Mira Furlan - RIP

Soldato
Found out this morning that she passed away a couple of days ago - Wikipedia doesn't mention cause, only 65 years old.

Best remembered for her role as Delenn in Babylon 5 throughout the show's five year run, in fact fair to say she was Delenn.

RIP.

Man of Honour
Thats quite a few of the Babylon 5 cast gone now isnt it? I seem to recall that the doctor, Franklin, died very young and I think G'kar, Vir, Zack, Garibaldi, Sinclair. Sometimes I forget that the tv show is from a quarter of a century ago.

Soldato
OP
Thats quite a few of the Babylon 5 cast gone now isnt it? I seem to recall that the doctor, Franklin, died very young and I think G'kar, Vir, Zack, Garibaldi, Sinclair. Sometimes I forget that the tv show is from a quarter of a century ago.
Yes it does seem a bit jinxed and, indeed, scary to think how long ago the first season aired - 1994. However it's timeless sci-fi and unlike some other shows, still as compelling to watch now as it was then.

Associate
Sadly it's quicker to list the still standing B5 cast these days.

Damn, I never have and never will forget the breaking the Grey council speech.

Soldato
RIP. She was amazing as Delenn. There was something about her acting the really captured that human/Minbari hybrid thing perfectly.

I've been toying with the idea for a while of showing the wife B5 and I l think this has just set my mind on it.

Commissario
RIP Mira.

She absolutely nailed the role of Delenn, reading JMZ's tweet she was a very brave woman who saw a lot and toured doing performances during the civil war in Yugoslavia/Croatia and used that in her performance and Delenn.

Reading between the lines it sounds like it was probably cancer or something similar, 65 is not old these days :(

Soldato
OP
According to the BBC News she had been suffering from West Nile Virus.

Anyhow, going to put the Season 3 Episode "Severed Dreams" on shortly and raise a glass to toast...

Soldato
I didn't watch much of B5 as it took place during my college/uni days but I remember Delenn too well. She always looked like she enjoyed the role she played.
Watching her in that YouTube link above just surprised me at how bad some of the CGI looks today, man we're spoilt!

Man of Honour
I didn't watch much of B5 as it took place during my college/uni days but I remember Delenn too well. She always looked like she enjoyed the role she played.
Watching her in that YouTube link above just surprised me at how bad some of the CGI looks today, man we're spoilt!
It was groundbreaking at the time. They used the Video Toaster for CGI, which was basically Lightwave running on Amigas. It's that old. They invented the cosmic zoom where you start out in space at a distance and zoom through the window of the ship.

Back
Top Bottom