• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3080 Owners Thread

Soldato
Ops I meant gpu timespy score of 17.1k. Yeah I checked timespy threat and most results there are 18-19.5k but they are surely overclocked and tuned.

Wanted to see if anybody else had ~17k timespy graphics score and whether they managed to fix it.

Ah GPU score mine is

Graphics Score 18118
thats with an undervolt no overclock

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/16845160

Stock my Graphics score is 17425 on the last run.

Associate
I had the same. Control is not optimised very well.

It was so loud!

I'd make a guess and say it's because Control is utilising everything the card has due to its specific ray tracing implementation. When I was undervolting my card I found that what I had thought was stable wasn't when playing Control. It's a good game for finding stability though, it crashes back to desktop very politely :D.

Associate
I'd make a guess and say it's because Control is utilising everything the card has due to its specific ray tracing implementation. When I was undervolting my card I found that what I had thought was stable wasn't when playing Control. It's a good game for finding stability though, it crashes back to desktop very politely :D.

Managed to undervolt and what was stable, crashed in Call of Duty. Which was very odd. Managed to tweak it and everything seems stable at a GPU score of 17,410. Never undervolted before and used to just run preset OC'd cards. So I'm sure there's probably more I can do to get that score up higher, but pretty pleased at the moment.

Pet Northerner
Don
Undervolt it !

seems fine to me my score is 16745 avg 1928mhz AVG 69C
thats with my undervolt. My stock score was lower.

Firestrike Extreme 20190

Have a look at the timespy thread too few 3080 results in there.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/29782421

my score even beats some 3090's!

Might try a bit of an overclock see what it does not actually pushed it just undervolted it and left it alone for now.

is there a go-to guide for this?

Coming from AMD, I used their own software to undervolt easily - I assume it's third party for nvidia?

Permabanned
Think I saw that, weren't they returns/ amazon warehouse deal?

£570 bag of cat food.

(Hope not)

Brand new, void stickers all intact, bona fide £570 3080 Bag of Cat food :D

PXL_20210123_104006698.jpg

I can't plug it in yet though, as I'm missing the extra 8 pin connector I need for my PSU ... So gotta wait till new case and psu arrive >_>

Soldato
is there a go-to guide for this?

Coming from AMD, I used their own software to undervolt easily - I assume it's third party for nvidia?

I followed one off reddit but basically.

Setup some kind of monitoring (I use Riva Tuner and Afterburner OSD) and run a game or a benchmark to note down your Wattage usage.

In Afterburner make sure everything is default.
Put -100 on the core clock (some say use -200 some say dont even bother changing it)
Press CTRL and F for the voltage curve.
Try starting on 875mv
Move the square dot that represents 875mv on the bottom axis up to around 1920mhz (this is what my card is stable at yours might take 1950mhz you test it later)
(you can use your mouse to move it then adjust using up/down keys for more precise movement)
You should now have a gentle line with a triangle peak in the middle.
Click the x top right
Click the tick to apply settings
Press CTRL and F and you will now see a steeper line that flattens out at your 1920mhz setting.
Click the x again. Remember to save/apply your settings at startup.

Now use a benchmark to check the wattage and see if the undervolt is stable. You should see the Watts drop lower than before and it should run the benchmark.
You can also run the Timespy stress test which is a good stable test.

If it is you can either leave it and enjoy the undervolt or reset the Afterburner settings and tinker some more. As an example I tested the above from 825mv to 900mv and
I found the lowest I can go is 850mv at 1920mhz which in a full load game drops my watts by about 50-75.

Other people might do it slightly different but just personally I do it this way. I also wacked on +500 on the memory too. Anymore and the card doesnt like it.

Soldato
I've been undervolting my 3080 while playing ac Valhalla and going from a stock of 320w 1960 clocks and 73c to 0.787 and 1770 clock with temps of 57C only drops 8fps and the card pulls just 175w.

Associate
I've been undervolting my 3080 while playing ac Valhalla and going from a stock of 320w 1960 clocks and 73c to 0.787 and 1770 clock with temps of 57C only drops 8fps and the card pulls just 175w.

Yeah, it's amazing how comparatively little performance it loses when dropping the power consumption so much.

Pet Northerner
Don
I followed one off reddit but basically.

Setup some kind of monitoring (I use Riva Tuner and Afterburner OSD) and run a game or a benchmark to note down your Wattage usage.

In Afterburner make sure everything is default.
Put -100 on the core clock (some say use -200 some say dont even bother changing it)
Press CTRL and F for the voltage curve.
Try starting on 875mv
Move the square dot that represents 875mv on the bottom axis up to around 1920mhz (this is what my card is stable at yours might take 1950mhz you test it later)
(you can use your mouse to move it then adjust using up/down keys for more precise movement)
You should now have a gentle line with a triangle peak in the middle.
Click the x top right
Click the tick to apply settings
Press CTRL and F and you will now see a steeper line that flattens out at your 1920mhz setting.
Click the x again. Remember to save/apply your settings at startup.

Now use a benchmark to check the wattage and see if the undervolt is stable. You should see the Watts drop lower than before and it should run the benchmark.
You can also run the Timespy stress test which is a good stable test.

If it is you can either leave it and enjoy the undervolt or reset the Afterburner settings and tinker some more. As an example I tested the above from 825mv to 900mv and
I found the lowest I can go is 850mv at 1920mhz which in a full load game drops my watts by about 50-75.

Other people might do it slightly different but just personally I do it this way. I also wacked on +500 on the memory too. Anymore and the card doesnt like it.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up, make a whole heap of sense and I'll give it a go :)

Soldato
@varkanoid and the others who undervolt, what kind of power draw are you seeing and at what resolution?

Balls to the wall 3440x1440 its still about 300w, is that right?
I may be wrong but I wouldn't expect the resolution to matter much, it depends on the mv curve you set. I'm seeing 245w max at 1830mhz @1440p down from 345w max at stock. On a game like Cyberpunk at stock I was ending up at 1860mhz anyway due to the heat RT gives off with fans like a hairdryer.

Soldato
It was around 275w at 1920mhz in a game like RDR2 which maxes out the card but there are games like World of Warships where it runs at 55% or so as its not a taxing GPU game and its like 108w. (I have my FPS set to 75 same as my monitor hz). Depends more on the game than the resolution.

Saying that I've dropped mine down to 825mv @ 1900mhz just to see whether it will reduce it anymore and I`m surprised its stable but not had chance to test a heavy load game.

Back
Top Bottom