furlough and pay cut

Associate
OP
Would be nice to get an update on this.
Sorry for the rubbish not updating a post!

I approached my management and explained I wasn't willing to have the 20% cut and should that be the case, I would leave.

I also spoke around my pay in general and after a lot of discussion I was given a £20k payrise and a car allowance...effectively nearly double my pay!

This was a few months ago now and tbh, I still have a bitter taste in my mouth and have been looking at the market and have had 4 interviews with the same company (a massive multinational well known worldwide) with various different teams and done 2 presentations! - is this the standard now? They seem to like my ideas and thoughts on various subjects on IT, networking and security so fingers crossed I get the role - they will let me know in 2 weeks...I applied in October!

its a pay rise on my current role, which shows how much I was underpaid BEFORE the 20k pay rise! and frankly, a better opportunity with more investment in its IT and technology in general.

Nail in the coffin was Christmas, they furloughed everyone (including my boss) on 100% pay, guess who wasn't furloughed...and have customers ringing all over Christmas and maintaining systems for customers...literally not a single other person working! no better than benefit fraudsters.

Soldato
literally not a single other person working! no better than benefit fraudsters.
Harsh view of it. I hope no one where I work has that view of it. I'm on about 95% pay and work a total of one day a week. Others still work full time some work two days a week.

Associate
OP
Harsh view of it. I hope no one where I work has that view of it. I'm on about 95% pay and work a total of one day a week. Others still work full time some work two days a week.
But there was work to be done, I was working flat out with multiple calls and no one to direct anyone to "sorry, they aren't in today" doesn't wash when a customer on an SLA wants something sorting.

remember - those customers are paying for a service that they weren't getting not because of covid but because the government put a system in place in which businesses can build a war chest over the covid period using furlough.

Associate
OP
I might have worded that wrong, not the employees fault at all, the employer on the other hand are the directed comment on benefit fraud.

Soldato
But there was work to be done, I was working flat out with multiple calls and no one to direct anyone to "sorry, they aren't in today" doesn't wash when a customer on an SLA wants something sorting.

remember - those customers are paying for a service that they weren't getting not because of covid but because the government put a system in place in which businesses can build a war chest over the covid period using furlough.
Ahhh that's fair enough then. Or place has basically kept everyone there as little as possible while being able to complete the work.
I mostly certify so low volume high value role I suppose Vs people in that do the bulk of the work but lots of it.
I'll build one of specials that others aren't certified on and step into help testing when I finish my stuff but still have time.
We all work really well together to be honest.

Associate
OP
Ahhh that's fair enough then. Or place has basically kept everyone there as little as possible while being able to complete the work.
I mostly certify so low volume high value role I suppose Vs people in that do the bulk of the work but lots of it.
I'll build one of specials that others aren't certified on and step into help testing when I finish my stuff but still have time.
We all work really well together to be honest.
sounds lovely, just having a team would be nice to be honesty.

I get quite lonely, which sounds sad I know.

I do think businesses that claim furlough and haven't met that "business severly affected" claim, will get a massive HMRC claw back at some point, HMRC can see if a business is "severely affected" very easily by just looking at VAT over historic periods for that business, VAT Online system will be used in full force to spot those companies that claimed it without being severely impacted. a cash strapped government will roll out its tax tank!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

How can you be on furlough AND expected to work from home? Genuine question.

In my mind, you're either off (furlough) or working from home (full pay) :confused:

Caporegime

In my mind, you're either off (furlough) or working from home (full pay) :confused:
This is a good point. If you’re on Furlough you’re supposed to be doing NO work. There are many, many stories of bosses furloughing staff, claiming the money and then asking their staff, even at home ‘could you just.....’ and ‘we need you to do a....’ which is technically illegal.

Soldato

I thought you are allowed to work part time now.

I might have worded that wrong, not the employees fault at all, the employer on the other hand are the directed comment on benefit fraud.

They don't get 100% of the wages back from government. However, if the business can operate without staff as this is suggesting then it'll be interesting to see what happens once this all ends.

Associate
OP
Just to update on this, I got offered the new job! pay increase, working from home and in an area I am massively interested in and volunteer already in outside of work so it will be nice to get paid for that in my full time employment.

just waiting for the contract and will be handing my notice in, I expect a huge fall out but frankly the way I have been treated during covid highlighted a lot of the weight that was put on me, I will be glad to just focus on 1 role within an organisation for once and work with a team - going on leave without a laptop will be a new world!

Interesting was my mindset to the new role, I would have taken it if they offered me less than I was on originally, I don't require a huge salary at the current time in my life but its nice to be offered my worth without even mentioning money at all.

I won't be offering 6 months notice, I will be offering 3months, seeing as they cut my pay by 20% for best part of a year they more than had their money out of me!

Soldato
Awesome, congratulations!

Interesting point about the pay. I’m currently considering my own options and I feel like if my company were to match a new salary I’d just think, why didn’t you just give me this before.

Soldato
The one thing thats literally just occurred to me, a 20k pay bump and a car allowance was close to doubling your pay.

So you were on circa 30k, with a 6 month notice... what in the ****?

Associate
OP
The one thing thats literally just occurred to me, a 20k pay bump and a car allowance was close to doubling your pay.

So you were on circa 30k, with a 6 month notice... what in the ****?
Yep,

I was on 30k, then 55k +5k car allowance.

They just this week offered me 80k to stay (after it hit them how much I carry on my shoulders) and trying to force me to hold to the 6 months notice, remember they cut my salary by 20% and forced me into the office when everyone else was furlough, mentioned this to them, they just said "don't be like that"...I will be how I like, thanks.

Maybe they should improve their management skills and not make or allow a single employee do the work of 3-4 and become indispensable.

I'm still leaving, they are trying to recruit 3 new employees (1 in London, 2 in the midlands) to replace me and finding the skillset salaries aren't the 15-20k each they thought.

looking at 3 x staff at more than I was earning pre COVID each.

you reap what you sow.

Back
Top Bottom