How can I earn extra money with my knowledge of computers?

Caporegime
You don't need to have a degree to get into IT support.

The UK's focus on churning out overpriced mickey mouse degrees has certainly created a fake sense of competition with people sometimes asking for degrees for even low grade jobs that never previously required a degree. However, despite that, if you go somewhere and do a good interview and demonstrate a good character, willingness to work and relevant knowledge then you are in with a shot.

This is true but presumably, we're talking about IT degrees* (or similar) not mickey mouse ones and you can open far more doors with a degree (including possibly taking it further with a post-grad degree and opening even more doors).

OP could work and study too - maybe get a job in IT support or QA or something as a day job then study via the University of London, the OU etc.. or go for a degree apprenticeship scheme combining work with a sponsor and a bachelors degree over 4 years.

*Even from a naff uni these can be fine - at a former workplace we hired a guy with a degree from Westminster uni, not exactly high on the league tables and not ideal for post grad study but then again his degree was practical and relevant to the job. Perhaps the psychology grads from that sort of uni would struggle to get on the ladder to become a clinical psychologist etc.. and maybe the geography grads would struggle in general but an IT grad with relevant skills getting an IT job - shouldn't be a big issue.

Caporegime
Yes. The certification is awarded by Manchester Met Uni but you do most of the training hands-on in a McDonalds branch.
https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/earl...nt-degree-apprenticeship-programme/programme/

Lol what ****** tripe
"to learning how to be an inspirational leader."

No way ever .. you will learn to be that with a degree, its experience and that bloody that.

depends if its for 3 months or 20 years i suppose.

It's for 5 years, it's in the link @touch provided - they're combining a management role in one of their fast food places with a degree devoted to management starting in year 2.

As much as people mock McDonald's and burger-flipping I suspect it's actually a pretty good opportunity for some 18 year old who maybe hasn't made the grades to get into a good red brick uni or higher... they're straight into a junior management role, a degree in 5 years without all the associated debt and by the time they're 23 they'll have 5 years experience managing teams... could stick with Maccy Ds or pivot into other fast food etc..

People knock that sort of thing but plenty of senior execs in that company have worked in the restaurants.

See also the supermarket grad schemes - people training to become Aldi managers etc...

In fact I reckon the kid who can't really aim for a good red brick uni but instead joins something like this McDonald's scheme or perhaps goes to a below-average uni but joins say a grad scheme at Aldi or similar might well end up doing much better by age 30 than a lot of red brick uni graduates who didn't land a grad scheme job with the big 4 or a law training contract or a job with an IB etc..

Caporegime
It's for 5 years, it's in the link @touch provided - they're combining a management role in one of their fast food places with a degree devoted to management starting in year 2.

As much as people mock McDonald's and burger-flipping I suspect it's actually a pretty good opportunity for some 18 year old who maybe hasn't made the grades to get into a good red brick uni or higher... they're straight into a junior management role, a degree in 5 years without all the associated debt and by the time they're 23 they'll have 5 years experience managing teams... could stick with Maccy Ds or pivot into other fast food etc..

People knock that sort of thing but plenty of senior execs in that company have worked in the restaurants.

See also the supermarket grad schemes - people training to become Aldi managers etc...

In fact I reckon the kid who can't really aim for a good red brick uni but instead joins something like this McDonald's scheme or perhaps goes to a below-average uni but joins say a grad scheme at Aldi or similar might well end up doing much better by age 30 than a lot of red brick uni graduates who didn't land a grad scheme job with the big 4 or a law training contract or a job with an IB etc..
I am sure McDonalds, with all of their resources, can do good degrees or training programs.

The term "McAnything" is just a casual slur to whatever you think isn't particularly serious or good quality (like their burgers) and unless you work for McDonalds I don't get why it would prompt a big discussion about how good McDonalds degrees or training programs actually are.

My point was purely that there are a lot of low-grade universities in the UK churning out ***y degrees that are often not worth the high time and financial investment.

I possess retard detection capabilities, and its went off in this thread.

Did it by sheer coincidence go off the moment you used the word "retard" without providing any substance behind it?

Soldato
I possess retard detection capabilities, and its went off in this thread.
The fact you often find it difficult to construct a coherent sentence leads me to believe you are not a credible source on the effectiveness of Universities. Bet your opinion goes down well in your WhatsApp group echo chambers tho.

Soldato
No they teach us to gather lots of information to get a form an unbiased option, to only deal with facts. As you are so defensive I can only guess you went down the mcdonalds route and you are now a powerfully built director :p.
I am actually a drop out. They call me the hamburgler. Sorry for being a dick :o:p

Soldato
Similar backstory as me, but instead of a Computer Science course which I knew I would hate and it would be too hard I chose Business Computing at a metropolitan sports campus. Great facilities and a good mix of people.
I completed this after a 2 year BTEC National in Computing at College.

