• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

In a few mins you will have a chance to grab a 6800 or 3060Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Would a 2 layer phone verification order system not stop bots?

It doesn't matter what you do. Bots are making it easier but even if it has to be done manually, there's whole groups of people that will do it manually if needs be and still scalp and buy out all stock ASAP. There's no stopping it. One of the US shops decided the only fair way to deal with it is a raffle and they're trying that now. Simply randomly picking up customers from a pool and letting them buy card for 2h before they lose spot etc. Might be the only sensible option really.

G J

G J

Associate
Hmm was looking at 3060ti's but I have to work today. :mad:

I wonder how many forum members that got kicked of the discord for scalping are the same ones buying multiple cards off the MM.

Associate
It doesn't matter what you do. Bots are making it easier but even if it has to be done manually, there's whole groups of people that will do it manually if needs be and still scalp and buy out all stock ASAP. There's no stopping it. One of the US shops decided the only fair way to deal with it is a raffle and they're trying that now. Simply randomly picking up customers from a pool and letting them buy card for 2h before they lose spot etc. Might be the only sensible option really.
Fair enough. But we all know the only way to stop scalping really is supply!

Soldato
Peoples loyalties lie in different places. Such is life.

Are we still talking about GPUs? Or a community I have equally been a long part of too? :D

This forum isn't any less immune to scalpers, as already said. There's even been a few dodgy ones try it in the MM :rolleyes:

Yes I sold my 3080FE for a small profit, temptation got the better of me :(

Wish I still had it, going for silly money now! lol

And the rest :D (also proves my point, so thanks for admitting it lol)

Associate
Man, Gibbo specifically asked everyone to keep it quiet so that people here might have a chance to buy. Now you've invited the world in. Great work.

Hilarious pointing that at one individual. Any idea just how many discord / twitter / instatwat groups there are for alerts? You can't avoid it and instead of sitting with blinkers on trying to wait patiently for a card, go join one of these groups and actually stand a reasonable chance if you're quick enough. All of these groups were setup to help people genuinely get a card before the bot heavy scalpers took the lot.

Obviously there's individuals in these groups that are in there just to make a quick buck (see post above about insta ban when caught out), but on the whole most people are genuinely in them to get the card they want. These groups have helped hundreds, probably thousands of people get a gpu. I managed to get mine through one of these groups and also helped others to secure a card. Or i could have joined a 6k+ backlog que and crossed fingers of getting one before 40XX are released....

Associate
Fair enough. But we all know the only way to stop scalping really is supply!

That is true, enough of supply would solve it. However, both NVidia and AMD already said don't expect any better supply in Q1 of this year. Then, I assume Q2 won't be much better. There's a reason NVidia is bringing back 2k series to fill in the mid-range gap (with still way too high pricing though). I also believe this is the last time we see (for a long time to come) powerful new cards below £1k in price. 4080 will surely go above that pricing, same with AMD most likely. People already shown them they will buy it for high pricing, as long as product is good.

Associate
Hilarious pointing that at one individual.

That one individual did take the action though, when specifically asked not to. Whether there are many groups or not, this person actively undermined something that was put together for this community. "Everyone's doing it" doesn't make it OK. Putting things out with an honesty jar in a big city may be foolish, but the person taking without paying is still the *******.

These groups have helped hundreds, probably thousands of people get a gpu.

No, they've just helped their members get a GPU over others. (I'm not even really in the market at the moment, my 2080Ti is still fantastic. It's still crappy behaviour)

Associate
That is true, enough of supply would solve it. However, both NVidia and AMD already said don't expect any better supply in Q1 of this year. Then, I assume Q2 won't be much better. There's a reason NVidia is bringing back 2k series to fill in the mid-range gap (with still way too high pricing though). I also believe this is the last time we see (for a long time to come) powerful new cards below £1k in price. 4080 will surely go above that pricing, same with AMD most likely. People already shown them they will buy it for high pricing, as long as product is good.

This is why I punted for a 3070 (fingers crossed it goes through). I basically expect to have to wait for the top of the line to come at the end of the year. Don't want to constantly wait.

Besides, if there is still a shortage, I can sell my RX 580 for the same price I bought it....4 years ago.

Soldato
That one individual did take the action though, when specifically asked not to. Whether there are many groups or not, this person actively undermined something that was put together for this community. "Everyone's doing it" doesn't make it OK.

Get a grip, this is a public forum. I don't work for OcUK, however we've managed to help 100s and prob 1000s get CPUs, GPUs and consoles now the last 4-5 months.

Mostly genuine people I'm sure, don't doubt a bunch of scalpers lurk on the Discord who got them too. But any we find out we boot out. We've even had users from OcUK help us get orders cancelled contacting OcUK and the other popular retailer. But this forum is just the same, it's not locked down so there are 100s/1000s of less-good willed people / scalpers who will benefit from these alerts.

No, they've just helped their members get a GPU over others.

Wtf? :confused: You know a lot of our "members" (who don't pay anything btw?) are from OcUK btw... :rolleyes:

Geez, who'd have thought people be toxic towards a free service and some people spending their time to help others. :)

Anyway nuff said I'm done with this thread. Clearly I'm not 'loyal' enough, only been here 13+ years... some people's heads are too high up in the clouds.

Caporegime
Get a grip, this is a public forum. I don't work for OcUK, however have managed to help 100s and prob 1000s get CPUs, GPUs and consoles now the last 4-5 months.

You have, and a very good thing you're doing too imo. I know I'm moaning about the links going on but they are still getting into the hands of gamers which is what is wanted all round!

Associate
Get a grip, this is a public forum. I don't work for OcUK, however have managed to help 100s and prob 1000s get CPUs, GPUs and consoles now the last 4-5 months.

No, you've just managed to change who gets them.

Geez, who'd have thought people be toxic towards a free service and some people spending their time to help others.

Except you've just crapped on the chances of people here to get one by publicising it, not helped at all.

Associate
@Sparx All you have done is opened the door totally wide open allowing the scalpers and their bots to feed. Please Don't give us "I am the community" guys nonsense. You done no one here any favours. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom