What film did you watch last night?

Associate
So as I'm working my way through the clone wars TV series I've decided to plow through the old prequel movies to remind me of how they actually went, as I've not seen them in a couple decades...

First up, The Phantom Menace...

I know people liked to bang on about it when they came out, but Jar Jar really is annoying, I think their technology is cool, but I'd rather the movie been without him and his people's way of talking.

The acting seemed to vary wildly, some of the lesser cast - people like Anakin's mother were terrible and couldn't deliver lines in a believable fashion at all. Even Natalie Portman seemed to bounce around a bit, but I think it's maybe actually Kiera Knightly being terrible and I forgot about their switcharoo at times. Ewan Mcgregor looks way younger than I remembered him to be but I enjoyed. I'd entirely forgotten Liam Neeson was in it. Child Anakin was predictably annoying, but I guess that's what you'd expect from a kid. Palpatine definitely is the highlight... I spotted Warwick Davis in it at one point, which I thought was interesting that he's just there in the background.

Darth Maul is probably one of the better bits, a bit of a shame how he's removed as quickly as he's introduced I'd not have minded if there'd been more exposition around him.

Sometimes it looked a bit off in how it'd been made and shot, but considering how old it is then I think it holds up visually very well.

Overall I think it was probably better than the more modern films, but not as good as the originals, naturally.

Associate
Les Miserables, a very good bad cop/good cop French movie. Almost a little like training day in a way. But supposedly it had real world political implications, that helped improve the area due to how accurate the movie is on the current living conditions. 8/10.

Any suggestions for more French movies? I don't think I've seen a bad one, but then not really set out to watch any bad ones :p
Taxi and Nikita are fantastic action movies, let down by American remakes. Well Point of no return was ok, Taxi with Queen Latifah was an abomination.

Soldato
Taxi and Nikita are fantastic action movies, let down by American remakes. Well Point of no return was ok, Taxi with Queen Latifah was an abomination.
Taxi was great although I've only seen and own 1 and 2. I've seen online there are at least 5 of them and the most recent one was really bad from the trailer. Seems to have been turned into a slapstick comedy.

Man of Honour
The Birds (1963)

58 years old!

As daft as the premise sounds and as shonky as the special effects now look, this is still a surprisingly unsettling film. Great slow paced plot about nothing much in particular and then bang, killer birds in children’s faces.

I think it’s the combo of something super innocent (birds) viscously attacking the innocent (children and others) that makes it feel dissonant.

The shot with the crows in the playground, even though it’s so obvious with the build up, is amazing. What a brilliantly unsettling moment.

I’m still not entirely sure how they did all of the effects, noting the age of the film. I guess they filmed birds in front of green screen and placed that in front of the filming of actors..... an ‘inverse green screen’ effect (the opposite of the classic green screen driving sequences in older films).

The ending is very abrupt and unfortunate.

All in all though, a surprisingly entertaining watch!

7.5/10

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Les Miserables, a very good bad cop/good cop French movie. Almost a little like training day in a way. But supposedly it had real world political implications, that helped improve the area due to how accurate the movie is on the current living conditions. 8/10.

Any suggestions for more French movies? I don't think I've seen a bad one, but then not really set out to watch any bad ones :p

The Intouchables (2011) - Brillaint movie and based on a true story to some extent.

Not seen The Upside which is the American take on it, just the chosen actors put me off. I think what pulled me in with The Intouchables was that I didn't recognise any of the cast so I didn't associate them with any other character and was pulled in more.

Associate
I think a lot of the impact of the impact of this film has been lost over the years. Back in the 1980's AIDS ripped though the gay community and with no real treatment and certainly no cure people were terrified of it. Getting sacked if your company found out was a real possibility. Nowadays there are affective treatments and a lot more is known about the disease. There isn't the same fear of it.
Great point

Caporegime
The Iceman. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1491044/

I fancied giving this another watch and for whatever reason, I enjoyed it more the second time around.

Some good actors making an appearance in this; David Schwimmer plays a pretty good part, as does Robert Davis, Ray Liotta, and the main characters, Michael Shannon and Winona Ryder.

Caporegime
The Intouchables (2011) - Brillaint movie and based on a true story to some extent.

Not seen The Upside which is the American take on it, just the chosen actors put me off. I think what pulled me in with The Intouchables was that I didn't recognise any of the cast so I didn't associate them with any other character and was pulled in more.

Agreed, one of my favourite movies.

Not seen Nikita, definitely seen Taxi although a long time ago. I shall revisit both of these :) Thanks.

Associate
Next up in my Prequels rewatch ... Attack of the Clones.

Okay this is a straight up great movie... I'm not sure why I wasn't feeling it before, it's miles better than the more recent ones... I didn't really like horny Anakin but it's still better than kid Anakin, and I again felt like Natalie Portman wasn't all that believable in places ... but it's got loads of interesting stuff going on and building up... minimal Jar Jar which I was thankful for...

If anything I'd just like it to have had some more gaps filled in, like Count Dooku appearing out of nowhere I'd like to have had some backstory on and seen him slowly turned to the dark side and stuff, again with Anakin talking about how Palpatine's been a good guide to him and things, I'd be curious to see how all that came about... but I guess there's only so much you can cram into one movie.

Soldato
The battery 7/10
Really low budget zombie flick, which is more about the relationship between the two main characters than the zombie plague going on around them. Really enjoyed this, very entertaining and better than most big budget zombie films.

Soldato
Currently watching Back to the Future (don't think I've seen it since about 1988), still quite good and holds up ok, even the fx aren't that bad
It's great but there are some bits that are a little *yikes* from a 2021 perspective.

Like Marty's dad spying on Marty's mum changing, and Biff straight up trying to rape her! It's all a bit "boys will be boys" about it.

Man of Honour
Patriot Games

A more subtle Harrison Ford affair, putting him against Sean Bean in an IRA-based battle of terrorism.

It was lacking something. The IRA aspect of it made it feel a bit gritty and real, which could be a plus for some but for me it was 'less fun'. It was never really intense enough for it to rely on the amount of dialogue that it did.

Quite middling really and not much of note.

5/10

----

Air Force One

A less subtle Harrison Ford Affair, putting him against Garry Oldman in a soviet-based battle of terrorism.

This one is actually pretty good. The cheese is enjoyable (particularly when Mr. President is holding on for life in front of a big explosion). Harrison Ford is likeable. The baddies feel ruthless and it was still quite intense when they took over the plane. The film drags a little at the end and we aren't given any justification for the turncoat... but overall really quite enjoyable, surprisingly so.

7.5/10

Last edited:
Soldato

I haven't seen the Intouchables. I have to watch it, but am leaving it a few months because I am just after watching The Upside.

I don't like Bryan Cranston and normally hate Kevin Hart in movies, but, they were both excellent in The Upside. IT totally caught me by surprise. Everybody who have recommended it to has enjoyed if, even those who normally wouldn't watch any movies with those two actors.

Back
Top Bottom