What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Yikes, got a guy at work who's a massive cycler, he has three.

Man jobs done today, one quarter of the loft cleared of rubbish, boxes, and old files/documents stuff we don't need, ready for an impending tip run. Only one quarter to go as we slim down for a hopeful move.

Soldato
Cleaned the outside of kitchen window - do not have a extractor fan exit near a window.:mad:

When we moved we cleared out a lot of junk from 2 lofts and rest just took up a 6x6ft spot in loft of renter -When we bought our existing house we dumped the lot as we never touched any of it. - We now have a loft full of wifes junk.

Soldato
Ripped out the garden fence...quite the job!

This is an old 1800s terrace, and most houses share gardens in pairs, with a ginnel and shared path running the full length of a long, narrow garden.

Previous owners were a bit odd, and erected a 6ft fence between our section of garden, and the shared path. Also ****** off all the neighbours, as this is a nice village community where people chat over fences and know each other.

Anyway, was a hell of a job, mallet and cold chisel to break up the concrete bases.

The old dear (widow) next door has never looked so happy though, keeps thanking me, we've both got a far nicer outlook at the back instead of that bloody eyesore of a fence too!

Soldato
Cut the timber for and put up some shelves on my (to be finished) toolboard

IMG-20210121-185732.jpg

Soldato
That middle shelf may need an extra bracket, looks slightly bowed. Are you going full on shadowboard?
the problem with mdf is that it creeps like mad over time. I would recommend putting either a timber batten underneath glued/screwed to help stiffen it up. Alternatively add a steel angle trim, it can make a huge difference. Also consider taking the shelf off and turning it over to help even out the sag going forwards.

Soldato
Has anyone checked their pensions recently? I've just looked at my 2020 annual statement from my employer and even though I paid nearly £7k last year my overall pot is down £4k :eek:. I haven't even checked my private pension yet but I'm guessing it's going to be a similar story.

Soldato
anyone know a good sprayable grease for a boiler fan? Ours started squeaking and siezed. The chap got it working with AC90 spray and we've ordered a replacement but I think we should probably grease it given previous comments a few days ago.

Soldato
Has anyone checked their pensions recently? I've just looked at my 2020 annual statement from my employer and even though I paid nearly £7k last year my overall pot is down £4k :eek:. I haven't even checked my private pension yet but I'm guessing it's going to be a similar story.

Same old story, investments funds will offset losses against customers money before effecting the profitability of the company. When the market is up you never realise all the profit, then when it's down you are hit for the maximum.

Soldato
Same old story, investments funds will offset losses against customers money before effecting the profitability of the company. When the market is up you never realise all the profit, then when it's down you are hit for the maximum.
I check mine monthly, and there was a massive drop around April, and it took a couple of months to recover.

Soldato
It's ok at the moment but, yes, may need to strengthen it depending what ends up on there :D

As for full on shadow board - not yet decided - will get all my bike tools on the board then see where I go from there

Just been and swapped the shelves out with some 35x35 battens and screwed ply to the top, bottom one is an old plank I found in the garage - much sturdier

IMG-20210122-194042.jpg

Also got some more brackets for the other shelving rack and put a new shelf on that to take some more plastic storage boxes.

IMG-20210122-194124.jpg

Hoping to get the garage about finished this weekend !

Associate
That is a lot of bikes!

Only four are mine :D

Five including the spin bike :p

That's nothing, between my wife and I we have 8 bikes total, although a few of them are in my in-laws garage as we don't have much room for them all in our North London house.

2 mountain bikes, 2 racing bikes, 2 commuter road bikes and 2 touring bikes.

When we move back to Leeds later this year hopefully we buy a house with a large garage as I plan to hang them in a similar way! I like the idea of a french cleat system so I can move them around if needed.

Soldato
I have a HT MTB, Full Sus, Road and a Gravel (which I also have a road wheelset for) then the spin bike for intervals ) HITT etc

The Mrs and 2 kids then have 1 each - the small one on the far left is an old one which which we will sell or give away leaving room for another (plus i have two spare brackets :p)

Been more progress on the workbench this morning ...

IMG-20210123-123025.jpg

Certainly getting there :D

Soldato
Chased down a squeak in my Workmate and oiled it. Probably the most satisfying moment of DIY all year :p

Still doing a few other odd jobs and a guitar repair so the squeak was driving me (and probably housemates) mad.

Back
Top Bottom