Attending a funeral 200 miles away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Wife is in exact same situation as an Aunt has died yesterday on the other side of the country. Her attendance will be remote. 4 to 5 hour drive each way (Wirral --> March) isn't gonna be remotely doable under current guidelines. Even the local family are likely to do it remotely due to most of them being elderly and shielding. The last thing anyone wants is a family super spreader event !

Soldato
We went to my wife's granddad's funeral last Friday in Sutton Coldfield. We travelled around 100 miles from Manchester. I had no qualms about going.

We stayed in our own car, stayed socially distanced throughout and headed straight home afterwards. The Crematorium had security on the gate and only the 30 people attending were allowed in. It was very well managed.

I think the big potential problem is people's emotions overcoming them and then they go and hug / console someone not in their bubble. It was a strange atmosphere as people were all crying but everyone had to stay away from each other with a mask on. Very surreal but better than no service at all.

Soldato
We had my grandma's funeral back in October and it was a mistake in hindsight. I went with my OH and since my mum is on her own it was impossible not to console her. That I could deal with; she works alone and her wider circle is very small/distanced. But then all these estranged family members breaking distancing left right and centre. Even with the best intentions it's impossible to even get one word in before your great aunt that you haven't seen in 10 years has approached you from behind and wrapped an arm around you. And then in that situation, as they're crying because their sister has died, it's another thing entirely to forcibly remove them.

It was all outdoors at least but yeah, you can see why they limit the numbers etc.

Soldato
I had to watch my partners Grandads funeral on a live stream and I suppose whilst it was better than nothing, it was pretty heart breaking not being able to comfort her Nan. A few months later and barely anyone has seen her due to her being moved to a care home following a fall down the stairs. No-one can visit due to care home restrictions and she has now developed dementia and thinks her family has abandoned her. It's not hard to see why. She did so much for everyone and must feel so alone.

Crap times... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom