DSL-AC88U not allowing to limit bw per device. Need a solution.

Associate
Hi, this forums always have directed me to the right direction/product.

I own a DSL-AC88U. It only has QoS which has upload limitations per device. What do I need to buy so I could have limit per device?

Thanks.

Permabanned
Under QOS there should be a QOS Type tick box for bandwidth limiter which should allow you to set the limits for every device. If not then I wonder if you need an update?

Last edited:
Associate
This is from a RT-AC68U interface.

Bandwidth limiting per device can be done under the QOS page.

Should be something similar on the DSL-AC88U interface.

Latest firmware for the DSL-AC88U is dated 2018/12/14 and Asus released the DSL-AC88U around 2017 and just after about a year no more firmware update.

Also the limiter function do not work properly if using a vpn.

hoTnfTA.jpg

Associate
OP
This is from a RT-AC68U interface.

Bandwidth limiting per device can be done under the QOS page.

Should be something similar on the DSL-AC88U interface.

Latest firmware for the DSL-AC88U is dated 2018/12/14 and Asus released the DSL-AC88U around 2017 and just after about a year no more firmware update.

Also the limiter function do not work properly if using a vpn.

hoTnfTA.jpg

I assume you have RT ASUS, mine is DSL. Therefore I do not have this option.

https://imgur.com/a/cmWlA3u - I can only control upload per device, assign what packets will get what priority in the traffic queue.

Associate
Are you running the latest firmware? If you are and the option is not there then using your DSL-AC88U is out.

Can you put your DSL-AC88U in modem mode and get a router like RT-AC68U to do the per device limiting, though the RT-AC68U wifi is slower than your DSL-AC88U.

If your using a VPN the RT-AC68U can only muster around 25 Mbps to 40 Mbps throughput.

I think it would be best if you make a new spec me thread for a modem/router combo or just a router if you can put your DSL-AC88U in modem mode.

Associate
OP
Are you running the latest firmware? If you are and the option is not there then using your DSL-AC88U is out.

Can you put your DSL-AC88U in modem mode and get a router like RT-AC68U to do the per device limiting, though the RT-AC68U wifi is slower than your DSL-AC88U.

If your using a VPN the RT-AC68U can only muster around 25 Mbps to 40 Mbps throughput.

I think it would be best if you make a new spec me thread for a modem/router combo or just a router if you can put your DSL-AC88U in modem mode.

I am running the latest firmware indeed. It makes me laugh that router which costs so much money does not have all this inside already and more purchase is required. I will return this to vendor immediately. should have gone through product description properly. Thanks for all the tips guys, as always, appreciated.

Permabanned
I am running the latest firmware indeed. It makes me laugh that router which costs so much money does not have all this inside already and more purchase is required. I will return this to vendor immediately. should have gone through product description properly. Thanks for all the tips guys, as always, appreciated.

Well, if you are certain it is not there, then I would buy a separate DSL modem like the Vigor 130 and then get a router that can do it. I don't know which router you should get but I do know that the Asus RT-AX82U can. I am sure the board though can tell you of a cheaper router that can.

Back
Top Bottom