Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
wow you must have a big shed.....my garage will just about fit at roughly 14ft.

10'6 x 30 for 3 years so definite fancy the challenge of the 14 ft. Was set on the 27" elite sport but with no rear bungee for 2021 (prefer a factory fit) am considering the 30" elite touring. Am thinking the added stability of 30" will mean can also use year round.....likely would avoid the 27 during the winter as higher risk of falling in. Am only 70kg do you think the 14x30 would suit? the 2021 is only 10kg so thinking with the 14ft length should be a good speed improvement over my existing board noticed appears to have the same pin tail design as the s and r.

The shed is 14x8 so with it at an angle it just about fits. The criteria when buying this house was for a garage but I accepted this one with the shed. Though I need to fit a new roof in the summer and sort a few things out as it’s leaking like mad.

I have the 27” board and to be honest it’s more stable than I expected and I’m around 97kg. If you’re just on canals/rivers then I’d be tempted by it. It’s hard to say how the glide would be vs the 30” though. Ultimately it’s still going to be a lot better than your board though.

Associate
Still waiting to hear about my gladiator board
yes keep us updated

The shed is 14x8 so with it at an angle it just about fits. The criteria when buying this house was for a garage but I accepted this one with the shed. Though I need to fit a new roof in the summer and sort a few things out as it’s leaking like mad.

I have the 27” board and to be honest it’s more stable than I expected and I’m around 97kg. If you’re just on canals/rivers then I’d be tempted by it. It’s hard to say how the glide would be vs the 30” though. Ultimately it’s still going to be a lot better than your board though.

Thanks Martyn appreciate the advice on the 27S certainly tempted. Had a good chat with supinflatables both are in stock. Lady owner has similar dimensions to me & has the 30T as her own board & says the glide is really good & of course excellent stability...should see a vast improvement in performance over my current board. With no rear bungee on the 27 am really erring towards the 30" board. Of course the 27 will be the faster board but generally I mostly cruising (at good speed) & enjoying the scenery rather than racing...though reckon should see a significant speed increase over my 10'6 x 30. Have had the tape measure just to check the dimensions for the garage..all good. Am thinking the 14' length alone should be enough of a challenge for me on the canal.

Last edited:
Associate
....One concern with the 30T is Touring board is how it will sit in the water for me (displacement?) ie designed to carry extra load i.e camping eqpt...with me being less than 70kg am thinking this would mean the board sits highin the water cant see any published litre figures for gladiator. Am thinking this would be less of an issue with the 27 as lower air capacity?

Soldato
No worries at all!

I wouldn't say it required constant paddling, but i think due to my weight it certainly bogs down a little more than it will do for you. I certainly don't race with it and just tend to leisurely cruise along. You will notice a big improvement in the move up to 14' more than anything, especially it's ability to go straight. One of the hardest parts is turning round on a canal as they can be narrow at times!

You seem quite fixed on rear bungees, what do you tend to carry? Are you planning on some longer trips where you'll have camping equipment etc? I find i don't really use the rear bungees, but then at the same time i very rarely carry stuff on my board. I might have some flip flips and a bottle for drinking, but that's around it. My car keys i try and palm off on my mate who takes a proper dry bag, otherwise i just stick them in a pocket as i'm unlikely to fall in.

I recall when i bought mine they were willing to let me try the 27" version and then swap for the 30" if i decided it was too unstable. Could always maybe ask if they'd be willing to try that? It was back when Gary at Sup Inflatables wanted a 27" demo board though so it might not be an option for them anymore.

Man of Honour
....One concern with the 30T is Touring board is how it will sit in the water for me (displacement?) ie designed to carry extra load i.e camping eqpt...with me being less than 70kg am thinking this would mean the board sits highin the water cant see any published litre figures for gladiator. Am thinking this would be less of an issue with the 27 as lower air capacity?

Go narrower at 70kg surely

How often are you going to use a second bugee? Board will be faster every time you ride. a couple of times a year you may think it would be nice to have a second tie down

Associate
No worries at all!

I wouldn't say it required constant paddling, but i think due to my weight it certainly bogs down a little more than it will do for you. I certainly don't race with it and just tend to leisurely cruise along. You will notice a big improvement in the move up to 14' more than anything, especially it's ability to go straight. One of the hardest parts is turning round on a canal as they can be narrow at times!

