Nvidia 30X0 series waterblocks

Associate
Separately quick one but how did you get such a quick response from EK support, was it through their ticket system, still waiting for them to come back to me on my order!

Yes, I just created a ticket once logged into my account. I was surprised how quickly they responded to be honest - maybe having 'Tax' in the subject filters it to a different team whereas 'order enquiry' is probably the subject of loads of queries.

In my experience, the longest I have had to wait for a response from them is maybe 3-4 days.

I have an open technical question with them since Wednesday night that they have not responded to yet.

Soldato
Fair enough hopefully hear back soon.
Yes, I just created a ticket once logged into my account. I was surprised how quickly they responded to be honest - maybe having 'Tax' in the subject filters it to a different team whereas 'order enquiry' is probably the subject of loads of queries.

In my experience, the longest I have had to wait for a response from them is maybe 3-4 days.

I have an open technical question with them since Wednesday night that they have not responded to yet.

Soldato
I am a bit disappointed they didn’t implement a fully active solution to be honest, especially as this is their flagship model. Though, I wouldn’t have even paid attention to it had they not announced active blocks for reference and Strix designs. After seeing it can be done, I feel a little cheated I guess!

With the stock configuration, I cannot push memory overclock over 1100 without instability and GPU-Z shows PerfCapreason as Thermal at pretty much anything other than stock memory configuration. Card temp never gets above 51 - even while mining - though admittedly in that scenario I have reduced the clocks and power limit - so since there is no available temperature information for the memory, I assume that is the bottleneck.

Cooling the memory on the back of the PCB is essential so anything that helps, hybrid or active is welcome.

I am fine with this approach, maybe selfishly as an active backplate for my case would make things too thick. As long as I get a reasonable OC on the memory its fine. Even if it knocks 10 degrees of the current memory temps is fine.

Tbh 1100 Mhz is pretty high anyways, I doubt you would be able to massively push higher. Not see too many people go much beyond +1100 on the memory.

Associate
I am fine with this approach, maybe selfishly as an active backplate for my case would make things too thick. As long as I get a reasonable OC on the memory its fine. Even if it knocks 10 degrees of the current memory temps is fine.

Tbh 1100 Mhz is pretty high anyways, I doubt you would be able to massively push higher. Not see too many people go much beyond +1100 on the memory.

I was trying to push more as I read of someone hitting 1200 (maybe even higher) for mining so when I wasn’t getting that high it was a little discouraging. I’m happy with how my card is performing though, it is a beast in games and video work.

Soldato
Is an HK block going to be worth the comensurate price increase performance wise over EK/Alphacool offerings?

If not I may try alphacool this time round.

Soldato
Is an HK block going to be worth the comensurate price increase performance wise over EK/Alphacool offerings?

If not I may try alphacool this time round.

Personally from what I have seen not really. Unless the block is absolute garbage, which neither EK, Alphacool or HK really put out then your likely talking on the order of a couple of degrees delta from what I have seen.

Soldato
My watercool heatkiller V block has landed in the UK, however got slapped with a £50 duty and tax fee! What was a reasonable £220 inc delivery is now upto £270 :o. Thought i'd manage to skip the changes in the European law buying it before the new year but alas it didn't ship till the 19th of January :(.

Soldato
Personally from what I have seen not really. Unless the block is absolute garbage, which neither EK, Alphacool or HK really put out then your likely talking on the order of a couple of degrees delta from what I have seen.
HK is bringing out a active cooled backplate at some point, they emailed me regarding it but it won't be till well after the EVGA blocks have dropped so could be looking at March/April or even later!

Soldato
OP
My watercool heatkiller V block has landed in the UK, however got slapped with a £50 duty and tax fee! What was a reasonable £220 inc delivery is now upto £270 :o. Thought i'd manage to skip the changes in the European law buying it before the new year but alas it didn't ship till the 19th of January :(.

That’s insane, I feel like being into watercooling and PCs is about to get a lot more expensive. :(

Soldato
That’s insane, I feel like being into watercooling and PCs is about to get a lot more expensive. :(
It definitely will be, don't bother ordering from outside the UK. You'll be paying through the rough for what is already expensive products. Will have to see what the UK can do in terms of getting in new technology... but judging by how 3000 series cards have been and other products at launch.. not very well! Seems we're at the bottom of every wholesalers list in terms of supply, im worried that scalped prices will become the norm here in the UK as majority of stock will be bought by them.. the ones that know how to use bots etc.

I hope im wrong.

Soldato
Hot damn HK import duty?!

Right I cba anymore just going to go EK, AGAIN.

Price of this GPU makes me too nervous to get a bykski though I'm sure would be fine.

Soldato
Hot damn HK import duty?!

Right I cba anymore just going to go EK, AGAIN.

Price of this GPU makes me too nervous to get a bykski though I'm sure would be fine.
Yup, hurts like a mother especially when i had that money aside for a new cpu block since mine leaked lol. As rubbish as it is, i just want the block now in my hands... the wait is killing me.

Bykski is okay, nothing special if im honest. They're abit like Alphacool with all that acrylic going on.

I do wonder how long it will take OCUk to get hold of stuff like this now and at what price, makes me nervous too.

Associate

Did you pay VAT twice then?

Soldato
Did you pay VAT twice then?
I believe its an import charge but when you click on the link to pay its not clear other than being Duty and Tax Fees. It would suggest so though...

I paid VAT already on it back in December at checkout, not sure whether its related or the same thing again?

Associate
I believe its an import charge but when you click on the link to pay its not clear other than being Duty and Tax Fees. It would suggest so though...

I paid VAT already on it back in December at checkout, not sure whether its related or the same thing again?

As I understand it, if it's under £135 and outside the UK then you pay VAT to the retailer (which is why a lot of small businesses aren't shipping small orders to the UK, it's extra work for them) but if it's over then you're supposed to pay at the point of import.

Paying for VAT twice is clearly wrong but how you go about fixing that I don't know.

Soldato
As I understand it, if it's under £135 and outside the UK then you pay VAT to the retailer (which is why a lot of small businesses aren't shipping small orders to the UK, it's extra work for them) but if it's over then you're supposed to pay at the point of import.

Paying for VAT twice is clearly wrong but how you go about fixing that I don't know.
Yeah i thought this too but not sure if its complicated things for me since i ordered it before the 1st January but it wasn't shipped till after. I can't even remember if i paid VAT at checkout then either, will have to have a look at the invoice again to see. Be abit boned if i did...

Doesn't help though as i never received a receipt for the duty and fees payment for FEDEX, only a transaction ID.

Edit: Just checked, i paid 16% vat at checkout. Total bill was 209.85 Euro inc delivery.

Seems i may have paid VAT twice then IF the bill i paid for FEDEX was VAT and not just duty charges?

I've emailed FEDEX customer services to see if i can get a reply on exactly what i paid for in that £50 of charges.

Last edited:
Associate
Reading the last few posts, is it possible that I will end up paying vat twice on the 3090fe block from EK? Once at checkout and again when it is delivered?

Soldato
Reading the last few posts, is it possible that I will end up paying vat twice on the 3090fe block from EK? Once at checkout and again when it is delivered?
We're not sure yet

I'm not sure if what i paid to FEDEX was just custom charges etc but with the way things work now its not even clear how things should be charged. I'm waiting to hear back from FEDEX about the charges i paid, will update when i know more.

Soldato
Looking through FEDEX's site it says:

"What is Duty and Tax?
Customs Duty is a tax charged on all products shipped from outside of the EU. Controlled by HM Revenue and Customs, the purpose of Duty is to bring the cost of imported goods up to the same cost as those produced within the EU to keep competition fair.

Who has to pay?

The person or business receiving the shipment is legally obliged to pay Duty unless the sender has agreed to accept these charges in the contract of sale.

What is the clearance administration charge?

FedEx pays the Duty and Tax charges on your behalf to ensure we can deliver your shipment as quickly as possible. This incurs an administration fee of 2.5% of the combined Duty and VAT charge or £12.00 (whichever is greater).

I purchased my goods online
The prices advertised on websites outside of the EU often do not include UK Duty. This can make products appear cheaper when compared to the UK prices. For more information and advice visit http://www.gov.uk/consumer-protection-rights"

So it seems its nothing more than just UK Duty which we've had to pay before unless the seller marks it down as otherwise or they pay it.

I can't even check on aquacomputer or watercool's website as delivery to uk is not available....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom