturday's weigh-ins will not be pretty.

That’s partly why I switched to a weekly weigh in. On that day, I’m going to have something I know would wreck my progress. But then I have six days to undo it again before the next one. I suppose it’s down to being in the lucky position that I’m almost at my goal so can ease off a bit. Trying to work out strategies for maintaining rather than losing or gaining. Monday is weigh day so it’s pizza and ice cream this week. It’s no good trying to cure myself of a sweet tooth. I’d rather be dead.

Soldato
I concluded my first week's diet last night. \○/ Target set for me by MyFitnessPal was 1,580 calories per day which is 11,060 per week.
I've gone under that and eaten 10, 767 calories in 7 days so I'm pleased with that. Each day I've eaten very nutritiously with lots of steamed veg, high protein foods, fruit, and low carbs. I've treated myself each day to a small chocolate bar and a couple of biscuits and the occasional muller yoghurt. Since I was well within my calorie allowance, does it matter that I ate those refined sugary things?

Caporegime
I concluded my first week's diet last night. \○/ Target set for me by MyFitnessPal was 1,580 calories per day which is 11,060 per week.
I've gone under that and eaten 10, 767 calories in 7 days so I'm pleased with that. Each day I've eaten very nutritiously with lots of steamed veg, high protein foods, fruit, and low carbs. I've treated myself each day to a small chocolate bar and a couple of biscuits and the occasional muller yoghurt. Since I was well within my calorie allowance, does it matter that I ate those refined sugary things?

When are you getting on the scales to see if it worked? I think you showed good discipline. I tend to go mad if I have a chocolate bar and want three or four more. Same with biscuits. On Tuesday I had three biscuits with a cup of coffee but then carried on and had fifteen more! Hence trying to just have one day a week for refined sugar.

Soldato
Sweet tooth has been the biggest problem with weight loss so I'm going a little extreme next month and doing no refined sugar way. Figured February is best month for that, being the shortest and all :D

Back
Top Bottom