I think i may have gone overboard a bit.

Associate
I bought an m.2 drive for the os, but i think i may have gone a bit overboard.

I bought the Samsung 980 Pro 1tb. Im now wondering if there may be a better use for this and to use some other drives for the os.

I have a Samsung 850 Evo 250gb and a Samsung 860 Evo 1tb

Is the 250gb large enough for, and not much slower (in real world terms) than the nvme to use that as the boot/os drive. And then to use the new m.2 nvem and the sata ssd for games storage?

My motherboard has gen 4 pcie so id be getting the most out of the m.2 nvme drive.

Thanks.

On another note, am i right in thinking SSDs have a limited life due to read/write limits? What should i look out for if one is starting to fail?

Thanks again
Brian.

Soldato
Your over thinking this. Use your nvne as you are. Any decent sata based ssd's are perfectly fine for games. The gains from going to nvme for games is minimal over a good m.2 or sata ssd.

Associate
Sata Samsung SSD's last years. I have one from about 5 years back. It is now in my two year old laptop, and marked as in good state, after many terabytes written to it.

I think the days of SSD drives, wearing out is over, you are more likely to upgrade to NVME than see your old SSD's fail. Unless you bought some really bad ones from about 10 years ago.

I just received my 870 Evo SSD today, so new versions continue to be made for now. The problem with NVME, is it is expensive for less, and you have fewer slots to put them in on normal boards. I have one NVME for now.

Back
Top Bottom