What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Haven't posted here for ages! Here are a bunch I watched recently

Solaris (2002) - 5/10

Apparently the Tarkovsky version is better, maybe I'll watch that one day

Starship Troopers (1997) - 8.5/10

Great fun start to finish, surprisingly good effects, would watch again

One cut of the dead (2017) - 4/10

Would have been a good low budget zombie flick if it was just the first half of the film, as a short. But the second half was just awful.

Promare (2017) - 7/10

Excellent animation, lots of fun, would work well as a family watch

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - 9/10

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. great acting, tight script, excellently shot. Hard to find fault

The Hill (1965) - 8/10

Watched this with zero knowledge or expectations, came away very impressed. Great performances all around, especially Sean Connery and Harry Andrews. Really bought the idea that these were military personnel and not just actors

Soldato
One cut of the dead (2017) - 4/10

Would have been a good low budget zombie flick if it was just the first half of the film, as a short. But the second half was just awful.

Interesting you say that, the first 30 mins was pretty bad for me. Switched it off initially and had to watch it in 2 sittings. Synopsis is misleading, it's not a zombie movie but a comedy about film making which only gets interesting after the first act for me

Soldato
Solo (Star Wars) - 6.5/10

I don’t see what all the fuss was about, it’s not that bad. I’d say it’s better than the new trilogy but not as good as Rogue One. I didn’t really think of the main guy as Han as he wasn’t particularly great, but I liked Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover and Chewie at least!

Man of Honour
Solo (Star Wars) - 6.5/10

I don’t see what all the fuss was about, it’s not that bad. I’d say it’s better than the new trilogy but not as good as Rogue One. I didn’t really think of the main guy as Han as he wasn’t particularly great, but I liked Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover and Chewie at least!
Yeah it wasn’t that bad other than the insufferable robot.

Associate
Yeah that was good, but that was like 1% of the film. The characters were all forgettable apart from the droid. I only remember Andor now because they've named a TV show after him.

The nostalgia bits at the end were great, everything else was pretty bland.

The CGI for Tarkin was well done I thought as well, seen a lot worse.

Soldato
Rogue One is overrated, IMO. The Vader scene is amazing, Galen's sabotage of DS1 is cool and the battle of Scarif looks great. The rest is weak though. Jyn is particular is just so dull. She is a totally personality vacuum. It shows you something when both the leads (Jyn and Andor) are totally overshadowed by...well, everyone else. The two warrior monks, K2SO and even some of the aliens who just pass through for the odd scene.

Soldato
La La Land 10/10

Finally got around to seeing it before it expired on iplayer. Just fantastic. I watched it twice through. I'm in love with Emma Stone. Beautiful woman, best smile ever and exceptional actress. And Ryan Gosling was the perfect male leading role and a really talented pianist.

Soldato
Drive - I'd never have watched this had it not been for an article I read about how badly the film had been misrepresented during its promotion. Very enjoyable. Highly recommended. 8/10.

Soldato
Drive - I'd never have watched this had it not been for an article I read about how badly the film had been misrepresented during its promotion. Very enjoyable. Highly recommended. 8/10.
I watched Drive a couple of years ago having never even heard of it - just picked it out fairly randomly on Prime IIRC. Excellent isn't it?

I do like a good Neo Noir.

Associate
Synchronic - 6/10

I quite liked the concept but it wasn't explored anywhere near enough. It felt like it was trying to be a lot cleverer than it was.

I generally dislike Anthony Mackie, but he was ok in this.

Back
Top Bottom