• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why have even older cards disappeared?

Associate
man i have regrets. should have got a 1060 6gb when they were retailing for 135 :(
I could have bought one 2 weeks ago, second hand for £120 but I was silly enough to try to negotiate with the seller and while I was hoping to find something cheaper ( silly head I am ). Now I will have to stick around my GTX 650 Ti for a while because my RX470 just decided to stop working :/

Soldato
Just noticed those RX 580s going for £300 on this site. For a card that released at $229 in 2017 that's... ouch. Suppose that's one way to keep some 'in stock' symbols in the graphics card section.

Associate
[Narrator] and that was the last we heard from Mr Carrot [/Narrator]

Given what's happening to all the PE desks in HK atm I wouldn't put it past them to suicide me.

There was a shortage of outboard engines in the UK about 10 years ago that was caused by a misinterpreted issuance in international purchasing. What we have to understand is that the Chinese have vast stocks of FX and can deploy it on anything they want at no real cost to their domestic economy. So whilst it might sound stupid that they've given 50£m to Chinese students to go pick shelves of any and all GPUs and ship them back to China or just to deny supply to UK crypto miners it's exactly something that is likely to have taken place.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yup unfortunately there are people who need to upgrade, people who need to replace dead cards and people building PC's, and none of them can get a darn thing so even the second hand market has blown up now. This is just not a good time to buy a GPU.

Currently NVIDIA is saying that the shortage will last until April at least. And of course the longer it lasts the longer the backlog of needy buyers will be. Honestly I would just forget it for six months. I have put off buying one now until June.

Associate
Yup unfortunately there are people who need to upgrade, people who need to replace dead cards and people building PC's, and none of them can get a darn thing so even the second hand market has blown up now. This is just not a good time to buy a GPU.

Yup unfortunately this is the exact situation I find myself in.

My ancient HD 4850 (yep seriously) has finally given up, to be fair it was the oldest component still in my machine.

I've tried and failed to get anything half acceptable to replace it from new. My expectations are not particularly high, I'm looking for something performance-wise above say a GTX 1060 / 690 ish, 6GB+, and sub-£300. I ummed and erred a few seconds too long and missed out on a RX 580 for £240 from a competitor, but I'd really prefer nvidia anyway as I seem to regret it every time I get a radeon.

Case in point, I was desperate and ending up paying £160 for a used R9 390X from fleabay, arrived yesterday and I reckon I've had more blue screens in the last 24 hours than in the previous 30 years combined.

What are people in this position doing?

Soldato
i stopped getting ati cards once i left uni and cash wasnt so tight. in uni you got plenty of free time to diagnose ati driver issues etc but these days with kids etc nvidia all the way since it just works and no headaches.
dunno what you can do about the 390x ebay will easily side with the buyer so you can get your monies back but you need to make sure its not a psu issue or something else causing the bsods.

Soldato
Yup unfortunately this is the exact situation I find myself in.

My ancient HD 4850 (yep seriously) has finally given up, to be fair it was the oldest component still in my machine.

I've tried and failed to get anything half acceptable to replace it from new. My expectations are not particularly high, I'm looking for something performance-wise above say a GTX 1060 / 690 ish, 6GB+, and sub-£300. I ummed and erred a few seconds too long and missed out on a RX 580 for £240 from a competitor, but I'd really prefer nvidia anyway as I seem to regret it every time I get a radeon.

Case in point, I was desperate and ending up paying £160 for a used R9 390X from fleabay, arrived yesterday and I reckon I've had more blue screens in the last 24 hours than in the previous 30 years combined.

What are people in this position doing?

I was in a similar situation myself.

Up until November I was running a Red Dragon 5600XT but since purchase in March I had been having no end of crashing issues and no amount of driver updates or Windows installs would fix it. I requested an RMA from the competitor I bought it from and it 'got lost' on the way back to them.

I was offered a replacement card or refund and due to the issues I had I didn't want a replacement card due to the aforementioned issues returning so I opted for a refund, in hindsight it was a big mistake. :(.

I was forced to go back to using my old ATi 5870 1GB card but it has been overheating ridiculously, even with a heatsink remount so in the end I bit the bullet and bought an 8GB RX580 2nd hand for just over £200. I was hoping to get a decent card off the Member's Market here but I only started looking in January so the majority of cards that were listed in December had been sold and I was too slow to pick up any new listings :(.

I've resigned myself to using the RX 580 for the next 12-18 months and will then look again at cards in 2022, such is the crazy nature of hardware purchasing at the moment.

Permabanned
Old cards have been bought up because new cards cant be purchased so if you want a GPU you buy the old stuff thus stocks are depleted as old cards not being made anymore.
It doesnt take a slide rule to work it out its pretty simple. :)

It's stupid, isn't it? Who in their right mind except a masochist would buy these rubbish old graphics cards when he knows (or maybe?) that the supply issues will not last forever. While he is being rabbed.

Back
Top Bottom