You seem quite fixed on rear bungees, what do you tend to carry? Are you planning on some longer trips where you'll have camping equipment etc? I find i don't really use the rear bungees, but then at the same time i very rarely carry stuff on my board. I might have some flip flips and a bottle for drinking, but that's around it. My car keys i try and palm off on my mate who takes a proper dry bag, otherwise i just stick them in a pocket as i'm unlikely to fall in.

I recall when i bought mine they were willing to let me try the 27" version and then swap for the 30" if i decided it was too unstable. Could always maybe ask if they'd be willing to try that? It was back when Gary at Sup Inflatables wanted a 27" demo board though so it might not be an option for them anymore.

Go narrower at 70kg surely

How often are you going to use a second bugee? Board will be faster every time you ride. a couple of times a year you may think it would be nice to have a second tie down

Thanks guys really appreciate your advice on this

Thanks Martyn that's some great advice on how it performs in the water. I think the construction makes them possibly more stable than some of the other 14' boards which can be a bit twitchy. Have never fallen off on my 30" board in 3 years hence was keen to consider shorter width .

I don't carry much for my 3 to 4 hour trips (coffee flask/ water/ energy bars various extra layers...packed lunch & swimming trunks on the longer summer trips:) I use a medium size dry bag and just prefer the orientation of using the rear bungee...Should be able to adapt to the front bungee/ backpack/ bumbag etc.

Skidder Just weighed myself am in fact nearer 65kg!

Update: Ordered the 14 x 27 ...reason for the flurry of question is noticed Gladiator have recently added 5% to prices and there was one left in stock... still at the old pricing. Should be with me tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
Excellent choice. I don't think you'd be disappointed. I would expect the paddle/pump to be a marked improvement too. I still can't get over how good the pump is compared to the standard HP2 style ones most brands supply.

Yes look forward to trying out the package extras. Sold my last pump (do have electric) though my board stays inflated 95% of the time) Already have carbon 2 piece paddle but will certainly give this one a trial. Will quite likely sell off the accessories in the summer to recoup some cost.

Just paid for my board. Should be with me next week!
great news

Conditions looking good for a paddle tomorrow river levels have dropped, wind speed dropped....possible sun. Chilly mind

b7Kchf9

Last edited:
Soldato
Similar to your plans I also sold the paddle. From memory I think I got around £100 for it. It cost me a small fortune though as I had a Starboard Carbon Hybrid 3 piece and yet the Gladiator carbon one was so light it made me want a better full carbon.

I also have an electric pump. But the Gladiator one pumps it up in around 5.5 minutes so it’s much faster.

Associate
New boards all round them!

I’m jealous!

...with all these new Gladiator boards think they owe you some commission :)
Similar to your plans I also sold the paddle. From memory I think I got around £100 for it. It cost me a small fortune though as I had a Starboard Carbon Hybrid 3 piece and yet the Gladiator carbon one was so light it made me want a better full carbon.

I also have an electric pump. But the Gladiator one pumps it up in around 5.5 minutes so it’s much faster.

Wow that is impressive time my 12v electic pump takes ages...though not as long as my bicycle track pump!:p

Man of Honour
Good choice

rear bungees should only really be used when you have a tonne of stuff for overnights or similar and front is full cos they invariably get in the way for step backs

Associate
Weathers not ideal for getting out. I wanted an early paddle today but had really heavy rain which wasn’t forecast. Then it started snowing which I thought would be pleasant to paddle in but then that turned to sleet. it’s now sunny but I don’t trust it enough not to change!

Sorry you did not manage to get out Martyn :(was fortunate conditions wise to get out yesterday morning on the 10ft board some issues getting home due to low river levels at a certain weir. Otherwise nice sunny & still conditions.

Last edited:
Associate
Hope you’re both happy with your boards @MM-Seat @ThriceNightly

Unboxed and pumped up the gladiator today. Really nice piece of kit & v pleased with the dimensions

Weighs only 8.9kg! ..think due to the new x weave construct.

Surprised to find 14FT will fit ok on my staircase (maisonette/ access issues at front door) Will eventually be stored in garage once cleared space + sort dust cover/storage straps etc.

Also chuffed to find after agonizing between the 30 tourer that it does in fact come complete with factory fit rear bungee:)

Not tried out on water yet though to get it to ground floor I did "launch" it out lounge sash window after pumping up (took the opportunity when neighbour went out :p)

Last edited:
Soldato
Great stuff. Did find it odd that they’d have removed the rear bungee.

The only thing I’d suggest would be to try and re-tie the front bungeee as I find them a little slack and I find flasks etc slide out easily which they don’t do on my other boards.

Went for the canal again but it was frozen :(

Back
Top Bottom