The BSc Business Computing was a 4 year course with 1 work year (year 3) which gave me some real world experience.
It was then Service desk work for around 5 years before I was seconded to 3rd line role. After the secondment I stayed on the team and is were I work now - Networking/Security/Cloud services for a big law firm.
The money is quite good (not amazing) the overtime / on call is very good but the training is fantastic. I've been on around 10 courses which have all been paid for including expenses, some of these courses run into 6k a week. One of the reasons i'm still at this great company, they treat staff well, flexible hours and provide really good training. Sure it's busy and stressful sometimes but what reasonably well paid job isnt

I would stay away from building computers and look into some online video courses for things like supporting Windows 10 and Office 365 then look for a job in IT support. Not meaning to sound rude but inserting some RAM and a GPU into a case isnt rocket science and like you was doing that stuff when I was in my early teens. What did always annoy me (and sort of push me to where I am today) is wanting to know why a game or Windows 95/98/XP would crash, looking at error logs and hunting for solutions.

Soldato
Whomever said you can get SC cleared and land a 50k job is an idiot who has never hired a person.

The person who then went onto claim government will hire you, insinuating tax payers pay people who are not qualified but are SC cleared, is also an idiot.

Fair enough but I wasn't disputing any of that. It was more out of interest to add another string to one's bow as I work in a niche segment of IT and sometimes see SC roles come up so being SC cleared would reduce the risk of being out of contract. Having Googled it yesterday and had a brief look it does look quite expensive so will wait until a future client wants to sponsor it.

Caporegime
I am sure McDonalds, with all of their resources, can do good degrees or training programs.
[...]
My point was purely that there are a lot of low-grade universities in the UK churning out ***y degrees that are often not worth the high time and financial investment.

I know, I agree in some cases and I did reply to that (see below) :) I wonder if you might have got a notification and appeared at the wrong post there (sometimes happens on mobile) - the reply re: McDonalds was to posters talking about that McDonald's degree.

This is true but presumably, we're talking about IT degrees* (or similar) not mickey mouse ones and you can open far more doors with a degree (including possibly taking it further with a post-grad degree and opening even more doors).

OP could work and study too - maybe get a job in IT support or QA or something as a day job then study via the University of London, the OU etc.. or go for a degree apprenticeship scheme combining work with a sponsor and a bachelors degree over 4 years.

*Even from a naff uni these can be fine - at a former workplace we hired a guy with a degree from Westminster uni, not exactly high on the league tables and not ideal for post grad study but then again his degree was practical and relevant to the job. Perhaps the psychology grads from that sort of uni would struggle to get on the ladder to become a clinical psychologist etc.. and maybe the geography grads would struggle in general but an IT grad with relevant skills getting an IT job - shouldn't be a big issue.

Associate
How about actually using Facebook to your advantage. Start out by offering to fix peoples computer issues for free, Obviously, they have to pay for any parts needed. Although you won't be earning straight away you will build up a great reputation and it will be the start of whatever kind of computer business you wish to start.

Caporegime
How about actually using Facebook to your advantage. Start out by offering to fix peoples computer issues for free, Obviously, they have to pay for any parts needed. Although you won't be earning straight away you will build up a great reputation and it will be the start of whatever kind of computer business you wish to start.
Never fix people's PC's for free, that is terrible advice. Charge a modest fee, but charge a fee. Otherwise, you will be taken for a ride and that reputation will be based on you doing freebies.

Soldato
Stay clear of welding!
Unless you get coded up to hell an back and are willing to live a life on the road there is bugger all money it, plus the H&S issues of the trade.

I'd agree with this, on one hand you have TIG welders who can earn 6 figures a year through contracts and on the other MIG welders earning a bit more than minimum wage.

Soldato
Ah, my bad, I maybe misread the OP.
I thought the guy was trying to break out of dead end jobs and had a healthy interest in technology.
I was pointing out just one option, which many people working dead end jobs find it hard to consider in relation to themselves.
I was in that position myself 25 years ago until someone said to me, "you could go to university if you wanted to", and once someone had saifd it to me, it became possible.

And I wasn't suggesting a mickey mouse degree. There are also quality ones.
Of course, it may not be for the OP, and many other options are also possible. Just putting it out there.

That what I'm doing right now at university doing networking degree and I couldn't be happier in my 2nd year now ✊✊

Coming from low income security guard job I wanted something better for myself and family.

Back
Top Bottom