Need some advice for my mum - Yaris wet floor driver side

Soldato
My mum has a 2012 yaris 1.3 vvt automatic with 25000 miles. She noticed a wet floor on the driver side and the garage isn't sure where it's coming from after an inspection. They said they would take it for a week and remove the dashboard and other stuff to try and find the problem but it could cost up to £1000 for the labour.

They also said they have a 2018 VW Up with 7400 miles for £8900 - £5k after after taking the Yaris. It wasn't a hard sell, he was offering a solution and insisted it was up to my mum to make a decision.

My mum doesn't know what's the best thing to do - they said the carpets could rot and the electrics could be damaged eventually if there's water in the dashboard (the boot wouldn't open the other day so the garage guy is thinking it could be related).

She needs an automatic and with the current situation can't really go around looking for another car plus she isn't a very confident driver (never goes on the motorway etc.)

She trusts the local garage as my dad used them for years before he passed away and they've always been honest and fair. I can't do anything from this country and she has no one else to ask...

So what would you advise - buy the VW or let the garage try to find the problem?

Thanks

Soldato
Seals would be the first thing to look at. If the door or window glass isn't aligned properly it might let some rain in. Or if the seals are shot.

Associate
do you have access to a hose pipe? if so take the mats out dry up as much as you can and then put some paper down with talcum powder close the doors and very slowly apply a steady trickle of water to the car.
start with the lowest points first so around the bottom of the doors and check for water inside then move further up the door frame, rinse and repeat ...np pun.

always check by entering the car from opposite wet side.

as advice i think i would ask another garage/bodyshop for a second opinion.

leak detecting isnt rocket science it just can be a pita in cold weather but methodically working your way through will yield results .

as a footnote i used to take my young daughter with me when i did leak detecting, (part of fitting windscreen business) put her inside with a bag of sweets and a torch she loved it routing around looking for water trails.

Soldato
OP
do you have access to a hose pipe? if so take the mats out dry up as much as you can and then put some paper down with talcum powder close the doors and very slowly apply a steady trickle of water to the car.
start with the lowest points first so around the bottom of the doors and check for water inside then move further up the door frame, rinse and repeat ...np pun.

always check by entering the car from opposite wet side.

as advice i think i would ask another garage/bodyshop for a second opinion.

leak detecting isnt rocket science it just can be a pita in cold weather but methodically working your way through will yield results .

as a footnote i used to take my young daughter with me when i did leak detecting, (part of fitting windscreen business) put her inside with a bag of sweets and a torch she loved it routing around looking for water trails.

Great idea, thanks!

Man of Honour
This is a good idea,

Try a hose pipe with both a strong jet of water but also a weak trickle too. Sometimes a weak trickle can make its way through a hairline gap when a strong jet doesn't.

Soldato
No idea if it's relevant to the Yaris, but I had a leak in my old Skoda Fabia footwell years ago, which turned out to be leaves clogging up the drainage holes, which caused water to leak through the pollen filter, as it had nowhere else to go. Clearing the drain hole in the engine bay resolved it.

A quick google suggests this is possible for you too;

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/92541-help-leak-into-yaris-car-footwell/

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61383

For me at least it was a nice easy fix... I just had to find the drainage holes and pull the debris out :)

EDIT - Alternatively, it seems there is a common issue with the drainage

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/93975-wet-front-footwell/

Last edited:
Associate
Problems like this are more often than not down to leaves blocking drainage holes at the base of the windscreen. Pop the bonnet up and have a good look around. Something long and thin like a radiator cleaning brush is handy to have to hand.

Also, if you want a car that doesn't leak, I'd steer clear of an UP. Loads of problems with wet carpets, water in sills and the hatch leaking if you look on line.

Back
Top Bottom