Will UK rent prices decrease due to all the deaths?

Associate
OP
most of those are likely trying to get on boats back to France now
I mean, they prob didn't realise what a ******** the UK is these days, now the smugglers are offering return trips

Soldato
Most of the people dying from covid would have died in the next few years (the average person dying from Covid in their mid eighties). So not only is 100,000 small % of the total population, the impact of the deaths on the size of the population and supply & demand for houses will have mostly reset itself within a few years anyway.

So no, I don't think there will be a noticable impact on rent prices.

Caporegime
but that is what i mean. The majority of people dying will be above pensionable age (60 something ish at the moment). If they die 1 year before their 'natural' death age, that is a saving of £150*52 = £7800 for the government. If that scales to 100,000 early deaths, that is £780m. A morbid thought, but no doubt the government will be looking at this as it's an extra £780m to spend on the economy etc.

You said £780m a year.

It's a one off £780m not per year.

So what you said is wrong. It's not going to be a saving they can rely on year in year out to do anything meaningful.

Caporegime
First I was rather intrigued by this and was going to type out a well thought out reply having some rather interesting thoughts on the matter until I saw that the OP is "Mr Incel" himself.

What a waste.

Hopefully someone intelligent will come up with a thread like this so we can have a discussion about it.

Caporegime
Might have some effect, dampening any rise or adding to any fall, it's not going to be huge by itself mind...

I mean for an old couple living together in a family home I guess if one of them dies then that might just mean that a widow loses her husband a few years earlier than expected but carries on living there. Perhaps it could prompt a move to a retirement community in some cases thus freeing up a family house to the market.

In cases where there is only one parent/grandparent etc.. left then I guess it does bring forward some wealth transfers to millennials etc.. that might mean someone inherits an entire house but could also mean siblings inherit a share of a house they then need to sell and I guess the impact of that depends on whether they already own property.

Soldato
What you will see is a decrease in rent prices in big cities and an increase in the suburbs and countryside. There has been a measurable flight of people leaving the city when they are able to work from home, not being trapped in small apartments.

Caporegime
What you will see is a decrease in rent prices in big cities and an increase in the suburbs and countryside. There has been a measurable flight of people leaving the city when they are able to work from home, not being trapped in small apartments.

Doubt it.

The number of people thinking I no longer need to live here and would rather live in the countryside has got to be a small minority.

I mean who is going to sell up and move everything just because of a temporary WFH arrangement. No company has said that it's a permanent arrangement it's only until things settle.

Soldato
I can see some employers saving a huge amount in overheads by moving to smaller office premises outside of large cities and having remote working staff only attend weekly project/progress meetings in person.

Caporegime
I can see some employers saving a huge amount in overheads by moving to smaller office premises outside of large cities and having remote working staff only attend weekly project/progress meetings in person.

How does that work for folk living at the other side of the city who's commute has now tripled in time and costs?

Offices are central for a reason

Capodecina
Soldato
If you check the characteristics of the people who are dying - typically elderly and/or unhealthy, I doubt that you will find many who are "renting".

It may be however that more property will come on the market, reducing sale prices and reviving the Buy-to-Let market.

Back to the OP's question.

My suspicion is that the excess houses from the dead will be bought up by buy-to-let landlords. Or even worse, buy-to-leave landlords / investors. This is where they buy the houses/apartments but don't actually use or rent them out, leaving them empty. The sheer volume creates an ongoing shortage of properties, making them go up in value and making the market for first-time buyers less accessible.

Soldato
How does that work for folk living at the other side of the city who's commute has now tripled in time and costs?

Offices are central for a reason

In my experience, the office with be moved to where it’s cheaper without inconveniencing the senior management. The rest of the employees will be offered a pittance to offset the travel costs and told to “suck it up”.

Caporegime
In my experience, the office with be moved to where it’s cheaper without inconveniencing the senior management. The rest of the employees will be offered a pittance to offset the travel costs and told to “suck it up”.

So do all of the senior management live on the same street?

I don't see why they wouldn't be spread around too.

Soldato
Doubt it.

The number of people thinking I no longer need to live here and would rather live in the countryside has got to be a small minority.

I mean who is going to sell up and move everything just because of a temporary WFH arrangement. No company has said that it's a permanent arrangement it's only until things settle.
I know a handful from my firm who have done this. Our firm is gearing up for it becoming the norm. One chap even moved to France.

Soldato
only person I know who's considering moving is from a flat in the city centre to the outskirts so they can have a garden....think that's more likely than people moving to the countryside, lots of people want to live in cities/near cities for reasons other than work

Back
Top Bottom