*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
This is a route I'm looking at expanding on again, I was originally getting the house cabled, but with COVID-19 that's delayed.

Any particular vendors / models to consider, I've used delvo in the past.

I'm currently meshing UI APs etc.

Mikrotik Powerline Plus. The fastest, and they pass 24V PoE for UAP-AC-Lites, UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-Mesh.

Soldato
We're tired of our existing setup, so we're going to start down the Ubiquiti road.

I'm going to order a Dream Machine and then I will most likely need an AP, we can't run cables though as we're renting, so I will need to use the AP in mesh mode as a repeater. Any suggestions on an AP for this purpose?

Soldato
Flex HD, place it where it is still in a very strong signal area. You don’t really want anything slower than a wave 2 4x4 for this.

power line adaptors may be more effective as a backhaul than WiFi. - worth considering and you may be able to then place the second AP further away.

Associate
Having random issues with a cheap TPLink RE360 I picked a few years ago. Just random drops, no internet, slow speeds now and again, it's one that plugs straight into a wall, (It's set to access point, ethernet into the bottom) so not sure if that's why it's freaking out, heat etc.

Was looking at replacing it with a newer model, then read horror stories about TP-Link and security!

Grabbing an AC-Lite to replace it. I don't need anything too fancy, it'll just be 5Ghz usage for upstairs really.

They seemed to be well reviewed, so seems daft to not go with it!?

Associate
Ubiquiti Account - Remote Access

What's the deal with the Remote access. I've noticed it's enabled by default. I toggled the Remote access to off under system settings - administration. I then also clicked disable and remove remote access.

I then couldn't get back into the Windows App. It just kept telling me incorrect username/password. I had to reset the unit and uninstall/reinstall the software in order to get everything up and running.

Ideally, I don't want remote access enabled, but, if it's going to cause issues with local logins then i guess I'll have to keep it enabled?

Last edited:
Soldato
That's strange, disabling remote access shouldn't have done that. Were you logging in with the username exactly as it's saved in Settings -> Admins? Or were you logging in using the email address?

I have remote access and login with UBNT account enabled. I never use the remote access as such, but as my UBNT account has 2FA enabled that means my UniFi controller login also has 2FA enabled as it's the same account.

Associate
That's strange, disabling remote access shouldn't have done that. Were you logging in with the username exactly as it's saved in Settings -> Admins? Or were you logging in using the email address?

I have remote access and login with UBNT account enabled. I never use the remote access as such, but as my UBNT account has 2FA enabled that means my UniFi controller login also has 2FA enabled as it's the same account.

I selected the toggle to off again. But this time I didn't click the text link next to the toggle. That seems to work now.

Logged out and logged back in fine.

Logging in to the 'Remote area - unifi.ui.com' just redirects me to my Ubiquiti profile rather than a list of devices etc, like it use to.

So I think it's sorted!

Ideally, I should have set up the device without and account in the first instance but it kinda wants to force you down the route of creating and logging in with an account!

Back
Top Bottom