Alien Isolation [Mother VR] is the best VR experience I've had and it's a free mod.

Soldato
Any way to get the G2 controllers working with this? I assume you don’t get motion control anyway though?

just played an hour or so and it’s pretty cool, haven’t seen an alien yet though so there haven’t been any pant wetting moments yet.

Soldato
Any way to get the G2 controllers working with this? I assume you don’t get motion control anyway though?

just played an hour or so and it’s pretty cool, haven’t seen an alien yet though so there haven’t been any pant wetting moments yet.

To be honest, it's best played with a gamepad, as the motion control support is really just gamepad emulation.

Soldato
You don't. You can play with motion controls, but it's like using them with vorpx, they act as a gamepad.

To see it done right look up the Outer Wilds VR mod, or the sadly now defunct GTFO mod. Both of those manipulate the steam input to give you full control of things like weapon holding and button press.

The reality is the Alien Iso mod is little more than a properly scaled vorpx experience. Props to the guy for doing it though, like all the sloggers that come good with VR mods. There's loads out there that i'm sure most people in this forum don't know about.

Soldato
Ah can’t complain, got the game for free and the mod is free!

Playing it with an Xbox controller works well enough anyway for me... gives a good excuse to sit down!

I see from the GitHub repository he’s currently working on a VR mod for The halo master chief collection... that will be interesting to try.

Edit - outer wilds mod looks interesting, cheers

Associate
I played this in VR - hands down the most terrifying VR experience I've event had!
I played this back on the day with my original Vive and Vorpx. Not so much a game, more of an ordeal! I once spent 30 minutes hiding in one of those lockers and I couldn't pluck up the balls to leave - this was in the Medical Centre bit.

I will give it a shot with this mod, now that I have a Quest 2.

Soldato
I played this back when I had a DK2.

The first time I was cowering in a locker, and the alien found me, ripped the door open and lunged at my face, I screamed like a girl and ripped the headset off, heart was racing, sweating.....

It was pretty cool....that lizard brain response it triggers is pretty wild...

Soldato
I played this back on the day with my original Vive and Vorpx. Not so much a game, more of an ordeal! I once spent 30 minutes hiding in one of those lockers and I couldn't pluck up the balls to leave - this was in the Medical Centre bit.

I will give it a shot with this mod, now that I have a Quest 2.

The first time I was cowering in a locker, and the alien found me, ripped the door open and lunged at my face, I screamed like a girl and ripped the headset off, heart was racing, sweating.....

haha guys!! Chickens!! :p

I can't really talk though, I quit before I ever got as far as the Alien!! :D

Soldato
haha guys!! Chickens!! :p

I can't really talk though, I quit before I ever got as far as the Alien!! :D

I just saw a brief glimpse of the alien as I was getting in a transit system, haven’t played more yet as I’ve been busy testing my new racing pedals I’ve built.... not because I’m scared. Not at all... no sir. Best get back to those pedals.

Soldato
I completed AI in pancake mode when it first came out. Even then I had to have frequent breaks because it was so intense. In VR it's on a whole different level. Sometimes when I've spotted the alien I've gone 'nope' and taken the headset off! The thing I really hate are the working Joes androids. Creepy, and a real pain in the backside to deal with.

I would say though that the game is too long. It could have done with being about a third shorter.

Soldato
I completed AI in pancake mode when it first came out. Even then I had to have frequent breaks because it was so intense. In VR it's on a whole different level. Sometimes when I've spotted the alien I've gone 'nope' and taken the headset off! The thing I really hate are the working Joes androids. Creepy, and a real pain in the backside to deal with.

I would say though that the game is too long. It could have done with being about a third shorter.

I know what you mean but I have completed the game twice and love it, so for me it isn't however I have heard others saying the same about being too long.

Soldato
You don't. You can play with motion controls, but it's like using them with vorpx, they act as a gamepad.

To see it done right look up the Outer Wilds VR mod, or the sadly now defunct GTFO mod. Both of those manipulate the steam input to give you full control of things like weapon holding and button press.

The reality is the Alien Iso mod is little more than a properly scaled vorpx experience. Props to the guy for doing it though, like all the sloggers that come good with VR mods. There's loads out there that i'm sure most people in this forum don't know about.

I'm not in any doubt the amount of work done in this - I have heard a number of times that VR was already in the code ,or at least the roots of it because the developers had planned to have that so that's why it works so well(the mods obviously still did well too ,they brought it out) but didn't have the money /time to implement it.

Soldato
Yes the VR code was in the game, but it was in a bad state - it used deprecated oculus libraries for instance.
The mod's creator, Nibre, has gone into the binaries, without the source code, and made it work with modern hardware, and fixed up a lot of the issues, like monitors being too close to read comfortably, and even added partial motion controller support. It's an incredible achievement.

Soldato
I just saw a brief glimpse of the alien as I was getting in a transit system, haven’t played more yet as I’ve been busy testing my new racing pedals I’ve built.... not because I’m scared. Not at all... no sir. Best get back to those pedals.

In VR it's on a whole different level. Sometimes when I've spotted the alien I've gone 'nope' and taken the headset off! .

:D:D

Associate
You guys have this working via Virtual Desktop? I get message saying no HMD detected. Wondered if there was a VR renderer option somewhere.
I’ve modded my free Epic version and works over USB to Quest 2 fine

Associate
OP

lizard brain best brain

Associate
OP
Yes the VR code was in the game, but it was in a bad state - it used deprecated oculus libraries for instance.
The mod's creator, Nibre, has gone into the binaries, without the source code, and made it work with modern hardware, and fixed up a lot of the issues, like monitors being too close to read comfortably, and even added partial motion controller support. It's an incredible achievement.

He might as well be described as a developer at this point. His work is incredibly impressive.

Back
Top Bottom