PS4 Pro SSD upgrade - worth it?

Associate
I put a 1TB SSD in my PS4 Pro, one less thing in there producing noise and heat. I didn't get a massive speed increase like I did when I went from HDD to SSD on PC because the PS4 isn't designed to take advantage of it, but I did use to get into Warzone (And die) before my friend using a HDD :D

Digital Foundry did a video showing that texture load-in and pop-in was better when running on a SSD. I've now repurposed the SSD from my PS4 Pro as external storage for my Series X, so it's been put to good use.

Associate
OP
I put a 500GB one in my mine. Everything loads a lot quicker and is snappier, even the dashboard. If you have one knocking about i'd recommend it.
I don't have one spare, and this is the dilemma, and the dilemma online people are having, is it justified spending £40-60 on one - sure if you have one then you'd be mad not to, but I'd be buying one for this purpose. Just wondered if boot speeds and gameplay were faster/better.

Soldato
If you can get a cheap second hand one, why not? If you spend a fair bit of time on the PS4 then it'll be worth getting in my opinion. If you get rid of the PS4 you could always use it on another PC or console.

Soldato
I stuck a 2TB SSD in mine during the first lockdown and it made a massive difference in some games cutting loading times down by over half.

I was playing a lot of Division 2 and teleport to places was taking 30-40 seconds and by the time I loaded team members were already clearing stuff. So I thought why not and it took my load times down to like 13-14 seconds and I went from being one of the last to always load in to one of the first.

I put a 1TB SSD in my PS4 Slim 500GB when it kept running out of space and it certainly seems snappier (and obviously has more space). If you can go with a 2TB SSD it would probably make it more worthwhile, both cooler and faster though it may not make as much difference in the Pro, though having said that my PS4 Slim is now faster than my Xbox One X at loading so maybe?

Back
Top Bottom