When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Tell the LL to screw themselves if they can't see what is the future, stupid imbecilic people.
Well, it's their house and despite being an EV owner the poster is still looking to rent the place without fitting one so they can't really be called an imbecile.

Is type 2 guaranteed to be the standard for home charging for good now? If not then I'd say they were probably quite sensible in their decision at this stage.

Soldato
Well, it's their house and despite being an EV owner the poster is still looking to rent the place without fitting one so they can't really be called an imbecile.

Is type 2 guaranteed to be the standard for home charging for good now? If not then I'd say they were probably quite sensible in their decision at this stage.

Already covered my stance in a previous post, the English LL rules are backwards. Not wanting them to add an item to the property that can be easily removed, and actually would add value not take it away. Just fancy in 3-5 years time asking if you aren't allowed to have a charge point fitted, you'd just walk away if they said no. Reminds me of one of the utter failure landlords I had to deal with almost 20 years ago when I wanted DSL fitted to a property and they said no, as it would cause damage to the property and offer nothing of value when I left, what an utter plonker he would look now with the same attitude.

As for Type 2, that is here to stay for a long time yet unless we move away from AC supply in homes. I'd imagine once they sort out V2H/V2G that will determine what the standard will be for an even longer time, but it looks to be still Type 2, as CHAdeMO hasn't really taken a hold in western parts of the world.

Soldato
So by 2024 to 2026 your statement might be valid. As it stands it isn't even a deal breaker for one of the tiny minority of people who actually own an EV.

Well no, I suppose you are right it isn't, as they are going to move back to ICE (potentially) due to being unable to keep their vehicle if a they can't make an EVSE charger work for them. So in effect going backwards, changing something in their lifestyle to fit the whim of a landlord who isn't forward thinking.

And yes my point is still valid now, regardless of the minority of people who have an plug-in vehicle the landlord/tenant relationship is one that doesn't side with the person paying for the service but the one supplying it.

Soldato
So in effect going backwards, changing something in their lifestyle to fit the whim of a landlord who isn't forward thinking.
That's their choice. If it was a big deal they'd rent somewhere else. The house if obviously a good prospect otherwise that would have been a deal breaker.

So, it sounds like the landlord is quite wise not to make structural alterations to their property on the whim of a tenant who might have moved on again in 6 months time.

On your last point, they aren't paying for a service, they asked the question to the landlord of a potential house they might rent. If I was renting a house and I had two people who wanted to rent the place, one who is happy with it as is and one who would want to add an EV charge point why would I have the hassle of renting to the second person?

Your point probably will become valid but not until the landlord NEEDS to add an EV point to be able to attract tenants to rent the property

Soldato
That's their choice. If it was a big deal they'd rent somewhere else. The house if obviously a good prospect otherwise that would have been a deal breaker.

So, it sounds like the landlord is quite wise not to make structural alterations to their property on the whim of a tenant who might have moved on again in 6 months time.

On your last point, they aren't paying for a service, they asked the question to the landlord of a potential house they might rent. If I was renting a house and I had two people who wanted to rent the place, one who is happy with it as is and one who would want to add an EV charge point why would I have the hassle of renting to the second person?

Your point probably will become valid but not until the landlord NEEDS to add an EV point to be able to attract tenants to rent the property

I'll agree to disagree with you then, and leave it there.

Additional however structural electrical work is a push, and is very rarely needed, a hole in a wall is not considered structural. Also I guess you didn't read the part where the poster said they'd pay for it to be fitted installed etc. so they could be treated just like the first person in your example.

I feel like some people here are playing devils advocate, rather than actually thinking that what the poster wanted was unreasonable in the current changing market place for vehicles.

Soldato
The VW ID4 First Edition has appeared on our Salary Sacrifice scheme for £450pm for 10k miles per year.
This significantly under cuts the base Ford Mach-E and Tesla M3. VW are looking very strong with their early EV’s.

