Will UK rent prices decrease due to all the deaths?

Associate
Sounds harsh, but likely true.

With 100K + dying due to Covid, will this decrease UK rent prices in the coming year or two, due to spare capacity of rooms, houses etc?

Man of Honour
In a population of 67m (estimated) even if a million died, all of which removed and entire "unit" of rent demand (won't be the case because people will be sharing) then it'd be a drop in demand of 1.5%. Would you even notice a drop in your rent of that much?

Caporegime
That's true, but maybe they could then be rented out as flats/rooms - this would increase capacity and possibly reduce rents

Pull the other one.

Care homes have waiting lists where I am well the good ones do. It's hard to get into the good ones so I'm sure they will have no issues finding new residents.

If you want to convert buildings into housing the high street and all the empty offices would be far more suitable long term.

Associate
I have wondered whether the country will be 're-balanced' with less pensioners after Covid-19. 100,000 excess deaths of pensioners * £150 a week * 52 = £780m a year saved (assuming they would have lived another year)

What a morbid thought

Caporegime
I have wondered whether the country will be 're-balanced' with less pensioners after Covid-19. 100,000 excess deaths of pensioners * £150 a week * 52 = £780m a year saved (assuming they would have lived another year)

What a morbid thought

It's not all pensioners that are dying.

Pensioners also tend to die naturally.

The real figure is far less plus it's not an absolute saving. For example Mary died of Covid at 90 years old. She would have died in a Covid free world at 91. So you managed to save a year's worth of pension. Not her pension for the rest of eternity.

Soldato

What a morbid thought

Also a significant saving in NHS spending, and possibly care spending.

Soldato

What a morbid thought

Doubt it, private companies will still find a way to make a profit from the remaining pensioners.

Associate
It's not all pensioners that are dying.

Pensioners also tend to die naturally.

The real figure is far less plus it's not an absolute saving. For example Mary died of Covid at 90 years old. She would have died in a Covid free world at 91. So you managed to save a year's worth of pension. Not her pension for the rest of eternity.

but that is what i mean. The majority of people dying will be above pensionable age (60 something ish at the moment). If they die 1 year before their 'natural' death age, that is a saving of £150*52 = £7800 for the government. If that scales to 100,000 early deaths, that is £780m. A morbid thought, but no doubt the government will be looking at this as it's an extra £780m to spend on the economy etc.

Soldato
Sounds harsh, but likely true.

With 100K + dying due to Covid, will this decrease UK rent prices in the coming year or two, due to spare capacity of rooms, houses etc?

I don't think you realise how big the UK population is. 100k deaths is 0.15% of the population.

The population level would need to drop considerably more for it to affect demand on rental properties.

Back
Top Bottom