How can I earn extra money with my knowledge of computers?

Soldato
Just posting to add that I'm a 33 year old engineering apprentice.

I worked in warehousing for 8 years previously and it destroyed my soul. I was looking at any and all ways out so Kept applying and applying , had a few interviews , chats with recruiters etc. eventually got to an assessment day for a big company where I got top scores. Took a small paycut but I enjoy my work/learning and will be pretty well qualified by the end of this year.

Soldato
Not sure what to recommend OP, but best wishes, not easy trying to decide where to take your career!
Anyone paid to put themselves through security clearance approval, just wondered how much it was? I thought you could only do this through being sponsored?
I'm pretty sure you can only get it through a sponsor (i.e. your current or future employer), so I'm not sure what that post mentioning this was on about tbh. I've never head of anyone putting themselves through it prior to getting a job that required it.

Maybe it's different if you go the self employed contractor route, but tbh from people I used to know who did contracting jobs requiring security clearance I wouldn't recommend it, seemed like the pay was pretty poor considering the lack of job security, and development prospects were pretty limited. And these people had much more experience than the OP does! From what I've seen it's only a good idea if you're already skilled in a particular area and have enough expertise that you can apply for more senior roles, where you could be taking home much more money than if you did the same job as an employee.

Soldato
You don't need to have a degree to get into IT support.

The UK's focus on churning out overpriced mickey mouse degrees has certainly created a fake sense of competition with people sometimes asking for degrees for even low grade jobs that never previously required a degree. However, despite that, if you go somewhere and do a good interview and demonstrate a good character, willingness to work and relevant knowledge then you are in with a shot.

+1 there may be some jobs that require a degree but IT isn't one of them. If you're diligent about it your time would be better spent self studying industry qualifications in the area you want to get into.

Keep applying for entry level jobs and/or volunteer to work somewhere for free in order to gain experience if it's a sector you really want to get into. I'd wager if you did that for 12 months you'd be far better placed them someone who spent years (and tens of thousands of pounds) getting a degree.

Caporegime
+1 there may be some jobs that require a degree but IT isn't one of them. If you're diligent about it your time would be better spent self studying industry qualifications in the area you want to get into.

Keep applying for entry level jobs and/or volunteer to work somewhere for free in order to gain experience if it's a sector you really want to get into. I'd wager if you did that for 12 months you'd be far better placed them someone who spent years (and tens of thousands of pounds) getting a degree.
Yeah, many McDegrees from the wealth of McUniversities in the UK aren't worth the paper they are printed on. £30k for a higher education that most European employers would laugh at.

Associate

This x100 - i dont have much in the way of qualifications bar itil and price2 but somehow i seem to have been at university for 20plus years...
Hmm doing it backwards i think :p

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Are there any Government grants available for retraining? I was made redundant in 2005 and at the time the Welsh Government were offering £2.5k which paid for my class I & II, ADR licence and Hiab.

Associate
You don't need to have a degree to get into IT support.

The UK's focus on churning out overpriced mickey mouse degrees has certainly created a fake sense of competition with people sometimes asking for degrees for even low grade jobs that never previously required a degree. However, despite that, if you go somewhere and do a good interview and demonstrate a good character, willingness to work and relevant knowledge then you are in with a shot.

Ah, my bad, I maybe misread the OP.
I thought the guy was trying to break out of dead end jobs and had a healthy interest in technology.
I was pointing out just one option, which many people working dead end jobs find it hard to consider in relation to themselves.
I was in that position myself 25 years ago until someone said to me, "you could go to university if you wanted to", and once someone had saifd it to me, it became possible.

And I wasn't suggesting a mickey mouse degree. There are also quality ones.
Of course, it may not be for the OP, and many other options are also possible. Just putting it out there.

Back
Top Bottom