Soldato
Had charging point installed for the Mrs' CLA 250e

IMG-20210121-130550-01.jpg

IMG-20210121-130556-01.jpg

Soldato

As a landlord myself I'd welcome a tenant installing a charge point at an agreed location, tidily, and at their cost. Ongoing costs I would look at but assume it's minimal/nothing. A free upgrade to the house that is only going to appeal to more tenants in future and when they come to sell it a charge point will be appealing too I think.
Personally I'd rent to the person I think most suitable based on other factors, including how long might potentially want to live there.

Soldato
Assuming the house is really compatible to have a charger, with a non-public area to park the EV, then, similarly if you can convince the LL there is no maintenance, can't see the issue

... when they are installed presumably you get an electrical safety certificate of some kind, and a multi-year guarantee ?
if the charger can electronically switch the supply ? there must be power transistors of some kind or a solenoid relay (& they don't last forever)

Soldato
Assuming the house is really compatible to have a charger, with a non-public area to park the EV, then, similarly if you can convince the LL there is no maintenance, can't see the issue

... when they are installed presumably you get an electrical safety certificate of some kind, and a multi-year guarantee ?
if the charger can electronically switch the supply ? there must be power transistors of some kind or a solenoid relay (& they don't last forever)
Will get an Electrical installation certificate.

Soldato
As a landlord myself I'd welcome a tenant installing a charge point at an agreed location, tidily, and at their cost. Ongoing costs I would look at but assume it's minimal/nothing. A free upgrade to the house that is only going to appeal to more tenants in future and when they come to sell it a charge point will be appealing too I think.
Personally I'd rent to the person I think most suitable based on other factors, including how long might potentially want to live there.
An absolutely reasonable point of view. What isn't reasonable would be a landlord being told to "screw themselves" and being labelled as an imbecile because they tell a potential renter upfront that they wouldn't be happy with one being fitted.

Someone mentioned the difficulties with new housing estates and judging by the ones round here the 5 - 10 year old housing is going to seem very backwards looking from an EV charging point of view. Little to no off street parking and roads scattered with cars all ending up no where near their owners houses. Those older houses with big driveways and garages are going to be much more appealing when more people want to start home charging.

Soldato
A free upgrade to the house that is only going to appeal to more tenants in future and when they come to sell it a charge point will be appealing too I think.

It is nice to see gathered information and facts being used, rather that the other LL assumptions being used to make a decision.

^^ This.

Soldato
If Nissan are staying what's the oulook for the Ariya and future models with liquid battery cooling that will put them back in the market ?
seems ariya is now released late 2021 and no apparent saloon update(range/battery fix) to ensure continued line of the dynasty.
Presumably any grant, levelling up monies, govt has provided for giga-factory, has been scrutinized by the eu, even if De/Merkyl has subsidised theirs.

[tesla eu price drop https://insideevs.com/news/467455/europe-tesla-lowers-model-3-prices/, nothing for uk ?

It's not clear what was the main cause of the price reductions. We guess that it might be a result of several factors, including a necessity to stay competitive in a dynamically changing market, as well as exchange rates, as well as maybe some cost savings that allows for reductions.
We must remember that Tesla was not able to maintain the Model 3 sales level from 2019 (initial year) and probably would like to at least keep the current momentum, until the locally made Model Y comes out

• Standard Range Plus RWD: €3,000 (from €42,990 to €39,990; €33,990 after subsidy)
  • Long Range AWD: €2,500 (from €52,490 to €49,990; €43,990 after subsidy)
  • Long Range Performance AWD: €3,500 (from €58,490 to €54,990; €48,990 after subsidy

]

Associate
34000 euros makes the SR+ much closer to the ID3 pricing. Perhaps the ID3/4 is making Tesla nervous. The European market is very conservative and until thew Berlin factory opens many people will be going VW.

Soldato
34000 euros makes the SR+ much closer to the ID3 pricing. Perhaps the ID3/4 is making Tesla nervous. The European market is very conservative and until thew Berlin factory opens many people will be going VW.

I think its because the major manufacturers are pushing out quite a few options now and not just VW... Most of which have 200+ mile range.

We are hopefully signing up for a Mokka in the next day or so, I look forward to seeing the options available when that comes to an end in 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom