Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Associate
Sounds daft but I’m drawn to the Touch Bar, feels futuristic even though i know how limited and annoying some people find it, plus abit of extra batter life doesn’t hurt, and never really liked the wedge design of the Air, horses for courses eh.

Considered the base 256gb 8gb Pro last night, and even put an order in with John Lewis although cancelled it lol, had MacBooks before but sold my last one to get this iPad, so I just fancied a change with all the talk of these M1 chips and how fast / efficient they are.

Associate
Sounds daft but I’m drawn to the Touch Bar, feels futuristic even though i know how limited and annoying some people find it, plus abit of extra batter life doesn’t hurt, and never really liked the wedge design of the Air, horses for courses eh.

You need the extra battery life to power the touch bar XD.
I prefer the shape of the pro too and the extra cooling is nice, but last time i had one I'd constantly press the touch bar by accident and could barely make out the images in direct sunlight. Total failure imo

Associate
Yeah I'd avoid currys unless buying Apple, even then I'd get it confirmed that Apple will deal with the warranty instead of currys first.
If the next reiterating of MacBook supports external gpu i might actually sell my gaming pc

Associate
Received my MacBook Pro yesterday and put it straight on charge, took it off charge at 18:15 and used it until 22:30 then put it to sleep in its sleeve, used it all day today from 07:30 mixture of slack, google chrome and safari, also messed about with a few IOS apps, and its still at 63% battery I've never known anything like it.

Soldato
Got my Air yesterday, really impressed with it so far. There's a video streaming app I use at work that runs in Chrome, on my old Lenovo ThinkPad with a i7 7(something) it was maxing out the CPU, on the Mac, it uses about 10% leaving it free to do anything else I can throw it.

Soldato
6 monthly refresh cycle?

A series chips have at best been on an annual cycle but only in phones. Tablets were always longer, skipping a number of chips available.

Anything with intel in it was longer, much longer. I doubt we will get a refreshed air any time soon, the current design is only a couple of years old. MBP sure but I doubt the air will be moving to 14”, especially since there is so little to differentiate the two now.

Soldato
I'm sure they have a very minimal 6month spec bump on most of their laptops/macs?

Nope, see above and that isn’t typical for a Mac product. The air has been updated more frequently than most in recent times. Have a look at something like the Mini, iMac and Mac Pro for example.

Apple only updates after intel refreshes their line up and a lot of the time not even then. Intel refreshes at the earliest after a year but it’s normally a lot longer with very little in the way of performance gains.

Associate
Nope, see above and that isn’t typical for a Mac product. The air has been updated more frequently than most in recent times. Have a look at something like the Mini, iMac and Mac Pro for example.

Apple only updates after intel refreshes their line up and a lot of the time not even then. Intel refreshes at the earliest after a year but it’s normally a lot longer with very little in the way of performance gains.
Makes you wonder how the refresh cycle will be with more Macs on Apple silicon. Typical 2 year refresh would be decent

Back
Top Bottom