Why can't professional footballers take corners?

Soldato
Title says it all really. So rarely do I see a corner nowadays that actually goes into the middle of the box, they always either hit the first man, go long or go straight down the keeper's throat!
How hard is it for someone who plays for a living to kick a ball in a certain spot with regularity?
Sure I don't expect a 100% record, maybe 75%? In reality I'd say it's probably more like 25% if that that go in a decent spot.

Just me that thinks this?

Caporegime
They aren't all aiming for the middle of the box.
They don't just want to loft it as it can make it pretty easy for the keeper/generally no power in it
They like to vary how its hit
They sometimes aim for the front post
They sometimes aim for the back post
They are Iago Aspas

Soldato
OP
They aren't all aiming for the middle of the box.
They don't just want to loft it as it can make it pretty easy for the keeper/generally no power in it
They like to vary how its hit
They sometimes aim for the front post
They sometimes aim for the back post
They are Iago Aspas

Ok perhaps I communicated it wrong. I agree that they'll try and vary the area they put it, however they don't manage this as like I say it either hits the first man or goes long.

Soldato
OP
Holy thread resurrection here! I just googled this having watched yet ANOTHER Arsenal corner fail to beat the first man and my own thread came up hah! Watched Chorley play yesterday, all their corners/free kicks were fantastic, right into the box, whereas Premier League players still can't do it? Maddening!

Man of Honour
Loosely related, I've often wondered why teams don't put a player on the far side of the penalty area. I've seen numerous corners overhit and go sailing out for a throw-in or otherwise lost possession. I know its' a bit of a 'waste' of a player positionally if the ball never gets that far, but you should be able to cope with 1 player out of position. Put the winger there or something.

Man of Honour
I've noticed this TBH - some teams can consistently take a good corner and turn it into threatening play no matter who they are up against (with the quality of the other team making the difference if they score or not) while other teams more often than not it all falls apart irrespective of the quality of the other team and it is pure lucky if they score from it.

Associate
As a Leeds fan I think Phillips is actively aiming for the first man. He has a 100% record at hitting whoever it may be.

The counterpart to this is I'm terrified whenever we concede a corner, or any set piece for that matter.

Soldato
forget about corners, the question to be asked is why professional football players can't take throw ins............

I have seen a number of foul throws called, Arsenal i am looking at you. This sort of thing only happened when you were 10 playing sunday football and didn't have enough upper body strength to throw the ball without lifting your feet or taking a mad run up and going over the line before throwing. Professionals should know better.

Soldato
It happens every game (throw ins), ref's just rarely give them.

I think with corners they are just trying to hit that sweet spot in terms of height and power rather than sticking it in the mixer.

Associate
Will be interesting to see what corners look like in the future when heading eventually banned.

The footballers could make good use of their diving capabilities to avoid the ball hitting their head or arms.

Back
Top Bottom