Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
Just started playing this its taken an age to get through the beginning Chapter. For some reason my horse is following me everywhere. Just got to Valentine on the wagon did the first few bits then chased the guy out of town to the cliff edge. Just talking to him and my wacko horse comes running up from miles away and runs into me and pushes me off the cliff !

Not sure whether I like it yet seems to be really slow just going from A to B. Going to stick with it a bit longer.

Associate
Just started playing this its taken an age to get through the beginning Chapter. For some reason my horse is following me everywhere. Just got to Valentine on the wagon did the first few bits then chased the guy out of town to the cliff edge. Just talking to him and my wacko horse comes running up from miles away and runs into me and pushes me off the cliff !

Not sure whether I like it yet seems to be really slow just going from A to B. Going to stick with it a bit longer.

Yeah chapter 2 is where it really gets going.

You can dismiss your horse hold L2 if on controller should be a dismiss option.

Horse should only come if you whistle it though maybe you did that by mistake (UP on dpad).

Soldato
Yeah chapter 2 is where it really gets going.

You can dismiss your horse hold L2 if on controller should be a dismiss option.

Horse should only come if you whistle it though maybe you did that by mistake (UP on dpad).

Sorry I use a PC and mouse/keyboard not this thing called a controller. Press H for the horse. I dont have to it follows me everywhere even followed me when doing the train robbery ran behind the train. :D

Soldato
Well I`m really disappointed with this game. I've delayed playing it to get the bugs out like I often do and I just dont get what all the fuss is about. I find the interface for your items and weapons really bad. Other games do it better, eg Borderlands, Far Cry. Rejoined the game after my daft horse pushed me off the cliff and its put me right back at camp before the Valentine mission. Also my horse has changed gone has the beautiful white and brown one to be replaced by a plain brown one which doesnt follow me anymore. All my items stored on the horse have gone too. Even though my original horse was weird and followed me I missed it as I was growing attached to it. Also the rear up perk that I got during the earlier Chapter has gone too with this new horse.

So I decided to find the Reverend instead of go to Valentine. Followed the trail, shot a couple of Driscolls under a tree. Then I heard a train coming so I went to watch it go by, suddenly this guy on a horse comes past and just stops on the train track. Train comes expecting a massive splat but the train kept on going with the guy on the horse pushed along at the front of the train unharmed !

Anyway went over to where the Reverend was. Played poker which was way too easy to win. Then was told where Reverend was so went round back of rail shack. He was being beaten up by this guy. So instead of taking him on I just shot him in the head. Guy near two goats (?) starts shouting he is a witness so I shot him in the head. Then I get this wanted message and two gunfighters just appear in front of me like Mr Ben as if by magic. So I shot them. Then went over to Reverend. However I still have a wanted level - which is curious seeing as I shot the witness and the two gunslingers so no one would know but me and the Reverend. Just reminds me of GTA V too much.

I was expecting this to be more polished and slick so I think I will leave it for a while as like I said I find it disappointing.

Associate
...snip...

It might might not be your thing and fair enough.
But before you give up on it, if you haven't already, I'd suggest: -

- forget the main quest line
- if not already, do the first hunting side quest, then try a bit of freelance hunting
- go into a law office and try a wanted poster side mission
- spend a sesion just riding out to the far corners and edges of the map to see the diverse landscape, some of it is just stunning
- have a quick trip around the BIG city

And then put it down if you've not got into it.

Soldato
IMO, the game is VERY polished by today's standards and has the most realistic world this gen and loads of details so maybe it's just not for you.

It's easy to get lost in the world, hunt, find interesting places, upgrade stuff, fill out the compendium, do the optional interactions at the camp. Yes, the inventory is indeed clunky and the game is on the slower side but that's all.

THIS is what all the fuss is about, and that's only a fraction of the details besides the story and characters and the stuff you can find and do:

There are entire videos on YT about, frankly, mind-boggling level of detail, the interactions with NPCs and even a three-part video on incredible animal behaviour. Really hammers the point home when compared to something like recently released Cyberpunk. I've already said it somewhere but it's the only game this gen where I genuinely have trouble enumerating all the details I've seen.

You're at the point of the game when you haven't even scratched the story or the world, if it doesn't grip you, just leave it. This game rides on atmosphere, details and the story mixed with shootouts, hunting, side stuff and being a cowboy, if that doesn't float your boat then it'll be a waste of time.

Caporegime
Yup it is probably the most well polished game out still. The attention to detail is incredible!

Considering the graphics and vast open world, even in st dennis town, the performance is excellent

Soldato
IMO, the game is VERY polished by today's standards and has the most realistic world this gen and loads of details so maybe it's just not for you.

It's easy to get lost in the world, hunt, find interesting places, upgrade stuff, fill out the compendium, do the optional interactions at the camp. Yes, the inventory is indeed clunky and the game is on the slower side but that's all.

THIS is what all the fuss is about, and that's only a fraction of the details besides the story and characters and the stuff you can find and do:

There are entire videos on YT about, frankly, mind-boggling level of detail, the interactions with NPCs and even a three-part video on incredible animal behaviour. Really hammers the point home when compared to something like recently released Cyberpunk. I've already said it somewhere but it's the only game this gen where I genuinely have trouble enumerating all the details I've seen.

