Poll: How many push-ups can you do consecutively?

How many push-ups can you do consecutively?

• 0 - 20

Votes: 87 35.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 60 24.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 37 15.2%
  • 41 and beyond!

Votes: 60 24.6%

• Total voters
Consigliere
OP
I'm still not convinced by some of these numbers. I see very few people doing full range push ups and without the full range they are waaaay easier. Are people going chest to the floor through to arms locked out fully whilst being in control the whole time and not falling on the down movement.

Always full range of motion so all the way down - arms locked out and a tiny bit wider than shoulders. Will see what others say though. :p

At the moment I have been following Chris Heira's 100 push up routine which has 10 different types of push up. This has definitely pushed my ability to do more. So last June was 32 so double since then...slacking a bit to be honest. :o

Soldato
I do remember some challenge going round on Facebook not long ago and there was some god awful form, wouldn't even call some of them half reps.

Caporegime
Whatever you feel comfortable with, they all start to suck by week 3 :D
Tbh, when I tried their programme before, I found it hugely over-optimistic.

I.e. I had to repeat week two multiple times before I could move on to week three, etc.

Maybe the steroids I bought from eBay were defective :p (joking!)

Consigliere
OP
Tbh, when I tried their programme before, I found it hugely over-optimistic.

I.e. I had to repeat week two multiple times before I could move on to week three, etc.

Maybe the steroids I bought from eBay were defective :p (joking!)

Sounds like your diet wasn't good enough so you reached a plateau. ;)

But no on a serious note, I did struggle a bit but it shows you your limits. I am repeating Week 3,Day 2, Column 3 on Tuesday as I couldn't finish set 5 correctly (using my 10kg weightvest so gone back a bit)

Caporegime
Sounds like your diet wasn't good enough so you reached a plateau. ;)

But no on a serious note, I did struggle a bit but it shows you your limits. I am repeating Week 3,Day 2, Column 3 on Tuesday as I couldn't finish set 5 correctly (using my 10kg weightvest so gone back a bit)
About their central claim.. do you think many of us plebs (the non-gym going variety) could go from 0 to 100 (consecutive) push-ups in less than two months? I find myself very sceptical :p

Last time I tried this, I was regularly doing 100+ push-ups every day, but never more than 12 (ish) in any set/rep. I found that I was just hitting a wall (a fairly low, knee-high wall it must be said :p)

Soldato
Yeah to be honest with you, it looks wildly optimistic to me in 6 weeks but hey, 100 push ups a day is good even if you do it in parts.

Consigliere
OP
@FoxEye Agree it is a shade optimistic...I guess saying people can do it in 2 months rather than 1 year is far more enticing though for a plan. :p At least you can say "I didn't manage 100 after 2 months but I managed X".

@neoboy Guess it depends on how far you spread it out...could be an interesting challenge. 8am - 8pm is 12 hours so how many could you do? :)

Caporegime
Takes me 25 mins atm to do 9,11,8,8,11 properly (week two, day 1 on the plan; I've repeated this for a few days now.) By properly I mean resisting on the going down phase.

~10 mins of that is the gap between the last two sets :p Otherwise I have zero chance of doing the last set.

Soldato
Whilst a separate note, i found a similarly wild claim here. Suggesting "anyone" could do the splits in 4 weeks through stretching.

https://hyperbolicstretching.com/men/

It was tempting as flexibility is something i really suck at. Not to do the splits, but just be less stiff/mobile. However once trying to get past all the paid advertising, i found a youtube of a guy who tried it over 2 months with very little improvements. It was a bit disappointing. Not that the plan didn't work but how little he improved. I'd have hoped that a fairly strict stretching routine done regularly wouldn't seen some gains at least.

Soldato
That reminds me that I wanted to start stretching for a while too, not necessarily the splits but in general. Hell I did a yoga thing a while back which was actually decent, body felt great after all the stretching.

I have all the flexibility of a walrus at the moment, even with shifting weight last year :D

Soldato
Whilst a separate note, i found a similarly wild claim here. Suggesting "anyone" could do the splits in 4 weeks through stretching.

https://hyperbolicstretching.com/men/

It was tempting as flexibility is something i really suck at. Not to do the splits, but just be less stiff/mobile. However once trying to get past all the paid advertising, i found a youtube of a guy who tried it over 2 months with very little improvements. It was a bit disappointing. Not that the plan didn't work but how little he improved. I'd have hoped that a fairly strict stretching routine done regularly wouldn't seen some gains at least.

As an adult, developing flexibility to do the splits, or increase any range of motion significantly AND retain that range of motion at rest will take many months or years depending where you’re starting out, even if you’re following effective stretching principles like using contract-relax and reciprocal inhibition techniques (as espoused by people like Kit Laughlin of Stretch Therapy).

It varies so much because it’s not something that can be broken down into sets, reps or time like a training program for strength or couch to 5K; it’s nearly all neurological adaptations and there’s no one guaranteed length of time or type of stretching that will allow every person to relax into a stretch, be able to focus awareness on the sensations occurring and relax further into it, because this process happens for everyone slightly differently. Stretching ‘routines’ or programs that look like any other training modality are scams.

Permabanned
41+ as I assume its the wider ones like army do "GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 50!"

To do at shoulder width it is harder esp. with perfect form so about 25 in 1st set most times then 2mins rest and then 4 more sets but less each set obv.

Push-ups and pull/chin ups are the hardest tings you can do and also two of the best, far better than weights and takes raw strength as many weights guys I know cannot do 2-3 pull ups.

I can do 25 chin ups 1st set then again less on next 4 sets but pull ups are harder and I have let it slip lately so not sure how many but about 14-15 on a good day for 1st set then less on next 4 sets.

Soldato

To do at shoulder width it is harder esp. with perfect form so about 25 in 1st set most times then 2mins rest and then 4 more sets but less each set obv.

Push-ups and pull/chin ups are the hardest tings you can do and also two of the best, far better than weights and takes raw strength as many weights guys I know cannot do 2-3 pull ups.

I can do 25 chin ups 1st set then again less on next 4 sets but pull ups are harder and I have let it slip lately so not sure how many but about 14-15 on a good day for 1st set then less on next 4 sets.

I can't even do a pull up, a combination of being fat and weak!

I can just about do a couple of chin ups.

Permabanned
Well just hang from the bar as long as you can, do that each morning and before bed (say try for 30sec to 2mins each) then one day you will do 1 pull up in fact I would advise you do chin-ups instead with (palms towards you and shoulder width apart) then you will get some muscle and can try both.

BTW I am overweight a bit like many in this lockdown (not eating more just at wrong times added to stress lack of sleep looking after terminally ill mother) and I am 49yrs old so have been unfit and fat a few times in my adult life.

Caporegime

Ah that's good to know; been doing them at shoulder width and feeling like a complete pussy as after several weeks I've only progressed to 14 consecutive :p

Every guide out there said do them at shoulder width so I did :p

Back
Top Bottom