Phanteks P500A

Soldato
If "it might just fit", there may not be enough space between the fans and the side for them to actually get any air to push over your card. Vertical mounting is great for watercooled cards but often not so good for aircooled.

Yeah, the space between the side and the fans is likely to be more of an issue. I think you can open the side panel if needed. I would try it out and then see.

Associate
Can anyone who has the DRGB version say exactly what fans are included? I can't find anywhere that gives the exact part number...

They're just non-PWM 3-pin versions of the SK D-RGB PWM fans; they call them 'Case Edition Fans'. From everything I've found they're the same bearing etc. just not PWM presumably to save on costs.

Associate
So adding an extra fan for the rear is just buying another SK and wiring it into the controller?
There's no power/PWM Hub included with the P500 but the RGB can be daisy-chained off the existing RGB cables and into the case's RGB controller yes. You may need a splitter/hub to power the fan though.

Soldato
Just built in one of these moving a fully custom loop from a Fractal Design Define S. I also have a P300A and two P600S so definitely a Phanteks fanboy.

The internal chassis is fundamentally the same as a P600S. So loads of space front and top for radiators, wide so any tower cooler will fit, pre-designed for a vertical GPU.

Things the P500A Black does worse than the P600S Grey for £50 less:

• Right-hand side panel is fixed on the P500A and a swing door with magnets on the P600S
  • Top panel magnetic mesh on the P500A is flimsy and I suspect easily lost. The top panel on the P600S is very very good.
  • Top power switch on the P500A does not light up unlike the P600S and P300A.
  • No fan controller (unless you buy the DRGB variant)

Things it does better than the P600S

• Easily accessible front USB on the top of the case (P600S hides them behind a hinged door on the front)
  • Front panel is easily cleaned

In conclusion, the P500A Black is a superb case for the money. Now if only they would make the P600S but with the P500A mesh front.

Back
Top Bottom