You're at the point of the game when you haven't even scratched the story or the world, if it doesn't grip you, just leave it. This game rides on atmosphere, details and the story mixed with shootouts, hunting, side stuff and being a cowboy, if that doesn't float your boat then it'll be a waste of time.

Think I will leave it for now its just not doing it for me. What is really annoying is I do stuff come out the game, go back and what I've done or collected has disappeared. So for instance I went back into the game and the reverend bit has not saved and its as though I've not done it. So I did it again then went off looking at stuff and had a few adventures. Left the game, came back and the reverend bit is again still as though I didnt do it. So this immediately puts me off doing stuff with the game as one thing I hate is going through a certain mission or doing a certain thing that took a lot of doing only for it to be right back at the beginning again. Also noticed a few bugs too like a deer stuck halfway in a tree. I shot a bunny rabbit and the dead carcas was a buffalo which it then let me skin.

So think I might leave it for later in the year.

Soldato
The game is VERY polished by today's standards
Think I will leave it for now its just not doing it for me. What is really annoying is I do stuff come out the game, go back and what I've done or collected has disappeared. So for instance I went back into the game and the reverend bit has not saved and its as though I've not done it. So I did it again then went off looking at stuff and had a few adventures. Left the game, came back and the reverend bit is again still as though I didnt do it. So this immediately puts me off doing stuff with the game as one thing I hate is going through a certain mission or doing a certain thing that took a lot of doing only for it to be right back at the beginning again. Also noticed a few bugs too like a deer stuck halfway in a tree. I shot a bunny rabbit and the dead carcas was a buffalo which it then let me skin.

So think I might leave it for later in the year.

The game does not save within missions, you have to complete them and they're generally on the shorter side. You must've left the Reverend mission halfway through or something like that. Whenever you start a mission, be sure to complete it and then go off to explore between them and just do stuff.

I'd suggest turning off autosave and saving manually. Whenever I, for example, found a new plant, animal or did some side stuff I'd save manually. Stuff always saved properly and I didn't risk doing something stupid and the game autosaving on me.

As for the bugs, it's hard to say, I spent like 100h on the PS4 Pro and never encountered anything, maybe some minor stuff. It's very similar on PC for me but looks miles better. And I've been hunting like crazy to get some silly outfits so that people could comment on how stupid I look;p

If you're not feeling it there's nothing worse than to slog through a game you don't enjoy. As I've said, it's a waste of time that you could be spending on games that gel with you. You're very early on but at that time in the game I was already upgrading satchels, hunting and finding stuff in the world, exploring towns etc. so it must just not be your cup of tea. It is a slow game, won't be to everyone's taste.

Soldato
The game is VERY polished by today's standards

The game does not save within missions, you have to complete them and they're generally on the shorter side. You must've left the Reverend mission halfway through or something like that. Whenever you start a mission, be sure to complete it and then go off to explore between them and just do stuff.

I'd suggest turning off autosave and saving manually. Whenever I, for example, found a new plant, animal or did some side stuff I'd save manually. Stuff always saved properly and I didn't risk doing something stupid and the game autosaving on me.

As for the bugs, it's hard to say, I spent like 100h on the PS4 Pro and never encountered anything, maybe some minor stuff. It's very similar on PC for me but looks miles better. And I've been hunting like crazy to get some silly outfits so that people could comment on how stupid I look;p

If you're not feeling it there's nothing worse than to slog through a game you don't enjoy. As I've said, it's a waste of time that you could be spending on games that gel with you. You're very early on but at that time in the game I was already upgrading satchels, hunting and finding stuff in the world, exploring towns etc. so it must just not be your cup of tea. It is a slow game, won't be to everyone's taste.

Yeah I think its too slow for me I dont have the time to spend on games like this. I had a feeling it would be this way. I`ll come back to it sometime in the future.

Soldato
Just reminds me of GTA V too much.

That can't be all that surprising, considering it's essentially GTA V with a 'Wild West' skin? :p

It is a significant time sink though, just following the story alone is generally regarded as a 50 hr commitment and that pretty much assumes spending no time whatsoever exploring the environment and 'life' that everyone raves about in the game.

And as you've discovered, not forgiving if you don't complete a mission from start to finish in one sitting.

Associate
After way too many hours in gta online with all the toxic hackers this games a breath of fresh air
don’t know why I waited so long to try out the single player definitely goes at its own pace just wish they would add f5 quick save :D

Associate
I bounced off this game on PS4 Pro mostly because I found the controls rather clunky using a controller, especially when gunfighting. Is mouse & keyboard a better experience ( on PC ) ?

Caporegime
Nope, this game due to the immersive slow animations etc. just plays better with a controller and you'll find that you'll get more irritated with the "slow" animations when using K+M

Soldato
I bounced off this game on PS4 Pro mostly because I found the controls rather clunky using a controller, especially when gunfighting. Is mouse & keyboard a better experience ( on PC ) ?

I tried M&KB but it's so bad I gave up and grabbed the XBox controller.

The key trick with 'gunfighting' is to constantly re-aim - as in, don't hold the aim button and try and aim with the sticks - keep tapping the aim button and it'll keep snapping to the nearest target.

Associate

Completed the whole thing on K+M and it was totally fine, I'd hate to think what gun fights were like with a crappy controller

Back
Top Bottom