Attending a funeral 200 miles away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissario
It's not an essential trip. We're in the process of arranging my mums funeral and I think we're going to have about fifteen people there whereas if everyone who wanted to come was able to, I'd expect well over fifty.

It's harsh but the dead person won't care if you don't go.

Caporegime
We've been given the option of a live video stream for anyone who wants to 'attend' remotely.

My gran passed away last year and this was offered too. She was in Holland so we weren't able to attend but the church offered that facility if we wanted.

At 600 euros.

Plus 50 euros per person watching.

My mom recorded it on her phone and sent it to us. That sucked more than when my dad died tbh.

Caporegime
That's a disgrace, pure profiteering off the back of someone's loss.

Yep, blatant robbery. The 600 euros I could understand as they had an actual cameraman with proper kit and sound equipment and whatnot with proper infrastructure behind it to ensure 100% uptime but the 50 a head just killed it. That was taking the absolute michael.

Caporegime
Just to clarify, there is no such requirement in the legislation for a journey to be "essential", only that you have a reasonable excuse. Reasonable isn't a definitive term, as such a funeral is likely to be OK as a reason to be outside if your home. Distance is also not something that is mentioned in the legislation, any reference to a radius from home is conjecture and interpretation, not law.

That's not to say every long-distance journey is OK, if there's a more local alternative then you'll definitely be looked on badly with your "reasonable" excuse (like that bloke driving a 100-mile round trip for a McDonalds), but the funeral has a single destination, there is no "local" alternative.

Man of Honour
Personally I would be of the opinion that if it was a very close relative or friend then I would go to it. e.g. immediate family or a close friend you've known all your life. I don't know what the regulations say. But if not immediate family or very close lifelong friend then I would also someone to video it.

Caporegime
Just to clarify, there is no such requirement in the legislation for a journey to be "essential", only that you have a reasonable excuse. Reasonable isn't a definitive term, as such a funeral is likely to be OK as a reason to be outside if your home. Distance is also not something that is mentioned in the legislation, any reference to a radius from home is conjecture and interpretation, not law.

That's not to say every long-distance journey is OK, if there's a more local alternative then you'll definitely be looked on badly with your "reasonable" excuse (like that bloke driving a 100-mile round trip for a McDonalds), but the funeral has a single destination, there is no "local" alternative.

Reasonable excuse is a definitive term, it's defined in the legislation and includes:

(g)to attend a funeral of—

(i)a member of the person’s household,

(ii)a close family member, or

(iii)if no-one within sub-paragraphs (i) or (ii) are attending, a friend;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom