• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

A2B

A2B

Associate
Nvidia have confirmed it now.
https://www.pcgamer.com/no-nvidia-rtx-3060-12gb-founders-edition-at-launch-rumour-suggests/
Good luck getting one for less than a couple of hundred quid over MSRP in the short term I guess.

Interesting that this is the first non-90 card with much more memory then. maybe the AIB's needed something to justify their higher price points, and nvidia agreed to get out of the way on this one.

Update: Nvidia has offered us the following brief statement confirming that there will be no RTX 3060 12GB Founders Edition:

“From time to time we decide not to design a Founder’s Edition card for cards targeted at the mainstream part of the market.”

That means the RTX 3060 launch in late February will be comprised of third-party AIB cards only. Make sure to keep an eye out for those when launch day rolls around."

A2B

A2B

Associate
btw, I had a MSI 3080 in my basket for £750 today. it was collection only but it would have gone through if I hadn't dithered (it already picked a store for me).

save me from myself! :)

Caporegime
not necessarily. the difference is that nvidia doesn't have to pay nvidia's price for the chipset and memory like the AIB's do. it's gonna be cheaper for nvidia, so might still turn a profit on a more elaborate card.

Maybe maybe not, but that video i posted above heavily hints that they used to lose money on the reference cards before they increased the pricing and renamed them. They could well be back to losing money on them for all we know.

A2B

A2B

Associate
Maybe maybe not, but that video i posted above heavily hints that they used to lose money on the reference cards before they increased the pricing and renamed them. They could well be back to losing money on them for all we know.

Would be interesting to know for sure. Just like it would be interesting to know how the FE supply chain really works, and which OEM actually makes them for Nvidia.

Soldato

Would be interesting to know for sure. Just like it would be interesting to know how the FE supply chain really works, and which OEM actually makes them for Nvidia.

If if they are not making a loss, it’s pretty clear they’ll make more profit by just selling the chips to AIBs which is why they do it. If they didn’t they would just use a contract manufacturer like foxcon to just pump out the boards all day. The latter would be significantly more efficient through the entire supply chain. The reason why you don’t is because you can make more profit doing it the other way.

A2B

A2B

Associate
If if they are not making a loss, it’s pretty clear they’ll make more profit by just selling the chips to AIBs which is why they do it. If they didn’t they would just use a contract manufacturer like foxcon to just pump out the boards all day.

that seems right. but it still doesn't mean the make a loss on FEs - they might, but I suspect they just have small margins on them. I don't think like guys running that kind of show, but I assume losing money would be against their business instincts. if they were losing money, you would expect them to pull the FEs after a short time (they did their job, setting expectations and MSRP). but as they seem to continue making them, I don't think they're losing money.

Soldato
not necessarily. the difference is that nvidia doesn't have to pay nvidia's price for the chipset and memory like the AIB's do. it's gonna be cheaper for nvidia, so might still turn a profit on a more elaborate card.

This is pretty much it, nvidia doesnt pay distributor price, it pays component price.

Caporegime
This is pretty much it, nvidia doesnt pay distributor price, it pays component price.

Which then has to be assembled, tested, boxed, packaged for shipping, distributed etc. Depending on who they get to do this it might cost more than we think. AMD reference boards iirc are or used to be made by Sapphire, no idea who does the nvidia boards, foxconn maybe?

Soldato
If if they are not making a loss, it’s pretty clear they’ll make more profit by just selling the chips to AIBs which is why they do it. If they didn’t they would just use a contract manufacturer like foxcon to just pump out the boards all day. The latter would be significantly more efficient through the entire supply chain. The reason why you don’t is because you can make more profit doing it the other way.

you 'could' be right on the more profit but also bear in mind having read the 3dfx story, its more than just profit per chip, its also about the logistical operation of manufacturing cards and retailing them. Nvidia probably dont want to be distracted with all that, they didnt even want to properly make their store anti bot and just outsourced instead. Manufacturing every card without any board partners is probably too much of a headache regardless if its profitable or not.

The advertising benefit is clear to see as well, reviews go out for FE, then again for every AIB, so its repeated advertising.

Soldato
Which then has to be assembled, tested, boxed, packaged for shipping, distributed etc. Depending on who they get to do this it might cost more than we think. AMD reference boards iirc are or used to be made by Sapphire, no idea who does the nvidia boards, foxconn maybe?
Foxconn and BYD were said to be manufacturing the Ampere FEs back when the cooler was first leaked.

Soldato
The 12pin adapter truly is gash. They could have at least made it longer.

Anybody found any decent aftermarket adapters?

I went Moddiy as did few others on here I gather. Make it however long you want, direct to PSU, any color, finish etc.

Went for silver wire finish, extremely nice and sleek with no heatshrink.

Soldato
I went Moddiy as did few others on here I gather. Make it however long you want, direct to PSU, any color, finish etc.

Went for silver wire finish, extremely nice and sleek with no heatshrink.

Was away to suggest that too. I had just ordered one last night. Whats the delivery times like? Last time I ordered a connector from them it took about 9-12 weeks.

Soldato
Was away to suggest that too. I had just ordered one last night. Whats the delivery times like? Last time I ordered a connector from them it took about 9-12 weeks.

Depends which shipping method, recently I went registered airmail, that was quick, looking at postage link, 14 days for one order and 12 for another separate order, at trail end of last year.

For the free shipping orders a bit longer ago, one took 22 days and another a bit over a month.

Soldato
I ordered one which was shipped on the 17th December with the free shipping method, haven't got it yet. It only left HK on the 30th December according to the tracking and it hasn't been picked up by RM yet.

Soldato
Depends which shipping method, recently I went registered airmail, that was quick, looking at postage link, 14 days for one order and 12 for another separate order, at trail end of last year.

For the free shipping orders a bit longer ago, one took 22 days and another a bit over a month.

Thinking about it, I think it may have been March/April when I ordered so right at the peak of the first Rona outbreak. I took the free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom