• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Barometer - 2020

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all your replies folks. Sorry it's taken so long, but can now reveal the replies!

In total we had 146 respondents - thanks for everyone who filled it in.

Out of 146, 128 participants had tried to buy a GPU in 2020, the following results are based only on those 128 participants.

Nic3VGT.png

I1iN40R.png

Sb2pQ88.png

7YoQsYF.png

65kqoJr.png

Sb2pQ88.png

The majority of users, expect cards in the £600-800 range

T25MkMx.png

bQYlVaD.png

There was a slight shift in sentiment, but nothing major

EAgCH26.png

Thanks again! Be interesting if these surprise anyone?

Caporegime
I find the "how much is too much" type questions quite difficult to answer.

Consoles are simply not for me, so the question really boils down to "can I justify continuing with this hobby, or should I quit it altogether". Hard to put a monetary value on that.

The cost of enthusiast gpus right now is abhorrent, no doubt about that. But the reality is that if I can afford it I will probably continue to bend over and take it.

Another thing to consider is that long term, it's probably over. PC gaming has always been a niche, so the associated costs are high, and as the costs get higher the niche gets smaller until there is no justification for developers to make PC games anymore. CP2077 is a good example of a game that was clearly designed for high end PC hardware, but PC sales alone would never have broken even on it's development costs, hence its widespread release on all the consoles that ultimately can't run it. I don't know how many more games like that we will see.

AMD/NV/Intel don't care if pc gaming goes the way of the dodo, it's a small portion of their revenue. Partner brands have a lot more to lose, and I'm sure are all very aware of how tenuous their situation is.
This.

It's not a question as to if but when I finally say goodbye to pc gaming, won't be for a good 2-3 years though.

Associate
Thanks for the results. I think if i remember rightly i sit in the majority for many of the views it looks like. Results don't appear to be massively one sided so no surprises there.

I think many are happy to wait a bit. Come next winter if things haven't improved it'll probably be quite different. PCs deliver a hobby, productivity etc, and also gaming. Even at lower end, gaming is still great thanks to mods.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the results. I think if i remember rightly i sit in the majority for many of the views it looks like. Results don't appear to be massively one sided so no surprises there.

I think many are happy to wait a bit. Come next winter if things haven't improved it'll probably be quite different. PCs deliver a hobby, productivity etc, and also gaming. Even at lower end, gaming is still great thanks to mods.

Yeah for me it was nice to see the upgrade timelines for people. My own is 5-8 years so good to see that a fair number also have that.

I also think forcing people to shop elsewhere is more interesting, it's definitely changed my habits probably indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom