Thundebolt vs Type C USB

fez

fez

Caporegime
USB-C is simply a port in the same way that USB-A (the one that you can never put in the right way around) is. Thunderbolt is a data and power transmission technology from intel. Its all a little confusing at this stage as you have various types of USB and different generations of thunderbolt.

To oversimplify, most monitors have some sort of hub built into them to allow you to connect hard drives, keyboards or whatever else you might want. These days most monitors will have USB-C ports as part of that. That would be "with USB-C connectivity".

If a monitor says its a thunderbolt display that will usually mean that you can connect it to a computer via thunderbolt (which will be a USB-C type cable) for the actual picture and usually some sort of power delivery if connecting a laptop.

Associate
OP
USB-C is simply a port in the same way that USB-A (the one that you can never put in the right way around) is. Thunderbolt is a data and power transmission technology from intel. Its all a little confusing at this stage as you have various types of USB and different generations of thunderbolt.

To oversimplify, most monitors have some sort of hub built into them to allow you to connect hard drives, keyboards or whatever else you might want. These days most monitors will have USB-C ports as part of that. That would be "with USB-C connectivity".

If a monitor says its a thunderbolt display that will usually mean that you can connect it to a computer via thunderbolt (which will be a USB-C type cable) for the actual picture and usually some sort of power delivery if connecting a laptop.
I have a monitor with type C that is not thunderbolt and my thunderbolt PC outputs to that display via type C.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have a monitor with type C that is not thunderbolt and my thunderbolt PC outputs to that display via type C.

I have the same with my mac. I have an LG ultrafine which connects over usb-c non-thunderbolt but it connects to the thunderbolt port on my PC. Its much the same as most digital connectors which don't have to have the same connection at both ends or do not have to have the same speed capabilities both ends. Non thunderbolt has limitations on the data throughput however so I cannot do the usual thunderbolt 3 daisychaining of the 2 4k monitors because they cannot transfer that amount of information via the USB-C 3.1 connection.

I don't believe that most monitors with usb-c ports on them are using them for display simply because most computers that connect to them won't be able to output video via a usb-c port. There are very few GFX cards that do this.

Like I said, its all a bit convoluted.

Associate
OP
I have the same with my mac. I have an LG ultrafine which connects over usb-c non-thunderbolt but it connects to the thunderbolt port on my PC. Its much the same as most digital connectors which don't have to have the same connection at both ends or do not have to have the same speed capabilities both ends. Non thunderbolt has limitations on the data throughput however so I cannot do the usual thunderbolt 3 daisychaining of the 2 4k monitors because they cannot transfer that amount of information via the USB-C 3.1 connection.

I don't believe that most monitors with usb-c ports on them are using them for display simply because most computers that connect to them won't be able to output video via a usb-c port. There are very few GFX cards that do this.

Like I said, its all a bit convoluted.
My PC has a thunderbolt port and my display has type C and this is how connect them. I'm due to upgrade my monitor soon and was wondering what is so special about a thunderbolt display when my relatively cheap display can do the same. Looks like daisy chaining and probably higher resolutions are the only benefits which might be beneficial for some people.

fez

fez

Caporegime
My PC has a thunderbolt port and my display has type C and this is how connect them. I'm due to upgrade my monitor soon and was wondering what is so special about a thunderbolt display when my relatively cheap display can do the same. Looks like daisy chaining and probably higher resolutions are the only benefits which might be beneficial for some people.

For laptops the idea is that you literally come home with your laptop, plug in a single thunderbolt 3 cable and all your monitors are connected, your laptop is being powered and all your peripherals are also connected and powered. For most desktops thats not really a concern because you wouldn't have a desktop if you needed to move it on a regular basis. Display connections over usb-c have only been a thing for 4 or so years since Apple released the MBP with only thunderbolt 3 ports. Before that everything just used HDMI/mini-DP/DisplayPort etc which is what most things still use today.

What PC do you have? Are you using the term PC to mean a desktop or just in the generic sense?

Soldato
To me it feels like a really stupid design as if am correct a USB-C and thunderbolt both use the exactly the same style socket (I.E a USB-C socket)

I have no idea why but i always thought thunderbolt was an apple mac connection :o

fez

fez

Caporegime
To me it feels like a really stupid design as if am correct a USB-C and thunderbolt both use the exactly the same style socket (I.E a USB-C socket)

I have no idea why but i always thought thunderbolt was an apple mac connection :o

It’s a good thing. Most people don’t realise that USB-A has very different speeds depending on the generation. It means that we don’t get a new connection type every time we get a data rate boost.

Back
Top Bottom