Just received my Ryzen 5950x and B550-E for new build and I get code 00 - No post - just... great

Associate
Just received my Ryzen 5950x and B550-E combo and I get code 00. When psu power is on the motherboard lights up but when I press power on the fans spin for a split second then it goes straight to code 00

I have tested this with everything installed and I have also tested this bare with only cpu and PSU but still get the same code.

I have also tested with a different power supply but still code 00.

I also tried updating the BIOS using the BIOS FlashBack to latest build "1801" and also tried the earlier build "1004". Was able to update the BIOS I believe. Motherboard shows 00 after doing BIOS flashback.

I have also tried taking BIOS battery out and waiting a few mins... for what that was worth.

Had a look at the CPU pins and they all look perfect, no bent pins. The socket also appeared to be clean.

Anybody else having this issue?

Associate
OP
00 indicates a general boot failure from what I can see, could be memory, CPU or mobo really. What RAM do you have?
Also, plugged the auxiliary power cable in up by the CPU?

Hi there, I have the Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 ram. I have been testing this mainly bare, motherboard, ram, and psu.

Sorry, what do you mean by "Also, plugged the auxiliary power cable in up by the CPU?"?

Man of Honour
If it doesn't even start I'd suspect PSU or motherboard, double check all the power connectors are firmly seated and the front panel pwr/reset connectors are in the right places.

Associate
You have the big wide 20pin power on the long edge of the board by the ram, but there is a smaller cpu power pin connector up in the corner near the rear io panel and the vrm area. Generally 1 edge anti clockwise from the big main power connector.
That’s what he means.

Associate
OP
If it doesn't even start I'd suspect PSU or motherboard, double check all the power connectors are firmly seated and the front panel pwr/reset connectors are in the right places.
I have tested this with a known working PSU and same code.

I have been switching the power on from jumping the headers. This motherboard hasn't been near a case yet, just sitting on the motherboard packaging

Associate
OP
I have tested this with a known working PSU and same code.

I have been switching the power on from jumping the headers. This motherboard hasnt been near a case yet, just sitting on the motherboard packaging
You have the big wide 20pin power on the long edge of the board by the ram, but there is a smaller cpu power pin connector up in the corner near the rear io panel and the vrm area. Generally 1 edge anti clockwise from the big main power connector.
That’s what he means.
Oh, eh I see now. No nothing is plugged into that auxilliary port. I have only tried this with the 20 pin power + 4 joined next to it.

Should I have this 20 + 4 pin AND the auxiliary port (8 + 4 Pin named EATX12V-1 and EATX12V-2) plugged in at the same time?

Associate
OP
Ohh right I see. I had hoped that the big 20 + 4 pin would have been enough...

I bought a moudlar power supply, be quiet straight power 11 660W. Looking at the cables that came with this PSU, I see the only other cable terminates to two 4 pin blocks. This auxiliary port has 1 block with 8 pins and the other block with 4 pins.

- what aux block should I use?

Associate

I bought a moudlar power supply, be quiet straight power 11 660W. Looking at the cables that came with this PSU, I see the only other cable terminates to two 4 pin blocks. This auxiliary port has 1 block with 8 pins and the other block with 4 pins.

Does the 8 pin block split in two?
Usually the insertable end to the PSU will indicate if it's a CPU or VGA connector etc.

These are typically keyed so only insert in the right one.

For the straight power 11 I believe it's the P8/P4 and there's also a big connector MB if needed as well.

Only plugging in the 24 pin but not a 4 or 8 in the top left of the board will cause a failure.

Man of Honour

2 x 4 pins go into the 8 pin on the motherboard.

Associate
OP
2 x 4 pins go into the 8 pin on the motherboard.
Right, well after plugging that in, I actually get another code "0d". Thats the first time I have got anything other than 00! Don't wanna get too hyped up in case there still is a problem. I only tested this like this with the motherboard, cpu and psu.

Man of Honour
Right, well after plugging that in, I actually get another code "0d". Thats the first time I have got anything other than 00! Don't wanna get too hyped up in case there still is a problem. I only tested this like this with the motherboard, cpu and psu.
Install memory, gpu and ssd connect monitor to the gpu and test.

Associate

Install a gpu and connect the cable to a monitor. Open the BIOS by smashing F2 or del repeatedly after powering on and then set the ram timings and voltages manually to what is listed on their sticker.

Associate
OP
Install memory, gpu and ssd connect monitor to the gpu and test.

Install a gpu and connect the cable to a monitor. Open the BIOS by smashing F2 or del repeatedly after powering on and then set the ram timings and voltages manually to what is listed on their sticker.

Wow this actually worked. I am now able to get an image and into the BIOS, recognises RAM and NVME!

The post code is at A9 which seems promising.

You guys are amazing! I guess plugging in that AUX power did the trick.

Really appreciate that this was pointed out to me even though I’m guessing this was obvious to everybody else.

Man of Honour
Wow this actually worked. I am now able to get an image and into the BIOS, recognises RAM and NVME!

The post code is at A9 which seems promising.

You guys are amazing! I guess plugging in that AUX power did the trick.

Really appreciate that this was pointed out to me even though I’m guessing this was obvious to everybody else.
Glad you making progress now its time to install Windows, im off to bed ill check back in the morning to see how your getting on.

Associate
OP
Thanks again mickyflinn and everybody else suggestions.

I will also be going to bed as it’s been a stressful day with this.

This system was being tested in its box so it will need to be disassembled and fitted inside the case. Is it worth installing Windows beforehand?

Back
Top Bottom