Mk3 mondeo issues

Soldato
With these old MK3 TDCi,s don't stick supermarket fuel in them, you don't have to go v-power or anything like that just standard 95 BP or Shell etc.

The injectors, EGR, Turbo etc will thank you for it.

Also, a £13 bluetooth code reader & a free copy of Forscan is the best tool you can own, it'll tell you things a £1k+ snap on tool can't.

Been running supermarket fuel in 2.2 mk3 for over 3 years/50k. Not a hint of an issue.

To the OP, get the fuel filter changed. Use either an oem or Bosch one.

If you change it yourself, make sure you fill the filter with fuel before connecting it all up else it'll airlock.

Soldato
Been running supermarket fuel in 2.2 mk3 for over 3 years/50k. Not a hint of an issue.

We've had about 5 that were taxi's & only managed 40-80k on a set of injectors on mainly Morrisons fuel. They were also having the EGR's gunk up and one was on it's 3rd turbo by 500k miles

My personal one did over 260k on the original injectors on purely Shell (as it's at the end of my street), in fact when I stripped the car for parts as the mileage made it worth far less than the value of the parts I sold the Injectors on Ebay & the buyer never reported any issues. I only cleaned the EGR when I sold it, again still the original & relatively gunk free.

Turbo, still original, sold without issue, didn't even clean it.

Soldato
OP

To the OP, get the fuel filter changed. Use either an oem or Bosch one.

If you change it yourself, make sure you fill the filter with fuel before connecting it all up else it'll airlock.

Gets done every year without fail or 12k whichever comes first. Its well looked after tbh

Soldato
OP
We've had about 5 that were taxi's & only managed 40-80k on a set of injectors on mainly Morrisons fuel. They were also having the EGR's gunk up and one was on it's 3rd turbo by 500k miles

My personal one did over 260k on the original injectors on purely Shell (as it's at the end of my street), in fact when I stripped the car for parts as the mileage made it worth far less than the value of the parts I sold the Injectors on Ebay & the buyer never reported any issues. I only cleaned the EGR when I sold it, again still the original & relatively gunk free.

Turbo, still original, sold without issue, didn't even clean it.

Yeah I mean I'm on 180k I never knew really what happened the first 100k of its life but it does have a very good history with it. 80k injectors replaced, timing chain tensioner was done too. but I only use premium diesel as the only time i tried morrisons diesel the car sounded like crap. Every summer I completely strip out the EGR and inlet manifold and decoke them of soot and grease including polishing up the inlet ports. It passed its MOT in November with a minor of slight play in front wheel bearing and nothing else. I'm hoping I can make it through the next couple of mots as I did put just over 1k into it in 2018 on new turbo,clutch and DMF

Fingers crossed this £20 cam sensor seems to have solved my issues.

Soldato
OP
Similar for me. My next service is due around June time and I'm gonna add gearbox oil (changed last at 104k) and brake fluid (will be just over 2 years)

This was a big issue on mine. Gears were feeling stiff and wouldn't engage very well. Went to a local indy to change the gearbox oil (at 160k) and he was like na mate dont need doing it won't fix it bla bla bla. Got him to change it anyway for £35 and its been spot on ever since. Not a job to do yourself mind as it needs to be pumped back in under pressure.

Seen one for sale recently with 465k on the clock with FSH so gives me hope it might last another year or two. Just a shame they seem to suffer electrical,injector and turbo problems long before anything ever happens with the engine. Also recently discovered it has footwell lights but the bulbs were missing :D

Soldato
This was a big issue on mine. Gears were feeling stiff and wouldn't engage very well. Went to a local indy to change the gearbox oil (at 160k) and he was like na mate dont need doing it won't fix it bla bla bla. Got him to change it anyway for £35 and its been spot on ever since. Not a job to do yourself mind as it needs to be pumped back in under pressure.

Seen one for sale recently with 465k on the clock with FSH so gives me hope it might last another year or two. Just a shame they seem to suffer electrical,injector and turbo problems long before anything ever happens with the engine. Also recently discovered it has footwell lights but the bulbs were missing :D

I have a very good mechanic when it comes to mk3s. He previously worked for Ford for 10 years until 2005 when he setup independantly. His garage is next to a taxi firm that ran a fleet of 20 Mk3 mondeos, from new. He ended up with a contract as their fleet mechnic so there's very little he's not come across with with the car.

The footwell lights is always a good one when you tell people. All models from LX to ST had them but in the lower models like the LX Ford just didn't fit the bulbs because it was cheaper than having a separate loom for non-footwell trims.

Soldato
The footwell lights is always a good one when you tell people. All models from LX to ST had them but in the lower models like the LX Ford just didn't fit the bulbs because it was cheaper than having a separate loom for non-footwell trims.

I think that's only true from 53 to 55ish plate cars (maybe some 06), reason being is that for some reason Ford fitted the entire floor & dash looms between those years meaning that even on an LX all of the wiring is there for most of the options for the higher up models so even the LX has the entire wiring present for things like 8 Way Heated & Cooled seats, powerfold mirrors, rear electric windows (you do need the door looms), footwell lights, automatic climate control & bluetooth/voice control.

To fit the 8 way heated & cooled seats for example you just need to bolt the seats in, plug the missing relay into the fusebox and then remove the blank from where the switch is meant to go, the connector for the switch is there behind it. Same with the automatic climate control, the whole system is present, you just need the replacement control panel for £10 on Ebay and a pair of sensors, disconnect the battery for 10 mins & the car thinks it's always had climate control.

Back
Top Bottom